Backstage: Buried under an iPile
It was either Uncle Ben Parker from the Spider-Man movies or Steve Jobs who once said, “With great iPods, comes great responsibility.” And with the testing of two new fourth-generation iPods underway for the last few days, I’ve sure felt that way. The initial period after any new iPod’s release is the same way: spend several days doing hard core testing and barely enjoy using our new toys, and then, when the reviews are all done, settle back in a chair, relax, and just listen. For fun, even. There’s a temptation to slack on the reviews - or even not write two versions, because it takes so much more time - but I’m not going to do that. So the first of the two reviews will be up within the next few hours, and the second will follow thereafter. Thanks for all your comments and requests on what should be covered; I’ve been reading them all.
I’m glad the new iPods didn’t come out in August, as some were predicting. They turned out to be a nice early birthday present, if not quite the Swiss Army Knife Pods that would have dropped jaws worldwide. And they’re just in time for print magazines’ Holiday Buyers Guides, which are probably being written… well, this past Monday, knowing how slow the print world is.
Other items currently in the review queue: Speck’s new iPod mini Flipstand (good!) and mini Armband (good! - review finished and ready to go up), plus a new collection of photo-customizable leather cases from iLeath, which I’ve barely had time to look over.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?