Backstage: Big queue awaits, Daiginjo Sake on tap
The big story that I was saving for Backstage - the H2O Audio SV-iMini - unexpectedly turned into a main site piece last week when the AP reviewed a faulty unit. We’ve been playing with a unit and found that in addition to the water issues the AP described, which can range from minor (no issue in a shower, a few drops when dunked) to major (seal fails, case fills with water), there are also some volume issues with the included headphones, as well. From what H2O has told us, some of their headphones get damaged in shipping and don’t play at standard volume levels as a result. We’ve now received two sets of headphones and both have the same issue: plug them in and you get “normal” volume only if you crank up the iPod’s volume to max. It’s not the case, which we’ve used with other headphones without a problem. It’s the phones.
Our guess is that the AP reviewer had the same issue, but didn’t realize that this was also a problem when he took them underwater and found them generally easier to hear against the quiet of the pool. We’ve tested in a shower and found the headphones almost unusable against a noisier background. A major bummer, because the case’s iPod mini interface is so incredibly well-designed. If it wasn’t for the fact that you can’t really take it underwater and have problems listening to it in the shower, it would be the ideal… well, yeah, okay.
There is an absolutely insane pile of stuff here awaiting review, including (in no particular order): silicone cases from XtremeMac and Gadget Accessories, utility cases from Acme Made, the Charger from Incase, the iPak and iGrip from Handstands, a hundred other things from XtremeMac, the Yahba Opus in-ear headphones, some iPod mini and iPod lanyard and belt clips from Rivet, Marware’s TrailVue for 4G iPods, and wood Dock covers from Westshore Craftworks. I’m sure I’m missing a few other something elses, but they’re here.
On a personal note, my puppy (Sake the iLounge Husky) is now officially registered with the American Kennel Club under his proper name - Innisfree Daiginjo Sake. Innisfree is the name of his (famous) kennel, and Daiginjo Sake is the top-shelf form of the famed Japanese wine. As Sake’s the closest thing to a kid as I have at the moment, I like to mention him on Backstage (and would even post pictures if I thought anyone cared), but try not to blog the mushy boring stuff of my life too often. :-) Maybe this will inspire Dennis to toss up some new photos of Rocket.
Another brief personal note: peace and warm wishes to all of those affected by Ziff-Davis’ out-of nowhere closure of GMR and XBN magazines today. While these closures primarily underscore the continued decline of the print magazine business, they conversely demonstrate the inability of major publishers to cultivate and establish their most talented personnel in a marketplace hungering for accurate information. A big shame, and certainly not one that reflects on the individuals laid off today. Good luck, guys.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?