Apple sells 106k iPods a day, every day
Just a quick thought: Apple announced back in October that it had sold more than 39 million iPods during its fiscal year 2006, which ran from October of 2005 to September of 2006. Doing a little math, that means that on average, Apple sold 106,849 iPods every day during that year.
And if you’re willing to accept today’s wildly speculative analyst’s report that Apple could sell 20 million iPods during just the Holiday 2006 quarter alone, divide through by 92 days, and hit the equal button, you’ll see an even crazier number: 217,391 iPods per day up until December 31. We think the total number’s going to be a little lower - 18 million, give or take a million - but who knows, maybe the analyst is right. Or even conservative.
Whether it’s 100,000 or 200,000 iPods a day, every day, for three months or a year, those numbers are incredibly impressive, and suggest just how strong the iPod really is as it goes into the holiday season. It puts some perspective on the news that Sony was able to sell around 88,400 PlayStation 3 consoles to its hardest core fans and online auctioneers during this weekend’s two-day Japanese launch, and suggests just how much luck Microsoft is going to have making even a dent in the iPod’s success.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015