Backstage: A TransFlash memory card for iTunes phones?
Since cell phones typically lack significant internal memory, most of the talk about iTunes-ready Motorola phones has focused upon TransFlash memory cards - a little-known flash format that now competes against established players such as CompactFlash, SD, and Sony’s Memory Stick (Pro Duo) as a storage medium. With these cards, you can store tens or hundreds of songs on something no bigger than a woman’s fingernail. Depicted here is a 32MB card, with enough space for around 10 songs. If you shop carefully, you can buy a 512MB card (100-120 songs) for $100.
More information on TransFlash is available at Read More, below. Updated July 14: TransFlash has just been renamed “MicroSD.”
Upon release, Sony’s Memory Stick Pro Duo was pretty expensive, but impressive in its postage stamp-sized footprint. Now TransFlash has come along at a size so small that competing cards seem giant by comparison - who would ever have thought that CompactFlash cards, for instance, could look ridiculously oversized? On the other hand, there’s no way you’re carrying a bunch of TransFlash cards in your pocket without losing some of them. Carriers will be a necessity.
A TransFlash card can be inserted into certain existing Motorola phones and used to store MP3-format music, screen savers, video clips and still pictures. (On an iTunes-enabled phone, the same card could presumably be used to store AAC-format iTunes Music Store downloads as well.) With a SD card adapter, you can transfer songs onto the TransFlash card using existing memory card readers; Motorola also makes TransFlash-ready readers of its own.
Wireless transfers to the TransFlash’s memory? Depends on the phone and the software provided. Lots of Motorola phones now have Bluetooth, so if your computer can sync with Bluetooth devices (and the phone can write to the TransFlash card as a storage device), you’ll be in business. Motorola’s recent V635, for instance, allows the card to be used as a USB storage device, and even supports DRM with expiring files, limited transfers, and a key. It’s all interesting food for thought, isn’t it?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?