Backstage: A TransFlash memory card for iTunes phones?
Since cell phones typically lack significant internal memory, most of the talk about iTunes-ready Motorola phones has focused upon TransFlash memory cards - a little-known flash format that now competes against established players such as CompactFlash, SD, and Sony’s Memory Stick (Pro Duo) as a storage medium. With these cards, you can store tens or hundreds of songs on something no bigger than a woman’s fingernail. Depicted here is a 32MB card, with enough space for around 10 songs. If you shop carefully, you can buy a 512MB card (100-120 songs) for $100.
More information on TransFlash is available at Read More, below. Updated July 14: TransFlash has just been renamed “MicroSD.”
Upon release, Sony’s Memory Stick Pro Duo was pretty expensive, but impressive in its postage stamp-sized footprint. Now TransFlash has come along at a size so small that competing cards seem giant by comparison - who would ever have thought that CompactFlash cards, for instance, could look ridiculously oversized? On the other hand, there’s no way you’re carrying a bunch of TransFlash cards in your pocket without losing some of them. Carriers will be a necessity.
A TransFlash card can be inserted into certain existing Motorola phones and used to store MP3-format music, screen savers, video clips and still pictures. (On an iTunes-enabled phone, the same card could presumably be used to store AAC-format iTunes Music Store downloads as well.) With a SD card adapter, you can transfer songs onto the TransFlash card using existing memory card readers; Motorola also makes TransFlash-ready readers of its own.
Wireless transfers to the TransFlash’s memory? Depends on the phone and the software provided. Lots of Motorola phones now have Bluetooth, so if your computer can sync with Bluetooth devices (and the phone can write to the TransFlash card as a storage device), you’ll be in business. Motorola’s recent V635, for instance, allows the card to be used as a USB storage device, and even supports DRM with expiring files, limited transfers, and a key. It’s all interesting food for thought, isn’t it?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Logitech debuts Type+ Keyboard for iPad Air
- Upcoming iPad Air to have gold color option
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- Spigen Capsule, Neo Hybrid / EX / Metal + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch