Backstage: Elemental iPod | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: Elemental iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, July 14, 2004
Backstage Categories:

picpicAs Jeremy mentioned above, welcome to our backstage area! This space will provide you with a sense of who we are and what we do at iLounge and the lives we live.

What has four wheels and can plug an iPod into? It’s my new ‘04 Honda Element with a built-in auxiliary port to jack my iPod into the cars’ stereo system. It’s definitely the best thing about my new ‘RocketBox’. Rocket = my dog (the official iLounge mascot), Box = Element. For a six foot four guy, this thing is heaven sent - plenty of room and then some - Rocket (behind the seat) likes it as well. Oh, and that’s Ferris the Cat peeking around the wall.

pic

« Announcing Backstage.iLounge.com

Comments

I like your Honda Element.  It is so cool.

Posted by Jimw on July 14, 2004 at 9:46 PM (PDT)

What components did you use for that setup?  It looks very simple but very efficient.

I’m guessing the USB/Firewire combo cable, and mount,and some sort of firewire car adapter.

Any plans on showing us how?

Posted by Third on July 15, 2004 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

can you posts some higher resolution pictures…

Posted by steve on July 15, 2004 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

third_floor…

I’m using a SiK Imp cable, because it provides Audio Line Out and FireWire. I’m also using the SiK power adapter and a male to male mini jack (1/8”) stereo cable. You can find a mini jack cable at any Radio Shack or stereo accessory store. In this set-up I’m using SendStation’s mini jack cable included with their recently released Audio Line Out PocketDock. The iPod mount is from Pro-Clip.

You’re right, it’s a simple and effective solution, but I’d like to manage the wires better.

Check our Reviews page for reviews on the Imp cable and PocketDock adapter.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 15, 2004 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

a lot of wires…

Posted by alby on July 15, 2004 at 9:52 AM (PDT)

Sweet! And yay for Honda. It must cost, like, a whole $3 for a car manufacturer to add an audio-in jack to a car. I don’t understand why it’s not a much more common feature.

Posted by Travis Nep Smith on July 15, 2004 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

I agree with Travis.  ^

Posted by supercarrot900 on July 15, 2004 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

i agree as well, but think the cost is probably closer to 3cents :p

Posted by joshua on July 15, 2004 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

I think it would be great to be able to click on the “small” photos and kink to a larger, higher resolution one. Otherwize I love this whole site!

Posted by iTony on July 16, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

We have an element too, not only is it iPod friendly, it is tall people friendly, and dirty camper friendly, I’d definately recommend it!

Posted by emilady on July 22, 2004 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

Hi.  smile  I’m new at this, I just got my U2 IPOD in the mail today.  I have a Honda Element too!  smile

I am a bit confused on what I need to go buy.  I think I am understanding to get the cable, adaptor, & stereo cable - right?

But, what is the send station mini jackcable thing? do i need that…?

THANKS!!!!!!

Posted by LLoveCCats on November 19, 2004 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Does this website have all the stuff that you listed so I can see it?  THANKS!

http://www.everythingipod.com/drilldown88.tpl?command=search&db=dbs/products.db&cart=zoi110091840210947939&eqAVAILdatarq=YES&eqTYPE1datarq=For Your Car&searchTYPE1=For Your Car&PRONAMEsort=1&max=8

Posted by LLoveCCats on November 19, 2004 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

I prefer the setup on this page:
[url=http://www.hondaelement.org/]http://www.hondaelement.org/[/url]

This uses the Belkin power adapter that has a line out on the base of it. One less cable dangling along your dashboard.

Here’s a picture of what I’m talking about:
Belkin adapter

Posted by AirStash on December 3, 2004 at 9:42 PM (PDT)