Aluminum Mtable Offers MacBook Monitor Users An Alternative to Stands
Roughly two and a half years have passed since we first tested Power Support’s Docking Stand for MacBooks, a neat little padded aluminum accessory that holds a MacBook upright for use with a monitor. In the time that’s passed, we’ve looked at quite a few other MacBook holders, but none has struck us as a complete alternative to the Power Support design until now. And even so, what just arrived isn’t necessarily superior—especially given its price—but some people may really like it.
Just Mobile calls it Mtable, and at $80, it sells for twice the price of the Power Support Docking Stand—a premium that we’re not totally enthusiastic about. It is an Apple-quality piece of aluminum, forged into a metal monitor stand, with rubber pads on its bottom to avoid scratching the surface below. The idea is that you put your monitor on top of it, your MacBook below it, and turn the monitor’s footprint into a more effective use of space. Mtable is also pitched as an organizer for the Mac mini, though for that machine it does nothing more than place the monitor and Mac mini next to each other as they would be on any table, letting you conceivably store your keyboard or other items below it. Other items might make sense; rare is the table surface that’s already at the correct wrist-friendly height for a keyboard.
What we like about Mtable: port and SuperDrive access is easy with the holes cut in its sides, and Wi-Fi doesn’t appear to be affected by all the metal, thanks in part to a breathable pattern of dot-shaped holes in its back. A 13” system fits in without any issue; a 15” should do the same, but a 17” would be a non-starter. That said, the question of whether we’d really want to slide the MacBook into the front bottom every day is separate, and one that we’re in the process of testing right now; our typically cluttered desk wouldn’t necessarily make this as easy as we’d prefer. In any case, Mtable is a nice-looking option, and one that will work for sure for some users—we’ll update this article when we know which camp we’re in.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?