Backstage: A mini Skirt for Mac mini
A couple of weeks ago, we had a chance to check out Plasticsmith’s mini Tower, a clear acrylic Mac mini mounting accessory we thought was an unmitigated success. As it turned out, the company was simultaneously showing a clear horizontal mount (the mini Skirt), and we immediately thought, “hey, that would go really, really well with a glowing blue light.” It turned out that Plasticsmith was already working on one, and it’s just been released.
The mini Skirt glo ($29.95) is actually available in both blue and white versions, the latter a bright(er) complement to the minimalistic white power lamp on the Mac mini’s front. But the blue version offers the dramatic sort of neon glow that fans of modern customized cars and computers will love, casting light at all angles off the Mac mini’s bottom. Power is supplied by one of the Mac mini’s USB ports, and there’s an on-off switch, just in case you want to flip the lamp off without physically disconnecting the plug. Four rubber tips on the Skirt’s top keep your Mac mini’s bottom vents open.
We love the look and the price of the Skirt glo - admittedly, we’re suckers for blue lights, an addiction started by Griffin’s PowerMate and fueled by earlier acrylic offerings from MacMice. If the illumination concept works on any Macintosh, no doubt it’s best suited to the Mac mini, which is cheap enough to leave even students with cash on the table for accessories. The only issue: USB ports on the Mac mini are precious, and some people won’t or can’t occupy one with a purely decorative accessory. Since the Mac mini begs for a USB hub, Plasticsmith could have an even bigger hit on its hands if it dropped the on-off switch and sold a matching hub; if so, you’d probably never want to turn off the light. But if you already have the hub, put this one on your wish list.
Click on Read more for a bunch of additional photos.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Unboxing the new 9.7-inch iPad
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10