A Smarter Premium Leather MacBook Case? Vaja’s New iVolution Shell
Published: Friday, February 13, 2009
Here’s what just arrived: the latest evolution of iVolution, Vaja’s series of high-end leather case designs for iPods, iPhones, and MacBooks. The $340 iVolution Shell for MacBook, also called the iVolution Snap Shell in its MacBook Air version, is a deluxe leather-wrapped hardshell.
The design is based on the prior iVolution Leather Suit series, but with a few significant changes. First, it now uses a few thin magnets rather than a wrap-around zipper to keep itself closed. According to Vaja, the magnets have been tested for safety with the MacBooks, so hard drive corruption shouldn’t be an issue. Second, the outer stripe found on the earlier cases has disappeared, and third, the inside of the case no longer features an X-styled, second-colored design element. Consequently, the outside is one color, the inside is a second color, and that’s it.
As always, users get to choose those colors. Sixteen colors are offered for the outside Floater leather, a grainy version previously featured in the company’s special edition iPhone cases, and 41 colors for the inner Caterina leather, which ranges from Vaja logo embossed on the mostly obscured bottom half to flat, padded, and/or dotted on the top half.
Though it adds quite a bit of thickness to the new MacBook, it also adds such tangible class that we could understand why users looking for a stylish, deluxe hardshell would consider ponying up the asking price. Assuming that Vaja’s correct about the safety of the magnets, the switch from a zipper is a positive for both usability and looks; it has yielded nicer-looking outside edges that let the inner color peek through, and made opening the case a lot easier than the prior Leather Suits. We’ll be updating this piece with additional details as we have a chance to use the new iVolution Shell over the next week or so. More pictures are available by clicking on Read More.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Hitman GO
- Alleged next-gen iPad Air front panel leaked
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac