A Few Thoughts On The New Apple TV 3.0 Interface
Published: Thursday, October 29, 2009
We’ve known for a couple of weeks that it was coming, and had some ideas of what to expect, but to see the Apple TV 3.0 interface actually running is actually somewhat of a relief. Of the several iLounge editors with Apple TVs, only one of us has been using it actively, while the others have basically left ours to collect dust, occasionally struggling with various aggravating bugs and eventually finding the version 2.0 menu scheme to be more of a pain than it was worth. Installing 3.0 has made us feel like there’s a potential to actually start using these things again. The new menu system uses the best element of Sony’s PlayStation 3 Xross Media Bar—the horizontal list of media options—while replacing the often needless icons with nice album art to show off the varied content on the device or streaming computer, and it’s so snappy that the button-tapping problems with version 2.0 (down, down, right, down down down) seem almost like a distant memory.
There are clearly still some issues. The Internet Radio feature that’s just been added looks nice, but several of the stations we went to test wouldn’t play; similarly, a podcast with a list of various supported resolutions came up with a 1080p option that errored out. Using iTunes LP and iTunes Extras via a streaming connection appears to be problematic, and possibly not totally supported by the current iPhone/iPod touch Remote software—something we’re going to need to keep playing with. iTunes LP doesn’t appear to have been completely tied into the Apple TV interface properly, either, as there are some awkward switches between the song playback and iTunes LP on-screen displays that pull you out of the “virtual album” experience rather than drawing you in.
Jesse’s going to have a lot more to say on Apple TV 3.0 in his Instant Expert piece, which is already underway. For the time being, and little problems aside, it’s safe to say that this is a more or less mandatory update for all Apple TV users except those who have hacked the device for various other features.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store