2011 CES: Yantouch’s 3D Dock for iPhone, Jelly lamps wow crowds
Some of the most impressive things at CES come from small, young companies, and Yantouch is quite possibly the iLounge Pavilion’s best-kept secret—until now. In addition to showing what it’s calling the 3D Dock for iPhone ($80), a charging station and Black Diamond application that turns your iPhone into an ever-shifting colored lamp that turns specific colors to identify your phone callers, the Taiwanese company’s Jelly Series of lamps absolutely blew us away.
We liked the company’s $100 JellyFish Black, a table lamp that has a small touch panel on the front that enables you to control its color either on a speed- and brightness-controlled loop of 16 million tones, or set to be one color. It’s easy to imagine putting this next to a bed for mood lighting—intense mood lighting.
But we loved JellyWash+ ($150), a considerably more sophisticated second-generation version with gesture controls.
Hold your hand over one of its proximity sensors to switch between one-color and 16-million-color mode. Others change speed, saturation, and brightness. The color effect is intense and beautiful, with effects that emulate the glow of the sun—complete with a wake-up feature that increases the sound of birds chirping to naturally open your eyes and ears. Dripping water and cricket effects help you meditate or go to sleep. And another gesture activates an alarm, complete with a glowing, temporary analog-style clock face.
The 3D Dock is neat. JellyFish Black is cool. But JellyWash+ is just awesome. The more you learn how to control it and use its features, the better it gets. Yantouch deserves global success for a product this cool, and we cannot wait to see how it pulls off the planned iOS-ready versions. Yantouch’s booth (3738) can be found in the iLounge Pavilion at CES through Sunday, January 9, 2011.
Updated: Here’s a video of JellyWash+ in action. It doesn’t do justice to the real unit, with its chrome-finished back and beautiful LED ring of lighting, but it’s a start.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- AT&T locks Apple SIM cards upon activation in iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- iPad Air 2 includes NFC chip, but likely won’t be used (Updated)
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0