Backstage: A postscript on The Free iPod Book
Now that The Free iPod Book is done - at least in its current form - I wanted to share a couple of behind-the-scenes thoughts with the few of you who might care to hear such things.
The first is “whew.” Have you seen that thing? Imagine working on it every day for a while, wanting to tell everyone about all of the cool stuff inside, and not being able to do so until it was all done. And also doing podcasts and working on the site full-time while it’s going on. Even by crazy month standards, it’s been a crazy month.
The second is “crunch.” If you’ve worked in an industry where crunch is part of the work cycle, you probably know how we’re feeling right now. For those unfamiliar, crunch is that time leading up to the close of a project where people work unusually long hours in order to bring everything to a close - if it’s started early enough, amongst other factors, the project finishes on time and everyone gets comped a few days or weeks of vacation to compensate. If it’s not, the project still winds up late and people either demand comp time or quit.
I have fought to prevent crunch time in organizations whenever possible - I’m a big, big fan of managing work and resources so that it’s not necessary. We’ve never missed a self-imposed deadline for one of our Guides, but we’ve always had a bit of crunch time near the end. This time, because we’ve learned from our previous efforts, the Book required the least crunch time of all of our publications, despite being 40% bigger and probably 60% more demanding than either of them.
Some seriously excellent work was done this time out, too. Larry & Bob’s iTunes tips are wonderful and light. Dennis’s visuals (and numerous other contributions) are sublime. And Jerrod + UK Bob’s Directory is great as well. Please check it all out if you haven’t already. And feel free to ask questions here. I’ll try to answer them - as soon as I wake up.
Edit 8/16/05: Forgot to mention this, but for frequent readers of Backstage, The Free iPod Book is the Delta Project I mentioned here many months ago, after finishing the first Buyers’ Guide. And it’s not finished yet.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker than iPhone 6
- Apple Pay set to launch in UK on July 14?
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?