Backstage: Buyers’ Guide celebration at Fogo de Chao? | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: Buyers’ Guide celebration at Fogo de Chao?

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Monday, March 28, 2005
Backstage Categories:

pic It shouldn’t have been a major surprise, but we realized back in January that the otherwise culturally diverse Bay Area has been slow to pick up on a major culinary trend: the Churrascaria (a/k/a the all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse). You sit back at your table and relax as Gaucho waiters bring you choice slabs of meat, generally on skewers. At your request, the Gaucho cuts off slices or chunks of the meat, and at a good restaurant, the process repeats itself once every two or three minutes. For meat lovers, the experience is nothing short of awesome, and even vegetarians (the non-squeamish variety) can find incredible salad bars at most Churrascarias - asparagus as thick as a fat highlighter, roasted peppers, etcetera.

Because of the quality and quantity of food they offer, Brazilian steakhouses have made rapid gains in popularity across the United States, with Texas, Georgia, and Illinois scoring franchises of some of the more impressive international chains, such as Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil. New York has the reputably outstanding Churrascaria Plataforma, while South Africa has its own spin on the concept in the Carnivore restaurant. Until recently, Southern California has had more than a few places - Green Field Churrascaria does a pretty good job, and another place called Amazon around here isn’t too bad. San Francisco? Well, they have a tiny place called Espetus, but that barely counts.

All of this comes to mind because we now have a much better option: Fogo de Chao (pictured above) just opened in Beverly Hills, and since the Chicago location is one of my all-time favorite restaurants, I went up to Los Angeles for Fogo’s opening night last Thursday. It lived up to all of my expectations, and then some. So now, with the new Buyers’ Guide done, I’m thinking that a celebration at Fogo is in order. That’s assuming I can get anyone out of bed (or out of their various cities) to join me this week.

« Backstage: Obsessed with Beck’s Guero

Backstage: Good and bad news for Sony PSP owners »

Comments

Fogo de Chao is excellent. And considering what you get, it’s a bargain. It pained me to turn down offers of more filet mignon.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on March 28, 2005 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

If not for Fogo, I might never have known that I prefer the taste of Top Sirloin to Filet Mignon. But that’s a realization you only come to after having lots and lots of Filet. grin

The Beverly Hills Fogo is $50 a head at dinner, $38 or so at lunch - more than I recall for the same meals in Chicago. Which one(s) have you been to?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 28, 2005 at 8:41 PM (PDT)

So come on Jeremy - when is the GourmetLounge Eaters Guide 2005 coming out? :oD

I would love to be able to join you for what sounds like a gourmands idea of heaven - but that would be taking ‘popping out for a bite to eat’ to the extreme!!!

Posted by MadPict in UK on March 29, 2005 at 12:57 AM (PDT)

I’ve been to the Houston one; it was ~$40 for dinner before drinks/tip, and I think the other Texas locations are the same.

I guess it’s no real surprise they upped the price a bit for Beverly Hills. Even then, it’s a good deal. It’s a miracle they’re not charging $100.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on March 29, 2005 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

As an Brazilian Ipod Photo owner I noticed a portuguese phrase “fogo de chao” in the ipodlounge main page and guess what… I am from the land of “Churrascarias”, yes I am “Gaucho”. I live in Porto Alegre, a 2 million population city in the state of Rio Grande do Sul which is located in the south of Brazil near Uruguay.

And YES, I am in for FOGO, theres nothing better than a Brazilian Steak (Churrasco) made from “gauchos”. smile

a Hint, try out the Brazilian cut called “Picanha” .

This post might be “off topic”, anyway I just wanted to register that.

Posted by Seper in Brazil on March 29, 2005 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Speaking of Picanha, that is the name of an excellent churrascaria in Burbank. I was in LA with a group last year and we ate there.  Seriously some of the best beef I’ve even eaten. And don’t get me started on the little spicy sausages…

I still need to try the Houston Fogo de Chao.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on March 29, 2005 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

I highly recommend it. It wasn’t crowded on the week night last summer when I went.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on March 29, 2005 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

Madpict: The invitation remains open for you to join us. Though we’re going in an hour.

Matt: It’s hard to eat $50 worth of meat in a single seating. Now $40? Well, that’s another story.

Seper: That’s on topic. grin I am a big fan of Picanha. Every one of the restaurants serves the cut as the “authentic Brazilian cut of steak.” Very delicious. Fatty, but delicious.

Fangorn: I’ve been to that restaurant (Picanha) and as good as it is, it doesn’t compare with the likes of Fogo. I went there ~8 months ago in the hopes it would match Fogo, but it’s really small and the selection is limited. Give the new Fogo a try if you’re in the LA area.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 30, 2005 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Jeremy, if Fogo is that much better that Picanha it must be pretty spectacular indeed. Picanha was the first churrascaria experience for most of our group and we were all blown away.

I live in the Houston area, and there’s one here (on the other side of town, unfortunately). I must get up there…

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on March 30, 2005 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

Regrettably, Fogo was closed for lunch today, so we wound up at Green Field in the LBC instead. It was my second visit, and not as impressive as the first. Fogo walks all over it, but’s still better than Picanha. grin

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 30, 2005 at 10:16 PM (PDT)