Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does adding a credit card to Apple Pay automatically add a card to the list of saved credit cards in Safari? Is there any relationship between these cards and the cards in Apple Pay? More importantly, if I delete a card in Safari, will it also be deleted from Apple Pay? I ask because I have a duplicate of one of my cards, and I don’t recall entering it. That’s the one card I’ve added to Apple Pay, so it seems possible there’s a relationship, and I really don’t want to delete the card from Apple Pay.
A: There isn’t really any actual “link” between the credit cards listed in the Safari Passwords & Autofill section and the cards used by Apple Pay. That said, however, when you add a credit card to Apple Pay, iOS will also add it to your saved credit cards in Safari in an effort to be helpful and provide a consistent payment experience on your device.
The good news, however, is that this is where the relationship between the entries ends. Removing a card from the Passwords & Autofill section on your iPhone will not remove it from Apple Pay, nor will removing a card from Apple Pay remove that card from the Passwords & Autofill section. In other words, the card information simply gets individually added to both places when you first set it up for Apple Pay, however there is no association between the two entries. This applies regardless of whether you remove the card from Autofill directly on your iPhone, or from another iCloud Keychain-connected device, such as an iPad or Mac.
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10