Apple’s Event One Week Away… And Still No iPad 4.1 Beta
As any iPad owner with an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, or third-generation iPod touch knows, it’s been a long two months since the release of iOS 4. Every satisfying double-click to multitask or glance at a unified mailbox on Apple’s pocket devices only serves as a reminder of the iPad software’s shortcomings. So nearly six months after Apple promised a Fall delivery of iOS 4 for iPad, and with a great opportunity coming up next week to talk about it, where do we stand in terms of progress? Seemingly not so close to the finish line.
Every time Apple releases a major iOS update, it provides developers with multiple beta versions of both the new software and tools for testing applications, usually giving old and new apps alike roughly three months to get ready before a public release. If Apple is to follow a similar schedule for the iPad’s build of iOS, and actually release an iPad iOS 4.x SDK next week—something that’s possible but hasn’t been widely discussed—that still means we, as consumers, might not see 4.x on our iPads until December. There’s an outside possibility that even a late 2010 release might not be in the cards; Apple could hold off until iOS 4.2, which might come a year after the original iPad introduction… right in line with the targeted release date of the iPad mini.
Even if you put aside multitasking, mail, and the other quality-of-life features iOS 4.0 would bring to the iPad, note that some developers—such as the makers of the iPad DJ app Mixr—have been waiting on the arrival of the updated software before moving forward with development of new, more advanced apps, and the number of titles that are iOS 4.0-only and thus refuse to even install on the iPad (or show up in its version of the App Store) has been climbing. It’s time for Apple to let iPad owners know when they’ll be able to run iOS 4 apps, and receive the other useful benefits of the latest operating system.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?