Apple sells 106k iPods a day, every day
Just a quick thought: Apple announced back in October that it had sold more than 39 million iPods during its fiscal year 2006, which ran from October of 2005 to September of 2006. Doing a little math, that means that on average, Apple sold 106,849 iPods every day during that year.
And if you’re willing to accept today’s wildly speculative analyst’s report that Apple could sell 20 million iPods during just the Holiday 2006 quarter alone, divide through by 92 days, and hit the equal button, you’ll see an even crazier number: 217,391 iPods per day up until December 31. We think the total number’s going to be a little lower - 18 million, give or take a million - but who knows, maybe the analyst is right. Or even conservative.
Whether it’s 100,000 or 200,000 iPods a day, every day, for three months or a year, those numbers are incredibly impressive, and suggest just how strong the iPod really is as it goes into the holiday season. It puts some perspective on the news that Sony was able to sell around 88,400 PlayStation 3 consoles to its hardest core fans and online auctioneers during this weekend’s two-day Japanese launch, and suggests just how much luck Microsoft is going to have making even a dent in the iPod’s success.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?