A Smarter Premium Leather MacBook Case? Vaja’s New iVolution Shell
Here’s what just arrived: the latest evolution of iVolution, Vaja’s series of high-end leather case designs for iPods, iPhones, and MacBooks. The $340 iVolution Shell for MacBook, also called the iVolution Snap Shell in its MacBook Air version, is a deluxe leather-wrapped hardshell.
The design is based on the prior iVolution Leather Suit series, but with a few significant changes. First, it now uses a few thin magnets rather than a wrap-around zipper to keep itself closed. According to Vaja, the magnets have been tested for safety with the MacBooks, so hard drive corruption shouldn’t be an issue. Second, the outer stripe found on the earlier cases has disappeared, and third, the inside of the case no longer features an X-styled, second-colored design element. Consequently, the outside is one color, the inside is a second color, and that’s it.
As always, users get to choose those colors. Sixteen colors are offered for the outside Floater leather, a grainy version previously featured in the company’s special edition iPhone cases, and 41 colors for the inner Caterina leather, which ranges from Vaja logo embossed on the mostly obscured bottom half to flat, padded, and/or dotted on the top half.
Though it adds quite a bit of thickness to the new MacBook, it also adds such tangible class that we could understand why users looking for a stylish, deluxe hardshell would consider ponying up the asking price. Assuming that Vaja’s correct about the safety of the magnets, the switch from a zipper is a positive for both usability and looks; it has yielded nicer-looking outside edges that let the inner color peek through, and made opening the case a lot easier than the prior Leather Suits. We’ll be updating this piece with additional details as we have a chance to use the new iVolution Shell over the next week or so. More pictures are available by clicking on Read More.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Pro
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?