Backstage: Buyers’ Guide celebration at Fogo de Chao?
It shouldn’t have been a major surprise, but we realized back in January that the otherwise culturally diverse Bay Area has been slow to pick up on a major culinary trend: the Churrascaria (a/k/a the all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse). You sit back at your table and relax as Gaucho waiters bring you choice slabs of meat, generally on skewers. At your request, the Gaucho cuts off slices or chunks of the meat, and at a good restaurant, the process repeats itself once every two or three minutes. For meat lovers, the experience is nothing short of awesome, and even vegetarians (the non-squeamish variety) can find incredible salad bars at most Churrascarias - asparagus as thick as a fat highlighter, roasted peppers, etcetera.
Because of the quality and quantity of food they offer, Brazilian steakhouses have made rapid gains in popularity across the United States, with Texas, Georgia, and Illinois scoring franchises of some of the more impressive international chains, such as Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil. New York has the reputably outstanding Churrascaria Plataforma, while South Africa has its own spin on the concept in the Carnivore restaurant. Until recently, Southern California has had more than a few places - Green Field Churrascaria does a pretty good job, and another place called Amazon around here isn’t too bad. San Francisco? Well, they have a tiny place called Espetus, but that barely counts.
All of this comes to mind because we now have a much better option: Fogo de Chao (pictured above) just opened in Beverly Hills, and since the Chicago location is one of my all-time favorite restaurants, I went up to Los Angeles for Fogo’s opening night last Thursday. It lived up to all of my expectations, and then some. So now, with the new Buyers’ Guide done, I’m thinking that a celebration at Fogo is in order. That’s assuming I can get anyone out of bed (or out of their various cities) to join me this week.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?