A Tangent on 1921 Tequila Cream | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

A Tangent on 1921 Tequila Cream

There are only two alcoholic beverages that I would go out of my way to find. One—a beer called La Bécasse Gueuze—is basically impossible to purchase in the United States. The other was given to me as a Father’s Day gift last weekend: 1921 Tequila Cream, also known as 1921 Crema de Tequila. I’m sharing it on Backstage mostly because I wanted to spread the word about something that I consider to be pretty special and hard to locate, and also because I was inspired by John Gruber’s Tequila link today.

I’m not going to claim to be a tequila connoisseur; actually, I probably had more of it on my honeymoon last year than at every prior time in my life put together. But when my wife and I came across a shop that was selling 1921 Tequila Cream, which shouldn’t be confused with the other three types of pure tequila sold by the small Mexican company Corporacion Licorera 1910 S.A. de C.V., we were enthralled. Introduced in the United States only a few years ago, 1921 Tequila Cream is to tequila what Baileys Irish Cream is to whiskey, a softer, universally palatable version that could as easily be found in a dessert as in an after-dinner drink.

Yet, just like comparing standard tequilas to standard whiskeys, the 1921 has fire and spice that beg to be enjoyed quickly, rather than stored away; hints of caramel, coffee, and cocoa are also evident in the light brown, sweet and creamy drink. Bottles we bought in Mexico, and later in California, always seemed to disappear within a day or two of the cork coming out.

Finding 1921 in Western New York is basically impossible, which is why my wife had her family bring a bottle cross-country from Southern California as a gift. You might be able to find it where you live—the company has a non-comprehensive store locator, as well as a variety of Internet merchants selling it for around $24 a bottle—and if so, it is most definitely worth trying. Let me know what you think if you can rustle some up. And better yet, if you can find La Bécasse Gueuze (aka Belle Vue Gueuze) outside of Belgium or France, let me know; we might just have to arrange a trade.

« How the iPod + Macs Appear in Metal Gear Solid 4

Tim Russert, 1950-2008, R.I.P. »

Comments

I love tequila so I’ll have to check that out.

I also love gueuzes, but the only thing I can find reliably in Texas is Lindemann’s Cuvee Rene. The fruit-flavored lambics are much more popular, with multiple styles from multiple breweries easy to find. Luckily the CR seems to be a pretty good example of the style…

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on June 19, 2008 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

Heh, I’m on my way over - pour me a big one!
I brought a bottle of Patron Silver back with me from SF as I am partial to the occasional shot or four of Tequila. This certainly whet my appetite when you first showed me it.

Right, I’m catching the train to Belgium!

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 19, 2008 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

Well technically it is not a Tequila it is a liqueur and may be looking in the wrong section of the store. I do not know where you are located but is usually available at Bevmo in CA.

Posted by Van Schmelzer, Escondido CA on June 19, 2008 at 7:09 PM (CDT)

hey! Although I’m not a big drinker (my self-imposed limit is I don’t pay for alcohol, leaving wine&cheese; parties and other social events except for “going out to get drunk” okay), then I am business-minded, live in France, and am heading to the US in July.

How many bottles of La Bécasse Gueuze (or how much cash) for:
• iPod Shuffle 2nd gen
• iPod Nano 1st gen motherboard
• 2nd gen iPod motherboard
• 1st generation iPod motherboard

I’m guessing you have those lying around spare, so I won’t pay through the roof for them, but I collect broken iPods from friends, and I’m trying to make my collection complete!
Email me if you’re seriously interested in trading, but remember I can’t take beyond what Customs and Excise permit!

Peter (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address))

Posted by Peter Burkimsher on June 21, 2008 at 6:25 AM (CDT)

$24 a bottle?? Try around $39+... And what beautiful plates you seem to enjoy at your lovely dinner table!

Posted by kelly on June 21, 2008 at 9:48 AM (CDT)

How does this compare to the common and popular US beverage, Tequila Rose? Looks and sounds nearly identical!

Posted by Bumblenutz on June 25, 2008 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

I’m pretty sure you can get Becasse Gueuze at Belgo’s in London - chain of belgian mussel and beer places, quite good.
If not the exact one, they definitely have a couple of gueuzes.

Posted by Andrew Wood on August 23, 2008 at 9:00 AM (CDT)