A Few Thoughts On The New Apple TV 3.0 Interface
We’ve known for a couple of weeks that it was coming, and had some ideas of what to expect, but to see the Apple TV 3.0 interface actually running is actually somewhat of a relief. Of the several iLounge editors with Apple TVs, only one of us has been using it actively, while the others have basically left ours to collect dust, occasionally struggling with various aggravating bugs and eventually finding the version 2.0 menu scheme to be more of a pain than it was worth. Installing 3.0 has made us feel like there’s a potential to actually start using these things again. The new menu system uses the best element of Sony’s PlayStation 3 Xross Media Bar—the horizontal list of media options—while replacing the often needless icons with nice album art to show off the varied content on the device or streaming computer, and it’s so snappy that the button-tapping problems with version 2.0 (down, down, right, down down down) seem almost like a distant memory.
There are clearly still some issues. The Internet Radio feature that’s just been added looks nice, but several of the stations we went to test wouldn’t play; similarly, a podcast with a list of various supported resolutions came up with a 1080p option that errored out. Using iTunes LP and iTunes Extras via a streaming connection appears to be problematic, and possibly not totally supported by the current iPhone/iPod touch Remote software—something we’re going to need to keep playing with. iTunes LP doesn’t appear to have been completely tied into the Apple TV interface properly, either, as there are some awkward switches between the song playback and iTunes LP on-screen displays that pull you out of the “virtual album” experience rather than drawing you in.
Jesse’s going to have a lot more to say on Apple TV 3.0 in his Instant Expert piece, which is already underway. For the time being, and little problems aside, it’s safe to say that this is a more or less mandatory update for all Apple TV users except those who have hacked the device for various other features.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- TwelveSouth releases BookBook for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0