Backstage: Apple drops Remote and Case pack-ins
As iLounge moderator Andy Hedin was first to point out, Apple has unexpectedly and belatedly removed two pack-ins from the new 40GB iPod’s box - after listing them on its web site. For the moment, it appears that neither the wired Remote control ($39) nor Apple’s fabric carrying case with belt clip ($39) will be included with either fourth-generation iPod, a change from past Apple practice. Prior generations of iPods differentiated between price points not only with storage capacity, but with pack-ins, such that the top two iPods each included these otherwise optional accessories; now the only difference between the iPods will be the inclusion of the optional Dock ($39) in the 40GB box. Additionally, Apple’s web site now states that neither the new 40GB iPod nor the 20GB iPod will ship with a 4-to-6 pin FireWire adapter, a piece previously included mostly for PC laptop users.
While these changes were most likely made to achieve cost reductions, we’re still surprised that Apple’s web page launched this morning with inaccurate information, even including third-generation iPod part numbers. For reference, a screen grab comparison of the relevant portions of the original and revised pages appears below.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015