Backstage: Big queue awaits, Daiginjo Sake on tap
The big story that I was saving for Backstage - the H2O Audio SV-iMini - unexpectedly turned into a main site piece last week when the AP reviewed a faulty unit. We’ve been playing with a unit and found that in addition to the water issues the AP described, which can range from minor (no issue in a shower, a few drops when dunked) to major (seal fails, case fills with water), there are also some volume issues with the included headphones, as well. From what H2O has told us, some of their headphones get damaged in shipping and don’t play at standard volume levels as a result. We’ve now received two sets of headphones and both have the same issue: plug them in and you get “normal” volume only if you crank up the iPod’s volume to max. It’s not the case, which we’ve used with other headphones without a problem. It’s the phones.
Our guess is that the AP reviewer had the same issue, but didn’t realize that this was also a problem when he took them underwater and found them generally easier to hear against the quiet of the pool. We’ve tested in a shower and found the headphones almost unusable against a noisier background. A major bummer, because the case’s iPod mini interface is so incredibly well-designed. If it wasn’t for the fact that you can’t really take it underwater and have problems listening to it in the shower, it would be the ideal… well, yeah, okay.
There is an absolutely insane pile of stuff here awaiting review, including (in no particular order): silicone cases from XtremeMac and Gadget Accessories, utility cases from Acme Made, the Charger from Incase, the iPak and iGrip from Handstands, a hundred other things from XtremeMac, the Yahba Opus in-ear headphones, some iPod mini and iPod lanyard and belt clips from Rivet, Marware’s TrailVue for 4G iPods, and wood Dock covers from Westshore Craftworks. I’m sure I’m missing a few other something elses, but they’re here.
On a personal note, my puppy (Sake the iLounge Husky) is now officially registered with the American Kennel Club under his proper name - Innisfree Daiginjo Sake. Innisfree is the name of his (famous) kennel, and Daiginjo Sake is the top-shelf form of the famed Japanese wine. As Sake’s the closest thing to a kid as I have at the moment, I like to mention him on Backstage (and would even post pictures if I thought anyone cared), but try not to blog the mushy boring stuff of my life too often. :-) Maybe this will inspire Dennis to toss up some new photos of Rocket.
Another brief personal note: peace and warm wishes to all of those affected by Ziff-Davis’ out-of nowhere closure of GMR and XBN magazines today. While these closures primarily underscore the continued decline of the print magazine business, they conversely demonstrate the inability of major publishers to cultivate and establish their most talented personnel in a marketplace hungering for accurate information. A big shame, and certainly not one that reflects on the individuals laid off today. Good luck, guys.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!