Apple sells 106k iPods a day, every day
Just a quick thought: Apple announced back in October that it had sold more than 39 million iPods during its fiscal year 2006, which ran from October of 2005 to September of 2006. Doing a little math, that means that on average, Apple sold 106,849 iPods every day during that year.
And if you’re willing to accept today’s wildly speculative analyst’s report that Apple could sell 20 million iPods during just the Holiday 2006 quarter alone, divide through by 92 days, and hit the equal button, you’ll see an even crazier number: 217,391 iPods per day up until December 31. We think the total number’s going to be a little lower - 18 million, give or take a million - but who knows, maybe the analyst is right. Or even conservative.
Whether it’s 100,000 or 200,000 iPods a day, every day, for three months or a year, those numbers are incredibly impressive, and suggest just how strong the iPod really is as it goes into the holiday season. It puts some perspective on the news that Sony was able to sell around 88,400 PlayStation 3 consoles to its hardest core fans and online auctioneers during this weekend’s two-day Japanese launch, and suggests just how much luck Microsoft is going to have making even a dent in the iPod’s success.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple’s Eddy Cue shares his hopes for Apple News
- Report: Apple testing dual front cameras, wireless charging, and more in iPhone 7 prototypes
- Apple expands Personal Pickup to 6 more EU countries
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- House of Marley Chant Sport Portable Audio System
- Grid Connect ConnectSense Smart Outlet
- iDevices Switch HomeKit and Wi-Fi enabled plug
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Pro
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?