A Smarter Premium Leather MacBook Case? Vaja’s New iVolution Shell
Here’s what just arrived: the latest evolution of iVolution, Vaja’s series of high-end leather case designs for iPods, iPhones, and MacBooks. The $340 iVolution Shell for MacBook, also called the iVolution Snap Shell in its MacBook Air version, is a deluxe leather-wrapped hardshell.
The design is based on the prior iVolution Leather Suit series, but with a few significant changes. First, it now uses a few thin magnets rather than a wrap-around zipper to keep itself closed. According to Vaja, the magnets have been tested for safety with the MacBooks, so hard drive corruption shouldn’t be an issue. Second, the outer stripe found on the earlier cases has disappeared, and third, the inside of the case no longer features an X-styled, second-colored design element. Consequently, the outside is one color, the inside is a second color, and that’s it.
As always, users get to choose those colors. Sixteen colors are offered for the outside Floater leather, a grainy version previously featured in the company’s special edition iPhone cases, and 41 colors for the inner Caterina leather, which ranges from Vaja logo embossed on the mostly obscured bottom half to flat, padded, and/or dotted on the top half.
Though it adds quite a bit of thickness to the new MacBook, it also adds such tangible class that we could understand why users looking for a stylish, deluxe hardshell would consider ponying up the asking price. Assuming that Vaja’s correct about the safety of the magnets, the switch from a zipper is a positive for both usability and looks; it has yielded nicer-looking outside edges that let the inner color peek through, and made opening the case a lot easier than the prior Leather Suits. We’ll be updating this piece with additional details as we have a chance to use the new iVolution Shell over the next week or so. More pictures are available by clicking on Read More.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014