Another day, more iPod knockoffs (aka: Wal-Marting, Part 2)
In all candor, this isn’t really news, as it looks like O2 Cool’s iFan (below) has been on the market since mid-2006, but it is sort of amazing to see the depths that companies will go to in order to capitalize on Apple’s designs. Sold at Wal-Mart - last I checked, an Apple Authorized Reseller - the iFan is a battery powered portable fan in the shape of a second-generation iPod, complete with a lanyard so you can wear it around your neck. It apparently wasn’t enough to knock off the standard iPod, so O2 Cool also took the black and red U2 iPod as a second design, then made green and blue ones, too. Amazingly, prices on this range from around $5 to nearly $20, depending on the store selling it.
There’s also this little ditty: Samsonite’s iPod Universal Form-Fit Socks. Pull out the words “Samsonite” and “Universal Form-Fit” and you’re left with… “iPod Socks.” Which is what they were called when Apple released the exact same thing, in the same colors, back in 2004. We didn’t open the package to see whether the company bothered to replace the Apple logos with Samsonite ones, or just left the originals intact.
Perhaps we’re just not Wal-Mart’s target customers, but it’s odd to see how the store’s iPod-related inventory is becoming more and more like a Fry’s, which itself is becoming more and more like a flea market. It’s as if the race to the bottom of the sewer has gone national. Do these stores desperately need new buyers, or is this sort of stuff really what people want?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, sign up now
- Japan Display vying to be Apple’s primary display supplier (Update: new plant confirmed)
- Apple comes to the Dow Jones Industrial Average, will replace AT&T
- Apple extends iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit (Update: settlement approved)
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?