Winners Announced: iLounge Wallpaper Contest
Few of our past contests have been easy to judge, but judging the iLounge Wallpaper Contest was one of the most difficult in memory. Of the roughly 750 entries we received, around 100 were at least “good,” and we felt that 62 were great enough to be serious contenders for our three top prizes. Since there were so many fantastic submissions, we wanted to award a few runners up with prizes, too, so we’ll be sending out iLounge t-shirts to several entries that were just outside our top three.
Congratulations to all of the winners, and thanks to everyone for submitting such superb wallpaper. You can download full-sized versions of these entries (and nearly 1,200 other images) from our Desktop/Wallpaper Art Gallery, and enjoy them as desktop art on your own computer.
Grand Prize Winner, of an Apple iPhone:
iPodopolis, by Curtis Whaley
Editors’ Notes: “iPodopolis” was an early entry, and quickly established itself as the submission to beat. iLounge’s editors unanimously liked the image and agreed that it deserved to be one of our winners; it was strong on theme, and artistically interesting.
Second Prize Winner, of an Apple TV:
iLounge, by Mark Kempken
Editors’ Notes: Simply titled “iLounge,” Mark Kempken’s latest submission is a 3-D rendered but understated masterpiece. The required iPod sits subtly on a chair in a modern room, with an Apple TV - not required for the competition, but still eye-catching - and a modern widescreen television on a modern table system. As Larry Angell put it, “it just ‘feels good’ to me… I like how it’s not in your face.” It’s a subtle alternative to the heavily iPod-focused winner, and coincidentally fits its Second Place prize.
Third Prize Winner, of one iPod nano and one iPod shuffle in the winner’s selected colors (red and orange):
Happy Little Center (Versions 1-3), by Brian Joseph
Editors’ Notes: If “iPodopolis” is filled with iPods, and “iLounge” is more subtle, “Happy Little Center” is the fun, abstract take on the contest’s theme. As the artist explains, “I designed this wallpaper to describe what iLounge is to so many of us: a community that lives around the happy little center we call the iPod.” The blue version - our favorite - has a paper-like texture, while the green and orange versions are smooth.
We considered each of these entries - and some of the ones below - as top ten options to win the contest. The six entries above each win an iLounge t-shirt for their efforts. Below, we’ve highlighted just some of our other favorites. There are many, many others in the full Gallery.
Again, congratulations to all of the winners! Expect another contest - with even more amazing prizes - very, very soon.
- Quickly And Wisely Reducing Your iCloud Footprint
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of Apple TV 6.0
- Easing Your Transition To iOS 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 7.0
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPhone Lineup, 5c + 5s
- iOS 7: Maps, Passbook, Compass + Notes
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts