A Smarter Premium Leather MacBook Case? Vaja’s New iVolution Shell
Here’s what just arrived: the latest evolution of iVolution, Vaja’s series of high-end leather case designs for iPods, iPhones, and MacBooks. The $340 iVolution Shell for MacBook, also called the iVolution Snap Shell in its MacBook Air version, is a deluxe leather-wrapped hardshell.
The design is based on the prior iVolution Leather Suit series, but with a few significant changes. First, it now uses a few thin magnets rather than a wrap-around zipper to keep itself closed. According to Vaja, the magnets have been tested for safety with the MacBooks, so hard drive corruption shouldn’t be an issue. Second, the outer stripe found on the earlier cases has disappeared, and third, the inside of the case no longer features an X-styled, second-colored design element. Consequently, the outside is one color, the inside is a second color, and that’s it.
As always, users get to choose those colors. Sixteen colors are offered for the outside Floater leather, a grainy version previously featured in the company’s special edition iPhone cases, and 41 colors for the inner Caterina leather, which ranges from Vaja logo embossed on the mostly obscured bottom half to flat, padded, and/or dotted on the top half.
Though it adds quite a bit of thickness to the new MacBook, it also adds such tangible class that we could understand why users looking for a stylish, deluxe hardshell would consider ponying up the asking price. Assuming that Vaja’s correct about the safety of the magnets, the switch from a zipper is a positive for both usability and looks; it has yielded nicer-looking outside edges that let the inner color peek through, and made opening the case a lot easier than the prior Leather Suits. We’ll be updating this piece with additional details as we have a chance to use the new iVolution Shell over the next week or so. More pictures are available by clicking on Read More.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10