Backstage: Apple drops Remote and Case pack-ins | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: Apple drops Remote and Case pack-ins

As iLounge moderator Andy Hedin was first to point out, Apple has unexpectedly and belatedly removed two pack-ins from the new 40GB iPod’s box - after listing them on its web site. For the moment, it appears that neither the wired Remote control ($39) nor Apple’s fabric carrying case with belt clip ($39) will be included with either fourth-generation iPod, a change from past Apple practice. Prior generations of iPods differentiated between price points not only with storage capacity, but with pack-ins, such that the top two iPods each included these otherwise optional accessories; now the only difference between the iPods will be the inclusion of the optional Dock ($39) in the 40GB box. Additionally, Apple’s web site now states that neither the new 40GB iPod nor the 20GB iPod will ship with a 4-to-6 pin FireWire adapter, a piece previously included mostly for PC laptop users.

While these changes were most likely made to achieve cost reductions, we’re still surprised that Apple’s web page launched this morning with inaccurate information, even including third-generation iPod part numbers. For reference, a screen grab comparison of the relevant portions of the original and revised pages appears below.

pic

« Backstage: iPod, iPod, iPod, iRiver

Backstage: We looked, no new iPods @ Apple Store »

Comments

Why is this a backstage blog item?  Seems like news to me.  ;)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on July 19, 2004 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

I don’t care about the remote, but I DO use the Apple Case.

However, maybe Apple looked at what cases people were using and determined that the case is not a selling point for most people.

Posted by Cameron on July 19, 2004 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

Jerrod: Yeah, I wrestled with whether it was worth posting the expanded version as “news” or not. So the front page has a few sentences on it as an “UPDATE” within the original story, but the greater detail appears here for those who are interested.

Cameron: The case was the one thing that never left my iPod’s box. Each one of the previously included items is, in my humble opinion, a complete ripoff when purchased separately, but it was nice to have them in the box.

I’m personally hoping that this signals the release of a superior LCD remote from Apple, but I’m not holding my breath.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on July 19, 2004 at 5:19 PM (CDT)

As per the 4-to-6 pin FireWire adapter: since the Click Wheel iPod charges off USB 2.0, it seems unlikely that Apple would want to encourage the use of unpowered FireWire any more, especially when PCs are more likely to have USB 2.0 anyway.

Posted by Noman on July 19, 2004 at 9:45 PM (CDT)

doesnt the ipod charge off the firewire also?

Posted by annony on July 20, 2004 at 1:24 AM (CDT)

I cancelled an Iriver player I had on order after the announcement of the 40 Gig Ipod as it appeared to be a much cheaper option. If now however I have to buy a firewire adapter, a case, an external battery pack and a remote separately, its actually going to add up to more than my Iriver H340 would have cost and that player has a better battery life and more features. I don’t know what to do.

Posted by Fluidity on July 20, 2004 at 1:30 AM (CDT)

doesnt the ipod charge off the firewire also?
NOt if you use the 6pin to 4 pin adapter.

buy a firewire adapter,

use the usb cord

and a remote separately

the remote is compeltely useless.. you will never use it. its just… crap. not worth your time.

Posted by unkownsoldier on July 20, 2004 at 3:07 AM (CDT)

If you ordered the 40GB before the specs got changed, they are honoring the old specs.  My order confirmation was 12:14 EST, and they added the retail carry case and remote to my order at no charge when I called.  Good luck.

Posted by JDeLuca on July 20, 2004 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

I orderd at 8:00 pm, and the woman at Apple couldn’t have been nicer. She said it was a limited time offer, and that since I had ordered on the 19th, she added the remote and case to my order for no charge.

I did find out that the Overnight shipping I ordered wasn’t available though, as it’s coming from Shanghai.

Posted by Ryan on July 21, 2004 at 11:58 AM (CDT)

Clarification: you DO get a Firewire cable, and a USB cable too. You do NOT get a 4-pin Firewire connector, though, just a “real” 6-pin FW cable—the kind that carries power.

Many Windows PCs cut costs by using unpowered 4-pin Firewire. A shame. Macs and better PCs use the “real” thing.

If you don’t have 6-pin Firewire, then you can use either USB or AC to charge. You can use USB to synch, or get a 4-to-6-pin adapter for your Firewire—which will then also charge for you.

Posted by Nagromme on July 22, 2004 at 1:45 AM (CDT)

BTW, it’s interesting that engraving is still free on iPods. A nice security measure, and great for gifts—a seldom-mentioned feature iPods have over other players, as long as it keeps on being free! I’d have expected that to end long ago.

Posted by Nagromme on July 22, 2004 at 1:47 AM (CDT)

So what case are people using for this new one?  Either order the $40 previously “free one” or go naked?

Posted by Jude on July 22, 2004 at 10:21 AM (CDT)

At least yours is slated to get to you this week. Both our iPods seem to have taken the same flight from China. Mine, however, isn’t expected till Monday. Clever FedEx has routed my packaged from Alaska to Oregon by way of Indiana.

Jude: I’ll be using the case Apple added to my order, which is nice because otherwise I’d have ended up using a paper bag or something :)

Posted by Ryan on July 22, 2004 at 12:30 PM (CDT)

Oops, commented on the wrong article. That first bit was re: slow boat from China.

Posted by Ryan on July 22, 2004 at 12:34 PM (CDT)

That’s great for you, but what do the rest of us do? Anyone know of new cases which will accommodate the 4G?

Posted by Jude on July 22, 2004 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

I called Apple this AM after hearing that I would not be recieving the remote and case and they added it.  My order was placed on Monday at 8:26am

Posted by Howard on July 22, 2004 at 4:23 PM (CDT)

The case and remote was carried on the high-end 40GB.  Given that they upgraded the mid-level to 40GB (and kept the mid-line price) and the low-level to 20GB, it stands to reason that these options will be bundled with the new high-end 60GB model, coming out in a few months.
This way, Apple can SAY they lowered, the price, when in reality, they just upped the capacity. That’s why the 15GB was dropped as well.

Posted by Tinpod on July 23, 2004 at 1:11 PM (CDT)

FWIW, I tried to see if they would supply the remote/case to me since I thought (based on the apple press releases) that they would be in there (“same as 3G but cheaper and better bat mgmt, etc.”).  My purchase was for a 4G 40GB on 24 Jul at a reseller.

I called and after being bounced around, eventually “Sean” said no, I would need to take it up with the reseller (Best Buy in Wilmington, DE).

I never used the remote/case that much in my 3G; prob. not worth the fight.

Posted by cydnub on July 27, 2004 at 11:58 AM (CDT)

Does anyone have the original screen shot from the Apple website that showed the the included remote and case??  I am having trouble with customer service….

Could you please post a higher-resolution screen shot if you have it???

Posted by Phil on July 27, 2004 at 4:46 PM (CDT)