Winners Announced: iLounge Wallpaper Contest
Few of our past contests have been easy to judge, but judging the iLounge Wallpaper Contest was one of the most difficult in memory. Of the roughly 750 entries we received, around 100 were at least “good,” and we felt that 62 were great enough to be serious contenders for our three top prizes. Since there were so many fantastic submissions, we wanted to award a few runners up with prizes, too, so we’ll be sending out iLounge t-shirts to several entries that were just outside our top three.
Congratulations to all of the winners, and thanks to everyone for submitting such superb wallpaper. You can download full-sized versions of these entries (and nearly 1,200 other images) from our Desktop/Wallpaper Art Gallery, and enjoy them as desktop art on your own computer.
Grand Prize Winner, of an Apple iPhone:
iPodopolis, by Curtis Whaley
Editors’ Notes: “iPodopolis” was an early entry, and quickly established itself as the submission to beat. iLounge’s editors unanimously liked the image and agreed that it deserved to be one of our winners; it was strong on theme, and artistically interesting.
Second Prize Winner, of an Apple TV:
iLounge, by Mark Kempken
Editors’ Notes: Simply titled “iLounge,” Mark Kempken’s latest submission is a 3-D rendered but understated masterpiece. The required iPod sits subtly on a chair in a modern room, with an Apple TV - not required for the competition, but still eye-catching - and a modern widescreen television on a modern table system. As Larry Angell put it, “it just ‘feels good’ to me… I like how it’s not in your face.” It’s a subtle alternative to the heavily iPod-focused winner, and coincidentally fits its Second Place prize.
Third Prize Winner, of one iPod nano and one iPod shuffle in the winner’s selected colors (red and orange):
Happy Little Center (Versions 1-3), by Brian Joseph
Editors’ Notes: If “iPodopolis” is filled with iPods, and “iLounge” is more subtle, “Happy Little Center” is the fun, abstract take on the contest’s theme. As the artist explains, “I designed this wallpaper to describe what iLounge is to so many of us: a community that lives around the happy little center we call the iPod.” The blue version - our favorite - has a paper-like texture, while the green and orange versions are smooth.
We considered each of these entries - and some of the ones below - as top ten options to win the contest. The six entries above each win an iLounge t-shirt for their efforts. Below, we’ve highlighted just some of our other favorites. There are many, many others in the full Gallery.
Again, congratulations to all of the winners! Expect another contest - with even more amazing prizes - very, very soon.
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?