Wishing for a play queue for iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Wishing for a play queue for iPod

I had a party at my house a couple days ago. It wasn’t really a party, just a handful of guests, enjoying beverages, snacks, and good music. All of the music was provided by my 20GB iPod, which was attached via RCA cable to my stereo receiver.

My guests thought that it was the neatest thing; they would just pass the iPod around, and each of them would play a song or two. It took each guest only a couple minutes to master how the iPod worked. There were even a couple friendly “fights” over who would get to play the next song. As a whole, my iPod was a smash hit amongst my guests; they loved having control over the music and throughout the evening, I had heard many comments like “That is such a cool device” and “I’ve got to get me one of these!”

I found myself wanting two things more for the evening. First, I wanted to go cordless. I put an iTrip on my future shopping list, so that the next time I have a party, we could still play “pass the iPod,” but with no cord. Of course, my roommate suggested that since there was a cable on the iPod, I wouldn’t have to worry about it “walking off” - something that I would have to worry about if it were cordless via iTrip. No worries, I’ll just implement some simple background checks on my guests before my next party; I’m sure they wouldn’t mind.

Second, and most importantly, I found myself lamenting the iPod’s lack of a play queue. I had to explain to each user that they would have to wait until the currently playing song was over to play their song. There were several times that one of them would forget and start playing their song immediately, cutting off the currently playing song.

Most guests knew what was up. When I was showing them how to use the iPod initially, several spoke up and asked me “So, does it just play, or does it queue the song up?” Of course, it just plays it. So, I would advise them how to best “hover” over their choice of song - navigate to it, leave the iPod alone, and when it was time to play, hit “Menu” and then hit the select button. Crude, but it works.

The worst part about using my iPod in this particular party environment was that you could only select one song in advance; you couldn’t queue a few up and then pass the iPod to the guest on the left hand side. And when you were passed the iPod, you had just a few minutes (or until the song that was currently playing was over) to browse through all of my music and make your selection.

So, not having a play queue wasn’t a deal breaker. The iPod was a hit at my party. But there was a noticeable hole in the experience, and it all revolved around the fact that my guests couldn’t queue music up.

If I wanted a play queue bad enough, I could have arranged it. There are a ton of media players available that all have playqueues: Winamp, J River’s Media Center 9, Windows Media Player, and so on; I could have just set up a computer with my music library. If I had owned a different portable music player, perhaps one made by Creative that has a play queue, it wouldn’t have been a problem. Sure, it was my choice to use the iPod instead of one of the iPod’s competitors, but I didn’t.

I’m not the only one who wishes the iPod had a queue. Browsing through the iLounge.com forums will turn up several discontent users, all wishing that their favorite digital music player had this most basic of features. I can’t understand how a queue hasn’t made it into the iPod’s controls yet; everyone else seems to have one.

It’s not just about convenience, either. Depending on a user’s needs, it is almost a necessity. If the iPod could hold only two or three full CDs worth of music, it wouldn’t be an issue at all. Users would be happy enough browsing through the playlists that they have created.

But my iPod has, at this moment, 3438 songs. That is an incredible amount of music. It is just impossible to come up with a playlist, or even a smart playlist, that could fit every mood and every occasion. Even the most staunch members of the “just construct your playlists with care” crew must submit that with the staggering amount of music that fits onto a device like an iPod, it is completely irrational to suggest that playlists, even smart playlists, can be a substitute for a working play queue. You just can’t plan ahead for times when the “What I want to hear next” bug strikes.

I’m not here to tell Apple how to implement it, either from a back-end perspective or from a UI perspective. There are developers at Apple who get paid well enough to make a much better decision on that than I possibly could. I would just like to raise my voice as an ardent proponent of adding this functionality. A play queue would be an excellent addition to an already excellent product. It would add an enormous convenience factor.

To be frank, I can’t imagine how this feature isn’t already included. With the expansive capacities of iPods, coupled with the ongoing outcries of iPod users and with the fact that this feature has implemented in the iPod’s competition, I am shocked that Apple hasn’t stepped up to the plate and implemented a play queue.

« My iPod Buying Experience

How to fill a 5Gb iPod »

Comments

“...I am shocked that Apple hasn’t stepped up to the plate and implemented a play queue.” - Kurt Young

They’re perpetuaing a track record of similar business decisions.  Thinking different, and acting different are not the same. =(

Posted by AMG on April 25, 2003 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

You know, this is a very good idea.  I use my iPod everyday and its a pain in the butt when you’re distracted during your commute by a bus, train, whatever while trying to queue up the next song.

Sometimes you want to improvise a certain flow that wasn’t programmed in your playlist.

A playing queue would be a great feature that firmware could add.

Did you send this article to Apple? You should.

Posted by deepkid on April 25, 2003 at 11:10 AM (CDT)

GOD yes, please give us this!  I had a Nomad Jukebox for a week (until it busted and I ordered an iPod) and it’s a great way to “DJ” in any situation.  Just put it on random, add a few songs and let anyone around add whatever they want.  Plus if Apple would give us a way to save the playlists you can make a mix while you’re waiting at the laundry!

Of course what I really want is a way to dump photos off of CompactFlash…

Posted by Ken on April 25, 2003 at 12:59 PM (CDT)

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Those who know me also know that this is one of my few personal “crusades.”  I just won’t shut up about it.

So, with that in mind, here’s more discussion on this topic in our new forums.

Posted by c.c.r. in Seattle, WA on April 25, 2003 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

As far as wireless is concerned, this little device has just started shipping:

iTrip:

Posted by ZeroVince on April 25, 2003 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

There should be a queue feature and this is how it should work…

You select a song when one is already playing.  It then asks you add to queue?  or   play now?

Easy and straight forward.

Posted by MLWings on April 28, 2003 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

Woot!

Apple has indeed taken my article to heart and implemented a playqueue (what they call the “On the go” playlist) in version 2.0 of the iPod firmware!

I’ll go ahead and take full credit for this development.  Here’s to me!!

:-)

Posted by c.c.r. in Seattle, WA on April 29, 2003 at 3:37 PM (CDT)

Ah yes. For those of you with service contracts, esp at BestBuy, find fault with your existing iPOD, and trade up to the new button models. They should be able to likeforlike it with the new models since the older ones are out of stock.

Posted by pianoplayer on April 29, 2003 at 6:53 PM (CDT)

Unfortunately, Apple has now come out and said that 2.0 won’t work on legacy iPods.  Anyone who’s purchased an iPod prior to 28 April 2003 will never have a playqueue on it.

Pathetic.  My opinion, of course.

>:(

Posted by c.c.r. in Seattle, WA on April 30, 2003 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

well, yes, they implemented the playqueue but this is only available for New iPods!
Apple should really come up with a version 1.4 for older iPods WITH the playqueue

Posted by frederic bonn in NYC on May 1, 2003 at 2:01 PM (CDT)

And, I think they can if they wanted to. It is all software, which can be changed again and again and again…...................

Posted by Sux89 on May 2, 2003 at 9:38 AM (CDT)

I second firmware version 1.4 with playqueue.

I wish that damn thing would be open source. I could whip it up in 1-2 days.

Posted by pbox on May 2, 2003 at 4:47 PM (CDT)

Apple has become microsoft.

I am selling my powerbook.

I am disgusted with this shameless grab for cash.

Posted by Screaming Baboon in Japan on May 2, 2003 at 11:24 PM (CDT)

Apple is stupid if they don’t create a firmware update with playqueue.  I am sure they will eventually.  The real question is WHEN???

Posted by MLWings on May 3, 2003 at 8:37 AM (CDT)

so why dont they make it open source….  its not like anyone ‘buys’ the software… so they wont loose any money.. and its not like you can use the software for anything other than an ipod….

making it open source would make ipods all the better because we would actually have decent software then

Posted by Jay on May 4, 2003 at 7:16 AM (CDT)

indeed, just like the open source OS that they claim is so fantastic.

may I be a smart ass and draw an opensource line in the sand?

marketing department vs consumers

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 4, 2003 at 7:31 AM (CDT)

I love the “On the Go” playlist on my new iPod.  As this 30GB model is my first, I never knew the old ones had no ability to que songs. You just start playing the playlist and find songs (or folders of songs) and hold the middle button until the title flashes.  Now its on the end of the playlist, jukebox style (you could have the shuffle on, also). That makes me really scared that Apple will come out with the next generation of iPods in a few years with some really cool software improvements and never upgrade my “old 30GB”.  Are there at least 3rd part software hacks, that address this seemingly simple programing issue?  Rock on iPod peeps!

Posted by Mike in Atlanta, GA on May 4, 2003 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

Great ... nice to let us know mike ... but you’re missing the point

We’ve spent enough money on our first iPOD and don’t really feel like spending more on a new one ... we want the PTG option on the *cough* ‘old’ *cough* iPods ...

ASAP !

Posted by Oenie in Belgium on May 5, 2003 at 12:38 AM (CDT)

I’m seriously dissapointed by the iPod’s lack of queue ability.  It seems like they took everything else into consideration and somehow were too damn close to the forest to see the trees.  I really wish that mac would get in line and put forth an update ASAP.  Furthermore, what’s up with the new design…now the iPod looks like every other bourgious gadget on the market.  Although it sounds silly, the iPod’s sleek, minimal and contemporary design is what first drew my attention to it.  Not only is the original design an aesthetic wonder, it’s also quite intuitive and makes exploring mp3s a breeze.  The iPod is on the verge of becoming the benchmark in MP3 players, its too bad mac keeps tripping over their own feet with this one.

Posted by pOly on May 5, 2003 at 2:50 AM (CDT)

pOly,

What are the other “bourgious” gadgets the iPod looks just like now? I just got a new 15GB, and if it can’t be describd as “sleek” and “minimal,” I don’t know what could… Same thing with your implication that the iPod is somehow no longer intuitive.

Posted by hexgrd on May 5, 2003 at 8:51 AM (CDT)

The downside to the “On The Go” playlist on the new iPods is that it is cleared every time you sync to your computer.

Craig

Posted by Craig in San Diego, CA on May 5, 2003 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

Another downisde to the “On The Go” playlist is that it isn’t a queue at all.  It’s a playlist just like all of your other playlists.

You build your OTG playlist differently—you do it on the iPod instead of your computer.

You use your OTG playlist EXACTLY THE SAME as every other playlist.  Listen to it all or manually change the music.

OTG is not a queue.  iPods still don’t have a queue.

I will mention this to my friends who talk to me about “which MP3 player should I buy, Kurt?”  I’ll mention that they can save $150 and get double the capacity AND a queue with one of the Creative players.

Sure, I’ll tell ‘em that my iPod RULES, because it does… but a working playqueue IS a selling point, I don’t care what Apple’s marketing dept. says…

Posted by c.c.r. in Seattle, WA on May 6, 2003 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

Well, I’ve been discussing this elsewhere (my site, another thread) but I wanted to put my two cents in here: Mike makes a good point, and users of new iPods should care [almost] as much as those of us with older models about Apple bringing playqueuing to the masses. Sure my iPod is great without it, but it’s such an obvious oversight (as many have said since the beginning). Giving it to us would have given the iPod community major warm fuzzies. Omitting it from 1.3 instead makes for bad blood. It’s a software feature. Try and fit it in, Apple.

Posted by Songdog on May 6, 2003 at 10:13 AM (CDT)

Hmmm ... so you mean that you actually have to make your playlist BEFORE you can listen to it ?
I mean i can’t add any more songs while the iPod is playing the current playlist on the go ?
That would be kinda silly, still i’d like to have it on my old iPod thank you ;)

>The downside to the “On The Go” playlist on the new iPods is that it is cleared every time you sync to your computer

The fact that the playlist-on-the-go would be cleared when i connect it to the computer, i don’t really care.
I mean, what’s the use of the playlist staying on there if you’re behind the pc ... you’re not on to go so you could easily put a new one together while you’re at it ...

As i’m thinking about it, the actual behaviour (or as close as possible) would be a playlist/queue that automatically deleted the entry last played :)
But maybe that’s even a bit too much asked ... and   maybe not really that good since i’ve seen moments where i have to take off my headphones to listen to somebody asking me something, wanting to hear a certain song that might have passed by already, just to notice that it had been removed ...

Still ... gimme gimme gimme ... a new ‘old’ iPod update after midnight , preferably before even !!

Posted by Oenie in Belgium on May 6, 2003 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

does anyone have 2 ipods…??

I was just curious to see what happens if you mount them both, wipe the rev 1 or 2 and duplicate the rev 3 drive onto it…

I guess the new features are locked out by the serial numbers but its worth a shot!

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 6, 2003 at 10:25 PM (CDT)

Oliver,

I believe i read somewhere on the site (or maybe ipoding.com) that they had tried, but didn’t prevail at upgrading a 1st or 2nd gen iPod with the new firmware ... so until they release firmware upgrades with some of the options for the older iPods, i’m sure it’s not gonna happen for people like us :)

Posted by Oenie in Belgium on May 7, 2003 at 3:04 AM (CDT)

Archos Rockbox has play queues - they can’t be *that* difficult to implement. In fact, some people have pyut a lot of thought into the functionality of playlists and queues for portable players:

Posted by meehawl in San Francisco, CA on May 7, 2003 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

I’ve had an iPod since the day the first ones came out (the 5GB). It recently got stolen, and i was addicted to iPods. Apple is very money hungry (releasing a new operating system every year- puma, jaguar, and now panther). But you must understand that if they make a new product, they want it to be sold. Those that have the old iPod cannot have the same features as thenew one, or nobody would buy the new one. I agree that Apple should still support the older products, but they have to make money.

Posted by Dave Luebbert in Ontario, Canada on May 7, 2003 at 9:10 PM (CDT)

Of course we can’t have the benefits of the new hardware. What we want are the benefits of the updated software. Apple was able to bring AAC support to the earlier iPods. Surely it’s a simpler matter to deliver the playqueue feature.

Posted by Songdog on May 8, 2003 at 8:05 AM (CDT)

having been a pc user my whole life. i’m beginning to see a very familiar trend here from apple.  and i think everyone here knows where i’m going with this. but i’ve always been the pc guy that is in love with the apple machines and platform but because of my investments in pc software and the like it doesn’t make sense to move to a mac and incur all that cost again. so i stay on the pc.  but back in september i broke down and bought the 10GB iPod.  and i flat out LOVE it.  but if apple is going to start treating their loyal addicts like microsoft treats us.  i’d just assume keep getting in the ass from someone i’m already used to gettting it from, microsoft. i’m not disappointed or pissed at them for they way they run their business, i’m used to it.  i thougt apple was different, and thought different.  guess not.  if they aren’t going to do such basic things as update the firmware for the *ahem* old *ahem* ipods. then i sure as hell aren’t going to buy a new one no matter how hot the fire gets in my wallet to really want the 30GB (mmmmm) ipod. —- anyway that’s my two cents.

Posted by Jason in Columbus, Ohio on May 8, 2003 at 8:34 AM (CDT)

Apple and Microsoft should be like every other company out there.  If they come out with an updated product make it just a little bit better than the old one so that the consumer has the urge to upgrade.  BUT they should also support the old products as well.  Supporting the old product should be in full and it shouldn’t make it better or equal to the new product because if it does….WHY WOULD THEIR BE A NEW PRODUCT!

Posted by MLWings on May 8, 2003 at 10:13 AM (CDT)

“please Apple, please”

Posted by Sean Smith in Los Angeles on May 10, 2003 at 10:02 AM (CDT)

BTW, everyone needs to go to the above link and post a request for this to elevate the issue to apple…

Posted by Sean Smith in Los Angeles on May 10, 2003 at 10:19 AM (CDT)

Can anyone please describe how the ‘on-the-go’ playlist feature on the new ipods works?

Is it possible to continuously add music to the current playlist while listening to that same playlist in the mean time?

Is it easy to re-order the songs within that playlist?

Posted by phester in TX on May 12, 2003 at 2:40 PM (CDT)

As the owner of a $500.00 20 gb ipod i would also like the all the 2.0 features of the new model. Its only fair!!
Also how about having the qued up song play instantly (no delay time). A feature required for mixing dj’s. As soon as you hit play the song starts in less than 3 ms. If a song is qued up, pressing the forward button will play the song untill it is released, then it goes back to the exact point in the song that was entered as the que point. Just like the professional DJ cd players!

Posted by Ivan Chaparro in Chicago on May 12, 2003 at 11:27 PM (CDT)

I don’t really see the play queue as a nice thing.  When companies try to implement LOTS of features like that, they go nuts and make the whole thing woefully complicated.  Take windows.  Microsoft tries to make it professional, but they just confuse you with counter-intuitive controls and design.  I don’t want to see any more buttons on the iPod, so I’d rather that Apple keep it simple.

So I’m ok with an on the go playlist creator, only so long as it is simple and easy to do.

Posted by I'm Not giving my name to this website... in I'm Not giving my location to this website... on May 13, 2003 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

Actually to implement a play queue would not have to have a negative impact on the interface at all. You would simply add an option to turn play queue on or off (in the settings or in the main menu). If it’s on, then selecting a new song queues that song. If it’s off, then selecting a new song switches to that song. The contents of a queue would also be accessible via a playlist.

Posted by cpatch in San Diego, CA on May 13, 2003 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

That would be fine with me. In theory the queue could be editable on the fly, but all I really care about is the ability to enqueue more than one song at a time.

Posted by Songdog on May 14, 2003 at 7:14 AM (CDT)

damn, guys. . .seriously, give apple a month to update the firmware for the old ipods.  i mean they gave you AAC support. . . .just be patient

Posted by jzero in AZ on May 14, 2003 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

they “gave” AAC support because it was in their best interests with the music store.

I dont think they will update the firmware, just like I dont think I’ll buy a mac product again.

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 14, 2003 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

LATEST SUPPORT FEEDBACK:

“version 2.0 is incompatable with my old ipod, just as your software (marketing) is incompatable with my hardware (brain)

please update the “old” ipods to version 2.0

I cant even begin to describe the deformations in my anus that this has caused.

I hope you choke.”

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 14, 2003 at 5:28 PM (CDT)

alright, that sucks you feel that way

Posted by jzero in AZ on May 14, 2003 at 7:35 PM (CDT)

They haven’t given me AAC support yet, jzero. I have a Windows iPod.

Posted by Songdog on May 14, 2003 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

Got the new 30G 2.0 model and was thrilled to have a queueing feature—but I think I’ve hit a problem…is mine defective?  It works like this:  I set up a short “on-the-go” playlist of three songs.  Then I start playing the first song.  Then I go back to adding songs to the list.  I hold down the button, the title blinks, the song is added to the queue and everything seems to be working fine BUT:  The ipod stops playing after those first three songs.  Any songs on the list that were added after I’ve pressed PLAY aren’t recognized.  So I scroll up to the top of the queue again and press PLAY and this time it’ll play all the songs in the list.  If I add any more though…same thing. They’re on the list but the ipod doesn’t see them. Anyone else?

Posted by Dave in SF, CA on May 15, 2003 at 10:21 AM (CDT)

Sounds like a bug in the software, not a hardware defect. Can anyone confirm?

Posted by Songdog on May 15, 2003 at 11:07 AM (CDT)

Dave - mine, and everyone elses, is the same way.  Its what everyone is complaining about.  You’d figure that the songs that were just added to the end of your list would play, but instead when it gets to the last song on your original list you made, it loops back to the first song on the orginal list.

APPLE, THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!

When I’m listening to my songs and have inspiration to add another song to the list, I want it to play when it’s turn comes about. Please, please fix!

C.C.R, I’m totally with you on this one.

Posted by Brad on May 16, 2003 at 10:10 PM (CDT)

If my pod had pitch control like turntables , It would
fundamentaly change the art of DJ’ing.
Any ideas?

Posted by DJ Mark Kamins in NYC on May 17, 2003 at 9:15 AM (CDT)

yeah it might, but would people ever listen?

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 17, 2003 at 1:13 PM (CDT)

I overheard a conversation at the Live On Stage event for the debut of iPods…
One customer was discussing the concept of pitch control on iPods with the iPod DJ…

Would it be possible to modulate the pitch with an external signal processor plugged into the iPod’s headphone port? iPod > Pitch Controller > Mixer

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on May 17, 2003 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

playlist, if my ipod had a playlist and an ebook feature it would be gods gift to humanity.

Posted by duc in uk on May 18, 2003 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

So….Apple are you listening? It seems that “on-the-go” only refers to the iPod itself, not the actual playlist(!) How can these multimillion dollar decisions get made without first asking any twelve year old?

Posted by Dave on May 19, 2003 at 2:32 PM (CDT)

The New IPod On-The-Go, is perfect..  seems to work just fine for me, only got it yesterday, but i’ve had 15 songs playeded from on the go just fine.

Posted by DouG0 in wherever on May 22, 2003 at 4:44 AM (CDT)

EVERYONE SHOULD LEAVE FEEDBACK AS ADVISED BY SEAN SMITH.

GO TO: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html
AND LEAVE YOUR FEEDBACK!!! : )

——————————————————————————-
This is the feedback I left!

MAKE A PLAY QUE FOR THE OLD iPODS!!!! Many of us spent SO much $ on our older models and cannot afford to upgrade right this second to get the “Playlist on the go” fetaure. The owners of the classic iPods are the ones that have kept the iPod in front of the competition and I suggest if Apple wants to keep it this way they should support their loyal customers with a Play Que software upgrade!

There aee thousands like me who wish this a reality! Please make it one~

Ben

PS

And when we do upgrade, we will remember Apple’s lack of “play Que” support and think ” Why shouldn’t I just “switch” to a 60gb Nomad JB. They have play ques and lost of other stuff” Many are thinking this way and many will be in a position to upgrade in the next year. Wouldn’t it be better to give us what we want now so we don’t think about “switching” later”?

Posted by Ben in Chicago on May 24, 2003 at 9:22 AM (CDT)

there’s a whole lot of reasons why you shouldn’t switch to a bloody nomad.  first off. . .their bulky, 2nd off, their ugly, 3rd off do they have all the features that the ipod has? do they work right? i’ve never had ANY kind of problems with my ipod, none.  but i’ve heard a bunches of stuff about nomads.  before you spend your money on something else, think about it. . .apple or creative. . . .i’m with apple.  i sold my 20 gb ipod for $300 then bought the new 30gb.  never looking back.  i fall back in love with my ipod every day.  its amazing.  if you realy want a new one, you could get one, your just lazy

Posted by jzero in AZ on May 24, 2003 at 10:07 AM (CDT)

but if you want to sacrifice the beauty of the ipod for a nomad just to have a play que, rather then waiting a few months, which it hasn’t even been one month yet, then go ahead.  the ipod is smaller, its prettier, the new ipod has kick ass featuers. . .an alarm clock, games, contacts, notes. . . . .whats better then that?? i splurged and got a new one and. . ..it was more then worth it

Posted by jzero in AZ on May 24, 2003 at 10:10 AM (CDT)

“And when we do upgrade, we will remember Apple’s lack of “play Que” support and think ” Why shouldn’t I just “switch” to a 60gb Nomad JB”

ok, that was a quote from ben.  i understand what your saying. . . but when you “upgrade”  meaning you’ll have money for something new. . .why not GET a new ipod.. .since it does have on-the-go?  if your gonna upgrade, might as well get the best thing out there. . . . which is the ipod, hands down

Posted by jzero in AZ on May 24, 2003 at 10:17 AM (CDT)

First off let me get one thing straight:
I would never switch! : )

I was just saying that to make Apple think about the alternatives. I know they have but I wanted them to hear it from an individual user. I love my iPod too! (eventhough I just had to have it replaced due to total disc failure)

I think a lot of times Apple takes for granted that they have us all “sucked in” so to speak. I mean you speak so highly of them, as do I BUT it is important as consumers we remind them that they have competition and we are not afraid to try other options. (even if we won’t) It means a lot more to them coming directly from us than it does from an overall base of opinion!

Apple are you listening? Yes they are, BUT we really have to push the issues if we really want them to implement our ideas…

The iPod is good with or without a Play Que, with or without “Playlists On The Go” but that doesn’t mean it can’t get better. And lets face it, the competition has it and we don’t! Even if the others are clunky and aesthetically displeasing,  in some cases they do have more useful options and that is what irritates me the most!

Anyways, bottom line, I wouldn’t switch! I won’t switch and I just hope that Apple listens to us!

Ben

Posted by Ben on May 24, 2003 at 2:47 PM (CDT)

***READ THIS******
This discussion is now going on at the Apple site…

I posted it once but it was taken off, I posted it again and they left it. Most of the replies so far have been really negative towards my opinion..
One moderator even said that he bet the discussion wouldn’t even last. PROVE HIM WRONG

Check it out

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?[email protected]@.3bc32698/4

Posted by Ben on May 24, 2003 at 3:23 PM (CDT)

ben. . . .i respect you quite alot now ;-)

Posted by jzero in AZ on May 24, 2003 at 4:48 PM (CDT)

they took it down again.  What is wrong?!  Touchy subject I guess.

Posted by MLWings on May 25, 2003 at 6:46 PM (CDT)

I tried posting this topic for several days and they deleted it. This time someoen else has started it. THANK GOD. Maybe they will leave it this time!!! Anyways. it is important that everyone give their opinions about this topic! And do it soon!

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?[email protected]@.3bc31956/3

thanks

Posted by Ben in Chicago on May 26, 2003 at 8:39 AM (CDT)

How well-featured is the iPod V3 playqueue? What kind of addition options are there?

One thing I particularly like in Media Jukebox is the flexibility of the “Playing Now” playqueue. When you add a song to the queue, you can set a default action and have one-click access to the other options:

Replace
Add (to End)
Add (as Beginning)
Add (as next to play)
Add (play now)
Add (shuffle)
Add (replace)

What I’d really like after this would be probabilistic addition and grouping-aware addition to the queue…

Posted by meehawl on May 30, 2003 at 6:04 PM (CDT)

STOP Whining you bunch of babies. Your a bunch of fair weather people. Version 2.0 won’t work with the old iPods because of hardware reasons. Also the gen 1 & 2 iPods don’t have the proper chip that will let it queue up songs. If you don’t believe me buy the new iPod and you will see they have different parts inside one if these parts is key to this feature.

You all moan and cry about something you know nothing about. Get over it $300 isn’t very much money. Did you think your iPod was going to be cutting edge forever? If you don’t like the fact that your hardware becomes obsolete everyday then DON’T BUY IT.

YOUR THE IDIOT who bought it WITHOUT a queue FEATURE in the first place. It’s nobody’s fault but your own.

Posted by C Kizer on May 31, 2003 at 11:14 PM (CDT)

Wahhhhhhh

Posted by Spud on June 2, 2003 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

i bought a 12” iBook b/c it was smaller than the 15” ti-book at the time. it came loaded with OS 10.1. a couple months later they came out with the 12” powerbook (which i would much rather have b/c of the speed and would have bought had it been out when i bought my iBook) about the same time (ok a bit earlier) they came out with OS 10.2. i may not be able to upgrade my hardware to the nice size/power of the 12” powerbook but i can certainly upgrade to 10.2 and have the equal software features. so i reiterate the question posted in this forum, why cant i do the same thing with my iPod and upgrade the software (firmware, sameish thing)? iBook and powerbook have different hardware but can both run 10.2. my ‘old’ iPod should be able to run the same software as the 3rd gen iPods. i bought my iBook with 10.1 but never planned on using that for the life of my iBook. why should i keep the same firmware features in my iPod for the life of my iPod?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Posted by jPod on June 3, 2003 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

LET’S HAVE ON-THE-GO PLAYLISTS FOR THE OLDER IPODS!
COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Posted by jibran on June 15, 2003 at 6:12 AM (CDT)

Yeh, come on Apply, don’t let us down !!!
Listen to your hart, not to all the money your making !!!
Let us see that you’re not like the other companies
Greatings from Belgium !!!

Posted by I-love-techno on June 16, 2003 at 12:30 PM (CDT)

ay mama miah….lets have a playlist

Posted by italian stallion on June 18, 2003 at 9:55 AM (CDT)

fixed.  download it and BAM! playlist-on-the-go.

Everyone happy, right?

Posted by Fiftyeggs on June 19, 2003 at 5:09 PM (CDT)

sorry pal, but that update is only for the new ipods.  Most of us with the old have to go with 1.3, or if you have windows, 1.2.6

Posted by wezley on June 19, 2003 at 7:57 PM (CDT)

C Kizer -
Your ability to identify the functionality of the hardware inside the different iPods by merely looking at it is staggering. You are certainly the “Rainman” of the electronics world.

“YOUR THE IDIOT” - no my friend, you’re the idiot.

Posted by Andrew on June 20, 2003 at 7:24 AM (CDT)

maybe we could sign this petition
to get an update for the older iPods.

Posted by Christian on June 21, 2003 at 3:13 AM (CDT)

Hi

PLEASE can you implement on-the-go playlists. This is a very basic feature and like on the current ipods, should have been a standard feature. I implore you to re-think your current position.

Posted by sushi on June 22, 2003 at 7:53 AM (CDT)

Oh man! after reading all about the iPod, you guys tell me that there’s NO play queue on the iPod!?! What the hell! I can’t even arrange my music on the move? Then what’s the iPod for? Is apple gonna make us buy an iBook/Powerbook just to create a new playlist everytime we wanna add music to the playlist? Get us the Play queue now! “On the Go” function is only a cover-up man! It’s not the play queue function…I GET IT! the play queue is reserved for the 4th gen iPod right,APPLE?

Posted by j.m. on June 22, 2003 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

i’m totally happy with my ipod.  and i use every available feature.  right now i can’t think of anything else i want. . .i have a 30gb 3G ipod and its great.  you guys need to stop bitching.  if you want something better, make it your selves. . .damn

Posted by jzero on June 22, 2003 at 2:06 PM (CDT)

Jzero.

I don’t think it’s ‘bitching’  If you’ve spent $500 on a mp3 player that holds 20gb worth of music, you don’t just want the play-que.  You NEED it.  Many people were too tranced by the cosmetics of the ipod to review it properly.  Many websites gave the ipod perfect ratings, but somehow missed the lack of the play-que feature.  I remember when I got the Nomad Jukebox with 6gb of storage, IT had a play-que feature, and that was almost 3 years ago.  I think it’s our right as consumers to have our opinions heard.

And enough with the insults.  This purpose of this forum is to share our opinions.  Not insults.  If you disagree with what someone has said, then challenge him/her with your OPINION.  If you was to insult people, then please do it someplace else.

Posted by Fiftyeggs on June 22, 2003 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

Well sead Fiftyeggs !!!

And for apple -> Don’t be a bitch too!
Please give us that play-queue function!

ps: don’t forget this petition

Posted by i-love-techno on June 22, 2003 at 3:26 PM (CDT)

come on apple, give us those playlist features! im sure it didn’t even cross most people mnds to check for such a simple thing as it is such a & basic standard feature!

ive also signed the petition

Posted by alan on June 22, 2003 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

AGREES with Alan! i thought the iPod had that function. Until I read this forum, did I learned that it doesn’t.

Posted by j.m. on June 26, 2003 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

Posted by j.m. on June 26, 2003 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

Posted by j.m. on June 26, 2003 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

just to let you all know.. .with the recent firmware update. . .2.0.1 or whatever.. . .the on-the-go playlist works correctly now. . .you can add one song to it, start playing it, add other songs and they’ll play too w/o having to restart the playlist.  so for all the people with the 3g ipod like me. . .be happy.  also, to all the people with the old ones. . .suck it.  .sell your old one, get a new one.. .

Posted by jzero on June 30, 2003 at 11:29 AM (CDT)

jzero, hey the 2.0.1 rectified the on the go playlist prob already?
is it?
alright…thn i shall go get the 3rd gen ipod then! 10 or 15? do i really need the remote?

Posted by j.m. on July 2, 2003 at 4:20 AM (CDT)

yea it fixed it. . .  i can’t really tell you what size to get, i have the 30 and i have less then 7 gigs left. . .

Posted by jzero on July 2, 2003 at 7:36 AM (CDT)

Just started to play around with OTG. Seems to work fine (2.0.1, 15G). Start it off with a song, keep adding others (songs or albums) in and the playlist keeps going and going and going…

Posted by Chris on September 12, 2003 at 12:26 AM (CDT)

On the go playlist…simple answer, easy to explain…done deal :)

Posted by Rachel on December 5, 2003 at 6:32 PM (CST)

I’ve just received my first iPod, and I’ve found a way to bypass the niggly thing with the on the go playlist option:

1. Go to - Browse - Song - and play your first selection.

2. Then add the remaining songs as normal (the second and subsequent songs should play one after another).

I suppose the only problem with this method is that if you choose to replay your playlist, then the first song will not replay.

Let me know if this has solved any queries regarding the On the Go playlist option.

Cheers!

Posted by John C on December 18, 2003 at 6:33 PM (CST)

Damn… I don’t normally post on stuff like this, but I had to get my opinion out this time:  jzero has it figured out.

All of you complaining about a lack of “Play Queue” on the iPod have no right to call yourself “Apple loyalists.”

Apple has created a fantastic product: they’ve made it as easy to use as possible for those that don’t quite understand technology; they’ve updated their firmware as often as possible keeping in mind YOUR suggestions; AND, they sit still while you keep complaining and ripping on them, even though they can’t do anything to fix your problem.

jPod: your example is flawed.  Does my 12” iBook keyboard light up when the room darkens?  I don’t think so.  Am I able to burn DVDs, or communicate with my cell phone via Bluetooth (without the dLink USB transmitter)?  Think again.  I really badly want a new PowerBook, but I bought my computer when that technology was NOT readily available.  Now it is.  Hm… I might as well go and COMPLAIN about it.

Why don’t you all sell your iPod on one of the many wonderful online auction sites out there (try [url=http://www.ebay.com]http://www.ebay.com)?[/url]  I’m sure that someone out there is willing to buy an iPod without a play queue for at least half the price of a new one.  Put that money towards buying another, and less than a week later, you have your paramount play queue. (And hey, now your On-The-Go playlist saves straight to iTunes on Mac and Windows!)

And please don’t complain to me about the price: as a fifteen-year-old who worked all summer and all winter break to buy a 30GB iPod, I don’t want to hear it.  Plus, Apple is rumored to be coming out with brand new cheaper, smaller iPods in just a couple of days… hell, you just might have money left over if you take the eBay route.

Good luck… next time, show some more respect to Apple, please.

Posted by Trevor on January 4, 2004 at 11:10 PM (CST)

Trevor…good post but your examples are a little off.  While they may be true they don’t really apply here.  Since the new iPods have the on the go playlists, Apple obviously has the software code to do it.  All they have to do is take a very small amount of time and do an easy firmware update.  They aren’t doing it because they want people to sell and buy new.  Your examples don’t fit because they are all hardware issues.  This is a software issue and is easily fixed.

Posted by MLWings on January 5, 2004 at 9:08 AM (CST)

Trevor, I think you’re confusing the word “loyalist” with “lemming”. Apple exists to serve us, not the other way around.

Posted by Craig on January 5, 2004 at 3:10 PM (CST)

Thank you, MLWings.  I believe that I understand your side of the issue more clearly now.

It seemed to me that some people thought their iPod was a terrible piece of machinery, just because it didn’t have a play queue.  Although it was a huge mistake of Apple not to implement this feature, i intended to point out that they put a lot of work into an otherwise awesome MP3 player/calendar/addressbook/gameboy/notepad/etc.  Sorry if I got carried away (which I most certainly did.)

I still would be interested in finding out if Apple really can implement On-The-Go playlists in the older iPods.  I don’t know if it is very fair of us to be complaining if there is in fact a piece of hardware that limits the capability (it doesn’t make sense to me, either, but…)  I would think that Apple would think twice about abandoning their older iPod userbase, as it is currently their flagship product.  If the hardware doesn’t pose a problem, then I say that Apple Quality Assurance most certainly has one.

Craig, I do agree that Apple seems to be forgetting about those of us that own their older products.  Personally, I think that the $129 upgrade price for EVERY new version of Mac OS X is disappointing.  But that is besides the point.  And thank you for the lemming reference: it reminded me of the failed “1985” commercial, and the revision to the “1984” commercial today was particularly coincidental.

It was simply my intent to point out that it seems some posters are getting too worked up about the lack of play queue feature.  I know it is a nice feature, but the iPod so worthless without it?

Posted by Trevor on January 6, 2004 at 11:09 PM (CST)

The on the go play list is great.  Thanks to whoever suggested it.  I’m sorry about there not being an update for the old i-pods, but I’m sure apple has it’s reasons.  I don’t know what they are, but…Well…: ( Anyway,  I read one post that described the OTG playlist all wrong.  The way the OTG playlist works is you scroll through your tracks, and pick the songs you want when you find the one you want, you press and hold the select button.  That song is then placed in the OTG playlist.  YES, you can add songs while another song is playing.  The only problem I have is you can’t take it out of the playlist.  You have to erase the whole playlist.  You can’t do it one song at a time.  So, if you pick the wrong song.  You’re hosed unless you decide you want to that song now, or unless you are willing to erase all the other songs, and start over.  The OTG also goes away if your battery goes dead.  Other then that, I haven’t noticed any other problems.  After reading these posts I’ve decided to do some experimenting.  I didn’t know that the old I-pods didn’t have the OTG feature.  Well, I’ll post here if I find anything else.  If anyone has any questions, or requests, let me.

Posted by Kevdawg on February 9, 2004 at 5:45 AM (CST)

Have you ever tried using the on the go play list as a que, just select “on the go” from your play list, and as a song is playing, find the song you want next in line, hold the center button down till the track name flashes, and there you go instant que ability. Once the current song finishes it will move on to the next track in line.

Posted by Paraquanta on February 24, 2004 at 5:17 PM (CST)

you can use the OTG playlist as a queue. Just queue up one song on the OTG playlist, and start playing it from the OTG playlist. Next add songs to your listening pleasure and they will continue to play on.

Posted by Payton on June 1, 2004 at 8:07 PM (CDT)

Now the playlists have been even more enchanced in the 3rd generation (firmvare v3), and all of us 2nd generation-owners can join the whining to get those abilities on our ipods. We have sadly not seen any upgrades to get those new features (witch is the only thing i initially said my ipod lacked) :(

Posted by morten on August 9, 2004 at 3:42 PM (CDT)

“and all of us 2nd generation-owners can join the whining to get those abilities on our ipods”

Don’t wait for Apple - it’ll never happen. Apple doesn’t care about you at all unless you look like you’re ready to part with several hundred bux.

You want to improve your old iPod, go to this website, help out, volunteer some help or suggestions…

Posted by on yer bike mate on August 9, 2004 at 9:11 PM (CDT)

I wish the On the Go playlist allowed you to add a song your listening to into it without actually having to find it.  I often put an entire Genre on shuffle and hear a song i’d like to put in the OTG playlist but would have a hard time finding a single song within the Genre’s list of over 400 especially while driving.

Posted by kc on October 7, 2004 at 9:44 PM (CDT)

Posted by kc on October 7, 2004 at 9:44 PM (CDT)

omg i just read this article and the solution seems so easy to me. USE THE IPODS ON THE GO PLAYLIST. ITS NOT THAT HARD

Posted by Andrew on October 20, 2004 at 5:14 PM (CDT)

Posted by Andrew on October 20, 2004 at 5:15 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >