A Note On Third-Generation iPad Case Compatibility
Since we first saw the almost indiscernibly thicker third-generation iPad shell at the 2012 CES, there’s been one question on our minds: will iPad 2 cases fit? Although 0.6 millimeters doesn’t seem like—and truly isn’t—a big difference, the precise tolerances that many case makers work with have potential to cause issues. We’ve had a chance to test a number of different styles of cases, and here our are general findings.
Sleeves and Soft-Framed Folios
These cases are the most forgiving, and easily accept both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. Generally this imprecision isn’t a factor we’re quick to promote, but it is nice to have the wiggle room to use older models you may have lying around with your new device. There is one caveat: Apple seems to have repositioned the magnets used to automatically lock and unlock the new iPad. Even if the case in question supports this feature on the iPad 2, it may not work as well or at all on the third-generation tablet.
Hard Molded Shells
Because of their contoured shape, we were more skeptical about how well plastic, hard leather, and other molded shells would fit the new iPad. Surprisingly, many of them do fit well, although tightly. While all of the models we tried held the device, many felt strained and we weren’t totally comfortable with how much more effort it took to snap it in place in some of them. We feared scratch damage to the iPad’s aluminum back, or to the case itself. While it may be OK to use your old iPad 2 case, we wouldn’t recommend buying one if you can help it: wait until the company releases an updated version. The same magnetic lid issue is as true with these cases as those mentioned above. These cases also usually have tighter camera holes, which may present an issue with the larger lens on the new iPad.
From what we’ve seen, most cases will indeed work with either of the similarly shaped iPads, but it’s by no means a certainty. Simply put, not every iPad 2 case will fit or work properly with the third-generation iPad. Each case is different, so we recommend checking with the company if it doesn’t explicitly state compatibility. We’re already starting to see many manufacturers advertising that their cases fit both the iPad 2 and the new iPad, and expect that to be pretty common.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?