Backstage: A mini Skirt for Mac mini
A couple of weeks ago, we had a chance to check out Plasticsmith’s mini Tower, a clear acrylic Mac mini mounting accessory we thought was an unmitigated success. As it turned out, the company was simultaneously showing a clear horizontal mount (the mini Skirt), and we immediately thought, “hey, that would go really, really well with a glowing blue light.” It turned out that Plasticsmith was already working on one, and it’s just been released.
The mini Skirt glo ($29.95) is actually available in both blue and white versions, the latter a bright(er) complement to the minimalistic white power lamp on the Mac mini’s front. But the blue version offers the dramatic sort of neon glow that fans of modern customized cars and computers will love, casting light at all angles off the Mac mini’s bottom. Power is supplied by one of the Mac mini’s USB ports, and there’s an on-off switch, just in case you want to flip the lamp off without physically disconnecting the plug. Four rubber tips on the Skirt’s top keep your Mac mini’s bottom vents open.
We love the look and the price of the Skirt glo - admittedly, we’re suckers for blue lights, an addiction started by Griffin’s PowerMate and fueled by earlier acrylic offerings from MacMice. If the illumination concept works on any Macintosh, no doubt it’s best suited to the Mac mini, which is cheap enough to leave even students with cash on the table for accessories. The only issue: USB ports on the Mac mini are precious, and some people won’t or can’t occupy one with a purely decorative accessory. Since the Mac mini begs for a USB hub, Plasticsmith could have an even bigger hit on its hands if it dropped the on-off switch and sold a matching hub; if so, you’d probably never want to turn off the light. But if you already have the hub, put this one on your wish list.
Click on Read more for a bunch of additional photos.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?