Apple sells 106k iPods a day, every day
Just a quick thought: Apple announced back in October that it had sold more than 39 million iPods during its fiscal year 2006, which ran from October of 2005 to September of 2006. Doing a little math, that means that on average, Apple sold 106,849 iPods every day during that year.
And if you’re willing to accept today’s wildly speculative analyst’s report that Apple could sell 20 million iPods during just the Holiday 2006 quarter alone, divide through by 92 days, and hit the equal button, you’ll see an even crazier number: 217,391 iPods per day up until December 31. We think the total number’s going to be a little lower - 18 million, give or take a million - but who knows, maybe the analyst is right. Or even conservative.
Whether it’s 100,000 or 200,000 iPods a day, every day, for three months or a year, those numbers are incredibly impressive, and suggest just how strong the iPod really is as it goes into the holiday season. It puts some perspective on the news that Sony was able to sell around 88,400 PlayStation 3 consoles to its hardest core fans and online auctioneers during this weekend’s two-day Japanese launch, and suggests just how much luck Microsoft is going to have making even a dent in the iPod’s success.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?