Wired remotes for 5th generation iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Wired remotes for 5th generation iPod

By Jerrod H.

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, December 1, 2005
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, Accessories

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q:

My old 3rd generation 15GB iPod came with a great wired remote that I used all the time, leaving my iPod in my pocket or bag while controlling it. I just upgraded to the new 5th generation iPod, only to find out that not only does this iPod not come with a wired remote anymore, it isn’t compatible with my old one. Is there anything I can replace it with?

- Anonymous

A: Yes. At the time of this writing, Brando ($18) offers an “iPod Video Remote Control” that simply mirrors Apple’s 3G remote functionality in the dock connector format.

In the near future, expect to see Griffin’s iFM for Dock Connector ($50), an inline remote with functionality for play, pause, FF, RWD, next, previous, and volume - just like Apple’s. In addition, it’s also an FM radio receiver and a microphone. You’ll also have the option to switch to a wireless remote such as the AirClick for Dock Connector ($40). Neither has been released yet, but they’re coming.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« iPod’s free space indicator misbehaving

Avoiding iTalk/iPod interference »

Comments

About the Rolling Stone top 500, I have completed such a list using the first method by just dragging them into a manual play list.  The other thing I did that you might want to consider was to put the rank in the song title—Like A Rolling Stone (1)—that way I can look on my screen and see the rank.

I was thankful for iTunes for having the ability to enhance my collection by purchasing a song at a time, though I am missing seven songs and have five others where I am searching for the original artist.

Posted by Scot I on December 2, 2005 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

Hi, I am interested in the “Ten” flex dock.  I have a question about its use. (& other similar products)

I have purchased a casette adapter from apple that uses the dock connecocter.  This device permits some control of the iPod from my steering wheel.

With the flex dock I notice that it uses a standard jack connector for the audio, which means I would have to purchase the older style cassette adapter and loose some functionality from the steering wheel.

My question is this.  Do you sell, or do you know of a source, for an adaptor so that you can connect both power to the ipod and take advantage of a second connection to the dock.  In other words, it would have to by like a ‘Y’ connector with 1 in, and 2 outs for the dock.

Apple has made it very difficult to supply power and other peripherals at the same time.  We need a stackable dock connector or something to get access to the dock from more than one peripheral at a time…or at least one peripheral and dc power.

Thanx for your help
mark

Posted by iPod-ude on December 2, 2005 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

A tip for sorting large playlists: you can really speed things up when organizing a manual playlist. It’s a little hard to explain it, but say you’re working with a list of 500 items, and you have #1, #2, #3, etc. in their comments. You can then search on, say, #41 and organize #s 410-419 relative to one another. This way, you can work with sets of ten or whatever rather than the full list so your time spent dragging and dropping is *drastically* reduced.

Note that in the above example, #41 itself will be there, too, of course, but you’ll probably want to leave it alone, since as you act on the items, iTunes remembers how you’re placing them relative to one another, such that if you drag all of 410-419 below #41 or drag #41 above #410, iTunes will think you want it to really be *right there*, and, if you’d already sorted the 40s, #41 will now be right before #410. That’s the trick that I’m not sure how to explain clearly, but once you’ve seen it a few times, you can figure it out and how to avoid it!

I’ve been working on collecting Rolling Stone’s top 500 albums and if I hadn’t figured this out, I would’ve gone postal by now!

Posted by kimota on December 2, 2005 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

My hard drive recently crashed and i lost all my music on iTunes. How can i put the music that is on my ipod back onto my new downloaded iTunes. I have heard that you have to disable ‘Automatic Updates’ (i cant find this setting in iTunes) but also that Apple has disabled this so you cant put music back straight throught the itunes. I am worried that if i plug my ipod back onto my computer that it will automatically delete everything as the library is empty.
Please help!!

Posted by FleurAB on December 3, 2005 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

i recently bought a new pc and moved my music to it. my library now has two copies of every song. when you try to listen to one copy, it gives this message, “the song could not be used because the original file could not be found. would you like to locate it?” and an exclamation point shows up in the far left box. when i delete each of this type of file, they return the next time i open itunes. i have a file called “previous itunes libraries” on my new computer and there are three files in there. (i don’t remember creating these, so i’m not sure if i did, or if they were automatically created.)

suggestions for solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

Posted by lifecontained on December 4, 2005 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Hello All,
Ok I have a question… I was doin’ a lil surfin’ and found a shower radio that you can put your Ipod into and play your tunes.
DOes anyone know anything about it and if it safe for my Pod??? It looks kind of cool and is inexpensive but I dont know anything about it.

Posted by Happy05 on December 5, 2005 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

So do you mean that Griffin’s iFM is compatible with the 5G iPod then? It doesn’t say so on their website.

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on December 6, 2005 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

Magic Rabbits -

Griffin will soon be shipping a 5G-compatible version of the iFM, which uses the 5G iPod’s dock connector instead of the now-defunct remote control port.  Stay tuned.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on December 7, 2005 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

FleurAB: Step 1 is to not let iTunes TOUCH your iPod until you’ve copied your music off.  When you plug it in, iTunes will open and you’ll get a message about your iPod.  CANCEL OUT of this message and close iTunes.  Then you can use ephPod or PodWorks or whatever to copy your songs.  Don’t let iTunes do anything to your iPod until you’ve got the music off of it.  Then just set it up like it was a new iPod.  You’ll have to copy all your music back, but you won’t lose your songs.

lifecontained: well, you can do one of a number of things…if you’ve had iTunes keep track of all your music and you don’t have a lot of iTunes specific meta-data (like playlists, ratings, or playcount) you care about, you can just delete the iTunes library.xml file, de-install and re-install iTunes, and have it search for all your files anew.  you can also do a “Show Duplicate Songs” in iTunes 4.9+, then sort by Date Added ascending…the top files will be all your inaccessible dupes, ready to be deleted.

the “previous itunes library” files are written every time you add, delete or change a file in your library.

Posted by dasmegabyte on December 7, 2005 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

I started out with shuffle. Now I have a deal and got my IPod 15GB. You can use cords from future IPods for connecting with your 15gb right? EG. IPod Mini USB cord used for IPod 15GB.

Posted by Vypre on March 29, 2006 at 4:29 PM (PDT)