A Tangent on 1921 Tequila Cream
There are only two alcoholic beverages that I would go out of my way to find. One—a beer called La Bécasse Gueuze—is basically impossible to purchase in the United States. The other was given to me as a Father’s Day gift last weekend: 1921 Tequila Cream, also known as 1921 Crema de Tequila. I’m sharing it on Backstage mostly because I wanted to spread the word about something that I consider to be pretty special and hard to locate, and also because I was inspired by John Gruber’s Tequila link today.
I’m not going to claim to be a tequila connoisseur; actually, I probably had more of it on my honeymoon last year than at every prior time in my life put together. But when my wife and I came across a shop that was selling 1921 Tequila Cream, which shouldn’t be confused with the other three types of pure tequila sold by the small Mexican company Corporacion Licorera 1910 S.A. de C.V., we were enthralled. Introduced in the United States only a few years ago, 1921 Tequila Cream is to tequila what Baileys Irish Cream is to whiskey, a softer, universally palatable version that could as easily be found in a dessert as in an after-dinner drink.
Yet, just like comparing standard tequilas to standard whiskeys, the 1921 has fire and spice that beg to be enjoyed quickly, rather than stored away; hints of caramel, coffee, and cocoa are also evident in the light brown, sweet and creamy drink. Bottles we bought in Mexico, and later in California, always seemed to disappear within a day or two of the cork coming out.
Finding 1921 in Western New York is basically impossible, which is why my wife had her family bring a bottle cross-country from Southern California as a gift. You might be able to find it where you live—the company has a non-comprehensive store locator, as well as a variety of Internet merchants selling it for around $24 a bottle—and if so, it is most definitely worth trying. Let me know what you think if you can rustle some up. And better yet, if you can find La Bécasse Gueuze (aka Belle Vue Gueuze) outside of Belgium or France, let me know; we might just have to arrange a trade.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives [Update: Spotify responds]
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app