Winners Announced: iLounge Wallpaper Contest
Few of our past contests have been easy to judge, but judging the iLounge Wallpaper Contest was one of the most difficult in memory. Of the roughly 750 entries we received, around 100 were at least “good,” and we felt that 62 were great enough to be serious contenders for our three top prizes. Since there were so many fantastic submissions, we wanted to award a few runners up with prizes, too, so we’ll be sending out iLounge t-shirts to several entries that were just outside our top three.
Congratulations to all of the winners, and thanks to everyone for submitting such superb wallpaper. You can download full-sized versions of these entries (and nearly 1,200 other images) from our Desktop/Wallpaper Art Gallery, and enjoy them as desktop art on your own computer.
Grand Prize Winner, of an Apple iPhone:
iPodopolis, by Curtis Whaley
Editors’ Notes: “iPodopolis” was an early entry, and quickly established itself as the submission to beat. iLounge’s editors unanimously liked the image and agreed that it deserved to be one of our winners; it was strong on theme, and artistically interesting.
Second Prize Winner, of an Apple TV:
iLounge, by Mark Kempken
Editors’ Notes: Simply titled “iLounge,” Mark Kempken’s latest submission is a 3-D rendered but understated masterpiece. The required iPod sits subtly on a chair in a modern room, with an Apple TV - not required for the competition, but still eye-catching - and a modern widescreen television on a modern table system. As Larry Angell put it, “it just ‘feels good’ to me… I like how it’s not in your face.” It’s a subtle alternative to the heavily iPod-focused winner, and coincidentally fits its Second Place prize.
Third Prize Winner, of one iPod nano and one iPod shuffle in the winner’s selected colors (red and orange):
Happy Little Center (Versions 1-3), by Brian Joseph
Editors’ Notes: If “iPodopolis” is filled with iPods, and “iLounge” is more subtle, “Happy Little Center” is the fun, abstract take on the contest’s theme. As the artist explains, “I designed this wallpaper to describe what iLounge is to so many of us: a community that lives around the happy little center we call the iPod.” The blue version - our favorite - has a paper-like texture, while the green and orange versions are smooth.
We considered each of these entries - and some of the ones below - as top ten options to win the contest. The six entries above each win an iLounge t-shirt for their efforts. Below, we’ve highlighted just some of our other favorites. There are many, many others in the full Gallery.
Again, congratulations to all of the winners! Expect another contest - with even more amazing prizes - very, very soon.
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?