Backstage: A TransFlash memory card for iTunes phones?
Since cell phones typically lack significant internal memory, most of the talk about iTunes-ready Motorola phones has focused upon TransFlash memory cards - a little-known flash format that now competes against established players such as CompactFlash, SD, and Sony’s Memory Stick (Pro Duo) as a storage medium. With these cards, you can store tens or hundreds of songs on something no bigger than a woman’s fingernail. Depicted here is a 32MB card, with enough space for around 10 songs. If you shop carefully, you can buy a 512MB card (100-120 songs) for $100.
More information on TransFlash is available at Read More, below. Updated July 14: TransFlash has just been renamed “MicroSD.”
Upon release, Sony’s Memory Stick Pro Duo was pretty expensive, but impressive in its postage stamp-sized footprint. Now TransFlash has come along at a size so small that competing cards seem giant by comparison - who would ever have thought that CompactFlash cards, for instance, could look ridiculously oversized? On the other hand, there’s no way you’re carrying a bunch of TransFlash cards in your pocket without losing some of them. Carriers will be a necessity.
A TransFlash card can be inserted into certain existing Motorola phones and used to store MP3-format music, screen savers, video clips and still pictures. (On an iTunes-enabled phone, the same card could presumably be used to store AAC-format iTunes Music Store downloads as well.) With a SD card adapter, you can transfer songs onto the TransFlash card using existing memory card readers; Motorola also makes TransFlash-ready readers of its own.
Wireless transfers to the TransFlash’s memory? Depends on the phone and the software provided. Lots of Motorola phones now have Bluetooth, so if your computer can sync with Bluetooth devices (and the phone can write to the TransFlash card as a storage device), you’ll be in business. Motorola’s recent V635, for instance, allows the card to be used as a USB storage device, and even supports DRM with expiring files, limited transfers, and a key. It’s all interesting food for thought, isn’t it?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Happy Columbus Day + Canadian Thanksgiving!
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?