A Developer’s Update On The White iPhone 4’s Thickness
For those who are still curious about the white iPhone 4 thickness issue, here’s a quick update from a leading case developer—one that has done an outstanding job in the past of tracking even minute mid-production differences between iPod and iPhone models.
Are the latest white and black iPhones all thicker than ones that were originally shipped, or are just the white ones thicker?
“Just white,” says the developer. “It’s thicker on the plastic portion that sits between the glass and the metal antenna. Most images aren’t measuring this.”
Is it perhaps only an issue of manufacturing tolerances? No, says the developer.
“There are always variances in devices and Apple is typically one of the most consistent, in large part because of materials, simple design and precise processes.”
This difference, we’re told, is easy enough to accommodate—at least, in cases being manufactured now. But something else is a potential challenge.
“Proximity sensor is the real issue here,” the company noted. Cases or screen protectors that aren’t cut properly may have issues triggering the sensor accidentally.
As noted in our white iPhone 4 supplementary review, we had no problem getting prior-generation rubber cases to fit properly on the white iPhone 4. The thickness difference was apparent but very small, and certainly not a big deal for most users or cases. Only the most tightly contoured hard plastic shells would have an issue with the new model. Still, between this little change and the ones in the side switch and volume buttons of the Verizon iPhone 4, iPhone case manufacturers have had a pretty tough time making post-release adjustments this year. Some will obviously accommodate the differences more impressively (and openly) than others.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Report: Apple behind San Francisco ‘mystery event’ in early September
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Apple loses German patent lawsuit over slide-to-unlock feature
- Best Buy expanding Apple Watch sales to all its stores in September
- Philips introduces dimmer remote kit for Hue lights
- Report: Apple ending One to One tutoring program
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- Wirelessky iStand 6 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?