Apple’s Event One Week Away… And Still No iPad 4.1 Beta
As any iPad owner with an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, or third-generation iPod touch knows, it’s been a long two months since the release of iOS 4. Every satisfying double-click to multitask or glance at a unified mailbox on Apple’s pocket devices only serves as a reminder of the iPad software’s shortcomings. So nearly six months after Apple promised a Fall delivery of iOS 4 for iPad, and with a great opportunity coming up next week to talk about it, where do we stand in terms of progress? Seemingly not so close to the finish line.
Every time Apple releases a major iOS update, it provides developers with multiple beta versions of both the new software and tools for testing applications, usually giving old and new apps alike roughly three months to get ready before a public release. If Apple is to follow a similar schedule for the iPad’s build of iOS, and actually release an iPad iOS 4.x SDK next week—something that’s possible but hasn’t been widely discussed—that still means we, as consumers, might not see 4.x on our iPads until December. There’s an outside possibility that even a late 2010 release might not be in the cards; Apple could hold off until iOS 4.2, which might come a year after the original iPad introduction… right in line with the targeted release date of the iPad mini.
Even if you put aside multitasking, mail, and the other quality-of-life features iOS 4.0 would bring to the iPad, note that some developers—such as the makers of the iPad DJ app Mixr—have been waiting on the arrival of the updated software before moving forward with development of new, more advanced apps, and the number of titles that are iOS 4.0-only and thus refuse to even install on the iPad (or show up in its version of the App Store) has been climbing. It’s time for Apple to let iPad owners know when they’ll be able to run iOS 4 apps, and receive the other useful benefits of the latest operating system.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?