An Open Letter to AT&T: You Are Broken And Need To Be Fixed. Now. | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

An Open Letter to AT&T: You Are Broken And Need To Be Fixed. Now.

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Friday, May 7, 2010
Backstage Categories:

Apologies in advance for broadly grouping all AT&T employees into the same category below: I’m sure that at least a few of you are smart, genuinely interested in quickly solving customers’ problems, and capable of navigating the apparently daunting software AT&T has erected between you and the machines that collect the customers’ money. And extra credit to AT&T Twitter guy @ATTChrisF, who volunteered to follow up on the iPad data plan double-billing problem we mentioned a few days ago. It’s because of you, Chris, that I’m taking a brief break from more pressing things to write this today. I could have called back for my fifth or six call with AT&T on this issue, but I felt these words would do more good in this format.

Chris, AT&T PR guy @Sethbloom, and anyone else from AT&T who might be reading this, please share this open letter with your higher-ups. They need to see it, but more importantly, to actually read and understand it. I realize that everyone’s focusing these days on how incredibly dissatisfied AT&T customers are with dropped calls, slow data plans, and unfulfilled promises of better features. These are serious problems, but let’s put them aside for a couple of minutes. I’m about to tell you two other, more easily correctible reasons that AT&T iPhone customers are ready to go elsewhere as soon as they have another option.

The first is simple: AT&T has a distorted view of time. Your wireless business model is based largely upon the dollar value of minutes—charging people for spending more time on the phone—so you obviously understand that time can equal money. But somehow, you’ve mixed up the equation. Your company doesn’t reward customer service agents for quickly and completely resolving the issues they’re called about. Instead, they almost invariably try to stretch things out—they seem to actually want to spend lots of extra time getting simple things done. Worse yet, they put customers through several separate phone calls rather than just finishing the discussion on the first call. This week alone, I had calls with three AT&T employees to re-confirm that I actually, really wanted a billing overcharge to get reversed on my credit card rather than being issued as a check. And that was after my first call, where the question had already been answered.

Your customers see things differently. They don’t like wasting their minutes, or more generally, their time. They have lives. And they don’t like to spend four phone calls and 40 minutes of their lives resolving billing issues that could have been corrected in a 2-minute exchange. These lengthy calls and delays come across as either stupidity or deliberate attempts at creating busywork. And customers especially hate that they’re wasting time not because of anything they did wrong, but rather, because of problems with your computers, compounded by people who have no respect for their time.

That brings me to the second problem: your computerized activation and billing system is broken. It couldn’t handle two iPhone launches back when the iPhone was nowhere near as popular as it is now. But I’m not talking about just those almost-forgotten problems—I’m referring to the ones from this week. A properly functioning system doesn’t disconnect in the middle of activations, leaving accounts non-functional. It doesn’t error out or forget where it was in the middle of billing, resulting in two implausibly identical charges to a brand new account. And let’s not even get started on the P.O. Box thing. It’s almost astonishing to see your system making bad first impressions with new customers nearly three years after the iPhone launch.

Through your agents, I’ve heard you try to blame Apple for these sorts of problems, but I’ve bought more stuff from Apple over the past five years than any other company, and I’ve never had a billing problem of any sort with their retail stores, online store, or iTunes Store. Ever. Apple somehow understands that the process of handing over money should be fast, painless, and friendly, which is why people keep doing it over and over at its stores. Your competitors get this, too. When I used to be a T-Mobile customer, the only reason I ever had to call was over occasional dropped calls, which they fixed instantly. I loved T-Mobile. But I hate having to call AT&T. Over and over again.

AT&T, I realize that you think you can rebrand and market your way out of your problems, but you need to address the mess inside your walls before the outside world will turn in your favor. Right now, your customers know that they get the worst of all worlds: comparatively mediocre service, activation and billing problems, and then extended delays in resolving the problems. Most of your customers are working people with families, too little money, and too little free time. For years, you have operated a billing system that either negligently or deliberately takes too much money out of customers’ pockets, and a customer service system that makes it too difficult to get that wrongfully taken money back. At some point, systematic problems like these cease to be merely annoying and cross the line into illegal conduct. I firmly believe that you’ve crossed that line, but even if you don’t, fix what’s wrong anyway. Replace your activation and billing system. Train your agents to resolve billing and other issues completely in one quick call rather than four. It shouldn’t take action by a state Attorney General or the FCC to make your company do what’s right by your customers. Who knows—with better and fewer customer service experiences, you might just be able to keep some people from jumping ship.

« Free Early Access: iLounge’s iPad Buyers’ Guide + iPod/iPhone Book 5

Just Mobile Lifts MacBook Pros - Again - With The Oddly-Named Lazy Couch »

Comments

Best post ever.

You just confirmed my opinion that iLounge has its act together.

Thanks Jeremy for a great article. While I live in Finland currently (work for the State Department), I hate it when I have to come back to the US and am forced to US AT&T. My operator, Sonera, is all about the customer and encourages data usage and they go out of their way to support customer needs.

Again thanks for a great article.

Posted by Don Trammell on May 7, 2010 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

It’s been a number of years since I’ve been an AT&T wireless customer, but I can still sympathize.

I think the entire U.S. cellular market is broken—everything from how we get our hardware to customer service. I’d prefer the European model where you buy your phone and then choose a contract provider. I’m disappointed that some of the rumblings in Congress about limiting exclusivity among carriers hasn’t amounted to anything.

I’ve resigned myself to going back to AT&T for the next iPhone, even after I swore I’d never be a customer of theirs again. I can only hope my experience is better the next time around.

Posted by cxc273 on May 7, 2010 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

I’ve been an AT&T customer for a long time, subscribing at some point or another to essentially all the services they offer.

In general, I’ve found their service delivery to be acceptable and their customer service to be deplorable. It’s like riding in a car with no driver - you’re fine as long as the wheels are aligned and the road doesn’t curve.

Posted by Steve on May 7, 2010 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

One of the linked articles states, “AT&T spent $1.87 billion on measured media in 2009.” That’s a lot of money that could instead be spent on adding towers and overhauling customer service.

If I get an iPad, it will be a WiFi-only model. I will drop AT&T (and the iPhone with it) and move to Verizon, where I’ll get a talk’n'text “dumbphone” and a MiFi device.

Posted by Herr Doktor on May 7, 2010 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

Some more food for thought: Since the Skype App is fully functional over WiFi, it seems a no-brainer to (1) dump AT&T completely (2) get the WiFi-only iPad (3) get Verizon’s MiFi plus their data-only plan for $59.99/mo.

Ironically, this makes the iPad the actual, factual “iPhone Killer.”

Posted by Herr Doktor on May 7, 2010 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

I am glad you prefaced your comments with the comment that there are probably good dedicated employees within AT&T. I know that there are. I recently had a billing issue where my son talked over the plan minutes for a couple of months.  I called in to change plans to get more minutes.  Not only did the clerk backdate the new plan to avoid overages for the current month, she credited the previous months coverage charge. She was helpful, friendly, and went above and beyond to make sure I was satisfied.

Posted by Mike on May 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

dude- umm have you forgotten that if you call ATT, its a free call (611)??

Posted by Ted LeBlond on May 7, 2010 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

#1, thanks!

#4/5: Have been considering this for a while - Jesse Hollington is currently testing MiFi in Canada and has just been subjected to the full MiFi recall that has Bell and Rogers customers surrendering their units because of battery issues. The price makes it less tempting: $60 versus $30 per month, and having to pay for calls above and beyond that.

#6: There are some _nice_ people there. Friendliness isn’t the issue, though.

#7: Wow. Just wow. Way to completely miss the point, particularly on the topic of the iPad.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on May 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Sadly, if people would just leave AT&T due to these issues, they would be forced to restructure their business model to keep customers.

It’s the “I swore I would never go back to AT&T” people that are keeping this ship afloat.  Too bad we’re all slaves to technology now and just can’t give up what we already have.

Posted by PeterPhan on May 7, 2010 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

I am on Verizon and have never had ATT Wireless.  But the complaints you mention are the same reasons I quit using ATT Long Distance years ago!  I wonder if it must be the ATT culture.

Posted by Al Daum on May 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

Or is it ATT’s business model.

Posted by Al Daum on May 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Well said.  I hope the AG sues the hell out of AT&T for deceptive marketing practices and illegal behavior.

Posted by Bmwang on May 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

@cxc273:

“I think the entire U.S. cellular market is broken—everything from how we get our hardware to customer service. I’d prefer the European model where you buy your phone and then choose a contract provider.”

Heads up - you’ve been able to do this for *years*. All over the US. No big deal. I work for a competing carrier; I do a few bring-your-own-phone activations a week.

Why don’t most US’ers do this? ‘Cause they want the ‘free phone’. They’re hooked on subsidies. Sign up for a two year contract, get a $200 discount on a new phone, spend $480 more in billing for the privilege.

Yeah - a fancy phone costs $400 or so retail. Cough it up today or pay (even more) over two years. Think you should get it for free or $100 or whatever - yeah - I wish my car only cost the first payment too.

Think we’re gouging you? Buy it retail. There are enough competing manufacturers & sales channels you can get nearly anything retail somehow. Just not at the subsidy price. Can’t afford that? Then buy something cheaper. I’d love a fancy car; I don’t whine I can only afford a Civic.

Other consideration: Support. Buy a carrier-phone and we support it. Buy something random, got an issue, call whomever took your money. Sure the carriers will do best effort but hey, not our phone, just our service.

Talk to all of those Nexus One folks who bought it from Google, then discovered their local cell store didn’t know squat about the phone, didn’t have accessories for it, don’t do warranty or service or even in-depth support ‘cause GOOGLE SOLD IT - NOT THE CARRIER. (Think my power company will help me figure out how to use my PC, fix it, whatever? Why not - it’s plugged into their electrical grid!... Yeah, no.)

The US system is broke ‘cause it is what customers _want_. They don’t want to pay retail price, they don’t want to acknowledge that their WhizBang2000 cost that much money, they don’t want to be responsible for themselves.

Americans want to walk into a nice well-lit store full of reasonably knowledgeable people who will help them pick out the right phone, the right plan, tell them what to pay, answer their how-do-I-turn-it-on questions, and send them on their way with a shiny new toy. When something goes wrong, or just confusing, they don’t want to read (“I don’t read manuals”) or call someplace (scary accents!), they want a perky reassuring person who will make it right, NOW, with a minimum of fuss.

They want more technology then went to the moon, in their hand, without having to read a single thing, and Mommy to make it better if anything goes wrong. Anything more is unfair & asks too much.

But if anyone wants to go euro (or wherever) style yeah, it’s doable. It takes about five minutes more effort, a few days of waiting, money up-front, and a bit of self-sufficiency. But it sure is available, so lets kill that inane meme dead.

Posted by Mbear on May 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

I use to have Verizon years ago but after a while, I couldn’t stand:
1. Incompatible Cell phones with the rest of the world.  CDMA is incompatible with GSM.  Thus, I couldn’t travel with Verizon.
2. Inability to text message in every country.
3. Expensive Data Rates - twice as expensive as AT&T.
4. Nickel and Diming to death with

The cellular phone industry in the U.S. is “broken” because the U.S. government did not step in, like in Europe, to mandate a standard communication protocol for all cell phones.  Thus, each of the cellular service providers has a protocol that is incompatible which each other.  Thus, a U.S. customer simply cannot pick up a cell phone and choose the provider.  It can’t happen.  The cell phones are hardware locked to a specific provider due to incompatible communication protocols.  Even AT&T and T-Mobile, which use GSM are incompatible because they both use different frequencies.  This is why the iPhone and iPad 3G, even if sold unlocked, cannot be fully used with T-Mobile. The lack of standardization and interoperability at the hardware level breaks the cell phone industry in the U.S.

If anything, AT&T has the most compatible network by using standard GSM.  People from other countries, such as those in Europe, can simply travel to the U.S. and continue to use their cell phones.  Verizon and Sprint have the least world-wide compatible cell phones.

If the U.S. government would step in and mandate the cell industry use a world-wide standard to foster competition, then obviously it would be the GSM standard, which AT&T uses.  Verizon and Sprint and T-Mobile would be faced with TENS of BILLIONS of dollars in costs to change over to the world-wide standard.  Obviously, this would be unfeasible.

I have AT&T - obviously, since I have the iPhone.  And I am pretty pleased with the service.  AT&T is growing its network.  This was obvious when I have experienced faster rates in rural areas and fewer dead spots in the areas I travel in.  But realize that AT&T has NOT been in the cellular business as long as Verizon has been.  AT&T purchased Cellular One’s cellular business.  Cellular One wasn’t as aggressive as Verizon in building up its network.  AT&T, as the new owner of a cellular network, had its work cut out for it to build it out to compete with Verizon.  But it is improving.

Regarding customer service, I haven’t had problems with contacting a live person and negotiating corrections, etc. It has been fairly straightforward.  Having Wi-Fi spots at Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. has also been highly welcome to greatly speed up internet connections.

Posted by James Katt on May 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

#13: Maybe it’s me, but I’m not following your logic. Buying a phone at full retail doesn’t lower your monthly wireless bill, it only gets you out of a 2-year commitment. Admittedly that may be important to some, but if I’m with a carrier I know and like (or at least can tolerate) why NOT take the subsidy on the phone? It’s not like I won’t use the phone every month for those two years.

How does it cost $480 more to get a subsidized phone over the two years if I’m obligated to pay vs if I’m not obligated to pay but I just want to use the phone?

That said, I feel lucky with my AT&T service. I switched from Verizon to the iPhone almost 2 years ago and have been quite happy with the service. I get better reception with AT&T than I did with Verizon at work, at home and most of the places I go. Obviously that’s very subjective, and again I realize how lucky I am that this is the case given all the horror stories I hear. But I can only speak from personal experience.

The couple of times I’ve called AT&T Customer Service they’ve taken good care of me. One time I was about to go over my monthly minutes (and I didn’t have any rollover minutes as I was only a month or two into my plan) and the rep was helpful and resolved the problem better than I could have hoped by simply giving me some rollover minutes to tide me over.

I’m not discounting the experiences of Jeremy and others, just saying that there are actually a few of us happy AT&T customers.

Now I’m going to go cross my fingers, throw salt over my shoulder, knock on wood, hold my thumbs, and pray to the customer service gods that my luck holds out…

Posted by Marty on May 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

I completely agree with your post.  I recently spent almost two hours on the phone with AT&T Customer Service regarding phones that won’t connect or stay connected to one of their MicroCells.  They would not let me talk to tier 2 support directly and kept having me try the same things over and over.  Didn’t matter how many times I tried to tell them that my wifi was working great and yes, I was in a 3G area and could connect to the internet.  Even when I told them that their AT&T support forum was full of posts where people had connection issues, they would not consider that it was a system-wide problem.  No one at AT&T wanted to face the fact that they will gladly sell you an unlimited minute package for your MicroCell and not disclose that there is no way to force your phone to connect to it.  And if you take the MicroCell back, they want to charge you a re-stocking fee.  So much for doing the right thing for the customer.

Posted by Daniel Eaton on May 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

Kinda off topic, but now could you send this same rant to the folks at AppleCare?  Because they have the same attitude—it’s the customer’s fault, it’s not Apple’s.  “Do you have latest software installed?”  They read from a script; they rarely let you talk to someone higher up, and when you call Customer Relations and get to talk to the gifted Ken Bell (the man responsible for making sure Apple makes billions each quarter and rarely pays out with a new i-this or Mac-that), you will find out that AppleCare means nothing.

Posted by JonnyOneNote on May 7, 2010 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

I couldn’t take it any more.  After having all three iPhones I dumped AT&T and got the new HTC Incredible on Verizon.  its close enough and my iPad will fill up the rest of the slack.  I get much better coverage, call quality, and reliability.  I will never go back to AT&T.  I expect the iPhone will show up on Verizon at some point and will switch back when that happens.

Posted by Darwin on May 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM (PDT)

Jonny you are not kinda off topic you are completely off topic.  I don’t know what your Applecare experience was but most people really like it.  Not the place for your uninformative rant.

Posted by Darwin on May 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM (PDT)

#14 In regards to “Verizon and Sprint have the least world-wide compatible cell phones.” I’m afraid I don’t follow. I’ve used my Verizon phone in the Australia, Hong Kong, Qatar, Bahrain, and yes even the United States of America.  All it takes is the correct phone for international use.
I’m sorry to hear that there is yet one more person that thinks the U.S. Government should step in on free market. Just to make things clear and not political, if people like the way I do business and the product that I sale why should it matter if I make something different then my competitors? That is what makes it a free market.

People purchase what they want from companies they want to do business with. If we use your way of thinking then every vehicle on the road should be required to run on one type of fuel (Oh by the way to be more compatible with the rest of the world we might want to make that Diesel).

You state that “But realize that AT&T has NOT been in the cellular business as long as Verizon has been.” Interesting how you state that shortly after you say that “Verizon and Sprint and T-Mobile would be faced with TENS of BILLIONS of dollars in cost to change over to the world-wide standard.” So what you are trying to say is that every company that has really gotten the mobile phone system running in the U.S. should now be forced to spend money and change to the AT&T system?

Guess when we all switch our cars over to Diesel (so we will be compatible with the rest of the world) we might want to change them over to right hand drive to. After all when I take my Ford to Australia I don’t want to have to put a sign on it that says “left hand drive”. That would almost be as bad as when I took my Verizon phone there and had to get a SIM card from an Australian phone company.

Posted by Jon on May 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM (PDT)

Thank you for your post.  As an AT&T employee, I can see with great conviction that all of the colleagues I personally know are committed to deliver the best customer service that we can.  Occasionally, we make mistakes.  However, today’s social media and blogging has been terrific in putting a giant spotlight on areas that need improving.

Even as an employee, I have occasionally had to deal with billing mistakes and service issues.  So, I know we are not perfect.  But I can tell you from personal experience that issues are highlighted and addressed significantly faster than ever, largely due to posts like these.

For example, day before yesterday a new report came out by Changewave that suggests customers self reported experience of dropped call rate is higher than our competitors.  We have an internal bulletin board where topics such as this are posted and highlighted internally.  I was pleased to know that our top executives were aware of the report moments after it was published.  I was furhter impressed with the seriousness with which they took the report.

For example, on the one hand, reports such as this and the Consumer Reports survey note that the reported customer experience is not where we would like it to be vs our competitors.

However, they struggle to reconcile that with scientificly measured, independent third party testing which shows that our dropped call rate is on par with Verizon and better than the other carriers.  In addition, the % of customers who re-sign on their plans with AT&T are at an all-time high and lead the industry.

So scientific studies and people choosing to stay with AT&T tell one story and reports like Changewave and Consumer Reports are saying soemthing else.  I can say with conviction that our executives take all of these very seriously and are activley looking to understand the apparent disparity of these two extremes.

So, keep on posting when you have a bad expereience.  We are watching and listening and I for one do my best to make sure that our customers are heard and taken care of.

Posted by Jim from Washington DC on May 8, 2010 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

#21 - Just because people are resigning / continuing on AT&T doesn’t mean they like your service. I personally expect to see a mass exodous from AT&T the day the iPhone moves to any other carrier. Your company has enjoyed an artificial revenue stream. The flow of cash into AT&T via Apple products is certainly sizable. You have benefited from the millions of users who want the iPhone (read Apple) experence. What percentage of those users will remain with AT&T when they have a choice?  Time will telll. Once Verizon starts rolling out LTE, Apple will drop the exclusivety that AT&T enjoyed.

Posted by JD in the land of att on May 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM (PDT)

Thank you for this insightful article. Convinced me to cancel my iPad 3GS order.

Posted by iPhodTracker on May 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

#21
Yea, I imagine you’d side with your “scientific” data that shows your service hangs in the middle of the pack with other cell carriers. That would keep you from having to lend much credence to the hundreds of articles, blogs and customer rants that slam your service every month.

Let me lay something on you that you may not want to hear: the iPhone is the only reason you’re enjoying the success you are. The ONLY reason. You keep listening to your scientists; when the iphone becomes available anyplace else, maybe they can help you feel better about the hemorrhaging of your customer base.

Posted by jtsnyc47 on May 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM (PDT)

#21 “In addition, the % of customers who re-sign on their plans with AT&T are at an all-time high and lead the industry.”

This is primarily due to two factors, 1) corporate customers and 2) Apple exclusivity. To use contract renewals as evidence of customer satisfaction is a prime example of a statistical spurious relationship (look it up).

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on May 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

VERY nice article about a VERY awful company.

Like so many others, I have my own AT&T horror story. You can read the gory details at julesolder.com/books.htm. In the lower right corner, click on The Worst Company in the World.

jules

Posted by jules older on May 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

@13- Yes, the U.S. wireless market is completely screwed up, but it’s not just the subsidy-model.  The real issue, to me, is the whole technology behind it.  In most of the rest of the world, you can take your iPhone (or any unlocked phone) to any carrier because they all run the same GSM and 3G network, so the phone hardware is compatible.  Even if you have an unlocked iPhone you can’t take it to Sprint or Verizon because it just won’t work, and while you could take it to T-Mobile, you can’t get 3G on it which kind of defeats the purpose.  I know this will never happen in a million years, but I wish the government would step in and force all U.S. carriers to convert to GSM and use the same frequencies for 3G/4G, etc and at the same time mandate that all phones be sold unlocked.  Then carriers could keep their ETF’s but once you finish your contract (or pay your ETF), you’re free to use your phone on any carrier.

Being able to bring your own hardware to a U.S. phone carrier doesn’t mean much when in most cases it has to be a phone that was specifically designed to work on that carrier (esp. for smartphones).

Posted by Dyvim on May 14, 2010 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Good post. I’ve had a very similar experience with AT&T. Dropped calls are common anywhere in metro Denver, and particularly bad in W Denver where I live. Sometimes, I just plain can’t make an outgoing call at all!

To make matters worse, they keep jerking me around on my billing. I work for the state government, which qualifies me for a 15% discount on parts of my bill. I had been getting it for a few months when I bought my iPhone last Oct. When I switched phones, AT&T dropped my discount. Took me a couple of months to notice, and I called in and was told it would be fixed. They fixed it.

But then they dropped it again a couple of months later. I called and complained bitterly. They told me they would reinstate it, which they did. Then I got a form in the mail saying I had to verify that I qualify for the discount again! I filled it out and faxed it back just to be done with it. Silly me.

I got a notice saying that my bill was going back to normal, no discount, but no reason. I called in again, and was told that the redacted pay stub I had faxed didn’t have my employer’s name on it. Have you ever seen a pay stub that didn’t have the organization’s name on it? I haven’t. I called and complained bitterly that this was all ridiculous, that I have given proof of employment in order to get the discount in the first place and shouldn’t have to keep revalidating it. They finally gave me the discount again. For now.

While all this was going on with my discount, AT&T sent me an offer in the mail for buying ringtones. I didn’t realize it was a subscription, thought it was a one-time thing, and agreed to pay $9.95 for some ringtones. It wasn’t til I clicked the final ok that I realized it was a subscription and I was supposed to pay $9.95 for more ringtones forever! Who needs $10 worth of ringtones per month for forever???

I immediately called AT&T and explained the misunderstanding. They said no problem and that they would remove my name and cancel the account, I wouldn’t have to pay anything. When I noticed my bill was very high, partly because of the yet again dropped discount, I found I had also been charged the $9.95 I’d been told I wouldn’t have to pay. I called AT&T about both, got the discount taken care of, but was told I’d have to pay the $9.95 one time only, and that they’d cancel the ringtone account after that! I was pissed!

I demanded to talk to a supervisor. None were busy, but she told me one would call me within two days to resolve it. When no one called, three days later, I called back again, and found that the $10 had been removed and the ringtone account cancelled, but no one had bothered to call and tell me!

Service doesn’t get much worse than this! AT&T reminds me of Sears, both like to play a shell game with their customers, offering discounts and then doing everything in their power to cheat you out of it! Pretty crumby way of treating customers in my estimation. Do they really think they make enough money this way to compensate for the bad relationship they create with so many customers? I guess they do, or they wouldn’t do it. But I’ll bet that if they did a study, they’d find out it costs them more in the long run to pursue this practice and alienate their customers.

I’d happily join in a class action lawsuit or an old fashioned lynching of AT&T management. They richly deserve it.

Posted by Dave Bellamy on May 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM (PDT)