Backstage: iPod, iTunes 4.7.1 problems on OS X?
A couple of weeks ago, we had our first report that something might be amiss with the newest iPod Software Updater and/or iTunes 4.7.1: a reader mentioned that his iPod shuffle had died after running the update, and he was able to return it to an Apple Store and get a replacement. Amongst other things, he noted that his computer would no longer recognize the shuffle no matter what he did.
Since then, we’ve seen other reports of similar problems - and been experiencing some of them ourselves. My own PowerMac G5 is now having serious problems recognizing any iPod I connect to the machine; sometimes the operating system sees one, other times it doesn’t, and most frequently iTunes refuses to recognize that any iPod is connected to my machine. The problems began when I connected an iPod shuffle and ran the Software Updater, but have become more widespread.
Now there is a significant chance that iTunes and/or other applications (notably iPhoto) will randomly lock up and become incapable of termination by either Force Quit or Terminal. When this happens, the Mac can’t be shut down or restarted without using the machine’s power switch, and in one case, all access to the Internet was locked out with the exception of instant messaging. Discussion threads on Apple’s web site confirm that other people are having similar problems. What about you? Any solutions?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015