Backstage:  Future Plans for the iPod 101 Series | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage:  Future Plans for the iPod 101 Series

By Jerrod H.

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Backstage Categories:

As you have likely noticed, I’ve restarted weekly progress on our elementary-level introduction series to iTunes and the iPod— iPod 101.  iPod 101 has thus far served as a guide to “Getting to Know iTunes’ Basic Features,” as we feel that using iTunes to it’s fullest is an essential part of enjoying the iPod/iTunes solution as a whole.

The series is going great.  Over the past few months, we’ve covered nearly all of the basic aspects of iTunes:  Importing CDs, Making Playlists (Manual & Smart), Burning CDs, Tagging Tracks and Adding Album Art, Printing CD Covers & Track Lists, and using Party Shuffle.  The response we’ve received from you all has been very positive, and we’re glad that our readers new to the iPod (and those looking for new tips) are enjoying the series.

Enough summary… I’ll get to the point.  Much like Jeremy has done below (help him, too!), I’d like to offer our preliminary plans for the future of the series to you, and hopefully get some feedback.

I have two more iPod 101 articles currently in the works:  Adding WMA files to your iTunes Library and the iPod (for PC users only), and a tour of the iTunes Music Store.  With the addition of these two articles, most newcomers will have experienced all of the essential components of what makes iTunes a fun one-stop-shop for digital music.  However, the series will not end here.

After iPod 101, I’ll be handing out diplomas (ok, only kidding) as we continue to iPod 201, which will deal with more advanced iPod & iTunes topics.  These will include (but not be limited to) items we see brought up in the forums frequently:

• Methods of iPod Synchronization (Auto, Selected Playlists, Manual)

• Relocating your iTunes Music Library

• Using the iPod’s PDA features

• Copying music from the iPod back to a computer

• ...

• AppleScripts?  eBooks?  Audible content? Help us make this series what you want it to be!

As the series will be rapidly growing, we also hope to create a more friendly index page dedicated to iPod 101/201.  It will be easily accessible to new readers, and easily to navigate through the series in order of increasing difficulty.

I’d like to now ask for your feedback on the series and suggestions for iPod 201 articles.

Thanks!

• « Backstage: Naming the next iPod

Backstage: In the queue and making plans »

Comments

I just want to say Good Job! I love your website. I check it everyday for update and to learn more about my ipod.

Posted by Art on August 25, 2004 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

Re 201 series, I’d like to see an article on eBooks on the iPod (ie how to increase the font size, it’s tiny!!) I’d like to use my ipod to read eBooks, but I’ll wait for the 201 series since the 101 series has explained everything so well.

Posted by smirf83 on August 25, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

Great Work,

201’s would be great, One thing that would be great to explain would be a expanation of all the 3rd party software, whats good and whats junk.

Posted by Justin on August 25, 2004 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

it would be cool to have an article on track tagging/organisation methodology.

Posted by rich on August 26, 2004 at 4:38 AM (PDT)

Maybe this is 401 level, but how about an description of the iPod file system?  Something that details both directory structure and system files.

Though it’s already available, a 301 level class on battery change.

Posted by redruM on August 26, 2004 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

First off, I love the site and check it often.  One thing that I havn’t been able to figure out is how to make iTunes burn a CD with cd-text.  I have a fancy-schmancy CD player in my car that displays cd-text when available.  It’s great when I use EasyCD creator, but iTunes is another story.  Anyone know how to get this to work?

Posted by benp78 on August 26, 2004 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Is there really a way to transfer your iPod songs to your iTunes library?  Also, can your next teaching explain how to get your iod back to manual when you changed it to automatic and you don’t want to sinc it to automatic and you made a mistake.  Now I am scared to plug in my iPod to itunes b/c i will lose all my songs

Posted by DanaTeach in Manhattan, NYC on August 27, 2004 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

The link you provided on the home page to the iPod 101 article on converting WAV files didn’t connect.  Could you provide it again?  Thanks.

Posted by Scott on June 12, 2005 at 9:01 PM (PDT)