Why podcasters (and bootleggers?) will love the new iPod
It was one of our top feature requests, and frankly, one that was overdue. The new “iPod with video” has finally upped the ante on audio recording quality, so for the first time in two years, fans of iPod recorders can rejoice.
This new iPod can record in two modes - we’ve heard them called “standard and extended,” and seen them called “low” and “high” on Apple’s web page. Low is 22.05KHz, monaural - nothing special, but perfectly adequate for podcasts. High is 44.1KHz and stereo - potentially ideal for CD-quality recording. We recorded our first two podcasts on iPods at 8KHz, and though they worked, the audio quality wasn’t impressive.
Good guys will see this new feature as a way to use microphones and line-in accessories - not yet released - to make easily portable podcasts and other legal recordings of audio content. Some people will, of course, try to make direct-to-iPod recordings of things they probably shouldn’t record - like someone else’s CDs.
Apple’s decision to force all recordings into WAV format - an outdated, huge, entirely uncompressed way of storing audio - is actually pretty ingenious. The new iPod most likely can record directly into MP3 format. But by forcing files into WAVs, Apple limits the practical likelihood that you’ll copy libraries of CDs or pull other tricks with your iPod. It would be just too inconvenient, time- and space-consuming, and require you to use iTunes to convert into MP3 anyway.
The one possible loophole: live concerts. Recording these with an iPod mic will now be as easy as it is with a tape recorder. But still harder than with most of the iPod’s numerous competitors, which often include line-in and microphone recording direct to MP3 or other formats without any charge, or challenge. A full-sized iPod loaded with other content won’t be able to hold too many hours of uncompressed, WAV recordings, so don’t expect iPodalooza or iOzzfest to be recorded in entirety on an iPod.
In our view, the new feature gives portable podcasters what they want, and precludes the recording industry from complaining too much about Apple’s compromises. Now bring on the new microphones!
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple reverses course on iOS calculator widgets
- Tim Cook: ‘I’m proud to be gay’
- AT&T and Verizon tracking customer web activity
- iOS updates causing Mophie Juice Pack Air compatibility problems?
- FTC launches complaint against AT&T over unlimited data throttling policies
- Apple VP Joswiak testy at Code/Mobile event
- Cook discusses Apple Pay, Watch, iPod classic at WSJD Live
- Apple TV adds Hallmark’s Feeln and A&E’s FYI channels
- Fitbit announces Charge, Charge HR + Surge health and fitness trackers
- Apple looking to expand NFC use beyond Apple Pay
- Rokform Crystal v3 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Bodycon, LifePro, and Helio for iPhone 6 + Bodycon for iPhone 6 Plus
- Trident Case Aegis, Cyclops, Kraken A.M.S. + Perseus for iPhone 6
- Incipio Stowaway Advance for iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPad Air 2 Smart Case
- Apple iPad mini 3
- Alpine Headphones
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0