A Note On Third-Generation iPad Case Compatibility
Since we first saw the almost indiscernibly thicker third-generation iPad shell at the 2012 CES, there’s been one question on our minds: will iPad 2 cases fit? Although 0.6 millimeters doesn’t seem like—and truly isn’t—a big difference, the precise tolerances that many case makers work with have potential to cause issues. We’ve had a chance to test a number of different styles of cases, and here our are general findings.
Sleeves and Soft-Framed Folios
These cases are the most forgiving, and easily accept both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. Generally this imprecision isn’t a factor we’re quick to promote, but it is nice to have the wiggle room to use older models you may have lying around with your new device. There is one caveat: Apple seems to have repositioned the magnets used to automatically lock and unlock the new iPad. Even if the case in question supports this feature on the iPad 2, it may not work as well or at all on the third-generation tablet.
Hard Molded Shells
Because of their contoured shape, we were more skeptical about how well plastic, hard leather, and other molded shells would fit the new iPad. Surprisingly, many of them do fit well, although tightly. While all of the models we tried held the device, many felt strained and we weren’t totally comfortable with how much more effort it took to snap it in place in some of them. We feared scratch damage to the iPad’s aluminum back, or to the case itself. While it may be OK to use your old iPad 2 case, we wouldn’t recommend buying one if you can help it: wait until the company releases an updated version. The same magnetic lid issue is as true with these cases as those mentioned above. These cases also usually have tighter camera holes, which may present an issue with the larger lens on the new iPad.
From what we’ve seen, most cases will indeed work with either of the similarly shaped iPads, but it’s by no means a certainty. Simply put, not every iPad 2 case will fit or work properly with the third-generation iPad. Each case is different, so we recommend checking with the company if it doesn’t explicitly state compatibility. We’re already starting to see many manufacturers advertising that their cases fit both the iPad 2 and the new iPad, and expect that to be pretty common.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?