2011 CES: Yantouch’s 3D Dock for iPhone, Jelly lamps wow crowds
Some of the most impressive things at CES come from small, young companies, and Yantouch is quite possibly the iLounge Pavilion’s best-kept secret—until now. In addition to showing what it’s calling the 3D Dock for iPhone ($80), a charging station and Black Diamond application that turns your iPhone into an ever-shifting colored lamp that turns specific colors to identify your phone callers, the Taiwanese company’s Jelly Series of lamps absolutely blew us away.
We liked the company’s $100 JellyFish Black, a table lamp that has a small touch panel on the front that enables you to control its color either on a speed- and brightness-controlled loop of 16 million tones, or set to be one color. It’s easy to imagine putting this next to a bed for mood lighting—intense mood lighting.
But we loved JellyWash+ ($150), a considerably more sophisticated second-generation version with gesture controls.
Hold your hand over one of its proximity sensors to switch between one-color and 16-million-color mode. Others change speed, saturation, and brightness. The color effect is intense and beautiful, with effects that emulate the glow of the sun—complete with a wake-up feature that increases the sound of birds chirping to naturally open your eyes and ears. Dripping water and cricket effects help you meditate or go to sleep. And another gesture activates an alarm, complete with a glowing, temporary analog-style clock face.
The 3D Dock is neat. JellyFish Black is cool. But JellyWash+ is just awesome. The more you learn how to control it and use its features, the better it gets. Yantouch deserves global success for a product this cool, and we cannot wait to see how it pulls off the planned iOS-ready versions. Yantouch’s booth (3738) can be found in the iLounge Pavilion at CES through Sunday, January 9, 2011.
Updated: Here’s a video of JellyWash+ in action. It doesn’t do justice to the real unit, with its chrome-finished back and beautiful LED ring of lighting, but it’s a start.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Study finds half of kids headphones exceed safe volume limits
- More iPhone 6s devices affected by shutdown bug; iOS update coming
- Apple releases sixth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Developers pushing back against abusers of Apple’s App Store refund policy
- Apple lobbies for shared data, more public road access to test autonomous driving systems
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10