Backstage: iPod, iTunes 4.7.1 problems on OS X? | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: iPod, iTunes 4.7.1 problems on OS X?

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Sunday, March 20, 2005
Backstage Categories:

A couple of weeks ago, we had our first report that something might be amiss with the newest iPod Software Updater and/or iTunes 4.7.1: a reader mentioned that his iPod shuffle had died after running the update, and he was able to return it to an Apple Store and get a replacement. Amongst other things, he noted that his computer would no longer recognize the shuffle no matter what he did.

Since then, we’ve seen other reports of similar problems - and been experiencing some of them ourselves. My own PowerMac G5 is now having serious problems recognizing any iPod I connect to the machine; sometimes the operating system sees one, other times it doesn’t, and most frequently iTunes refuses to recognize that any iPod is connected to my machine. The problems began when I connected an iPod shuffle and ran the Software Updater, but have become more widespread.

Now there is a significant chance that iTunes and/or other applications (notably iPhoto) will randomly lock up and become incapable of termination by either Force Quit or Terminal. When this happens, the Mac can’t be shut down or restarted without using the machine’s power switch, and in one case, all access to the Internet was locked out with the exception of instant messaging. Discussion threads on Apple’s web site confirm that other people are having similar problems. What about you? Any solutions?

« Backstage: Good and bad news for Sony PSP owners

Backstage: On pets, families, and group iPod listening »

Comments

Yeah, when I first got the Feb. 22 iPod update, and updated my shuffle to v1.1, it started acting up.  The shuffle would play about three songs, then quit.  When I then connected it to my PowerBook, the screen went black and said the computer needed to be restarted.  After restarting, the iPod wasn’t recognized by iTunes, so I had to reset it.  After re-adding music, the same thing happened again, twice.

Oddly enough, I haven’t had any problems since, nor have I ever had any issues with my 40GB 4G iPod.

Posted by crunkmaster on March 21, 2005 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

I had the exact same problems with my Powerbook G4 when trying to use my new 30gig iPod photo with the included USB cable. iTunes would lock up and I would have to reboot by holding down the power button. I went to the Apple store and they gave me a Firewire cable, which works fine.

If this is happening with the Shuffle, it looks like a serious problem with the USB connection.

Posted by OcellNuri on March 21, 2005 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

USB may be the problem. Maybe Apple updated their USB 2.0 drivers, creating this huge set of issues.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 21, 2005 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

Ugh, sounds bad. I just got my Shuffle a few days ago, and when I went to update it I discovered it already had 1.1 on it. So currently shipping Shuffles are up-to-date. No problems with it so far, but I’ve only hooked to the Mac Mini once - still working off my first load of tunes.

My 60GB Photo is connected via firewire and that has worked flawlessly ever since I got the Mini.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on March 22, 2005 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

iPodlounge’s Kirk McElhearn seems to have the correct solution to the problems:

* Download Apple’s 10.3.8 combo updater.
* Remove ipoddriver.kext from your System/Library/Extensions folder, put in trash.
* Install 10.3.8 even if you’ve installed before.
* Enjoy music again.

I’ve seen some reports that the combo installation alone will fix the problem for a few syncs, then it will happen again. Not entirely sure yet, but I’ve had 6 or so since trying this procedure, and it seems fine for now. Cannot begin to tally up the expense and frustration this caused before Kirk’s solution. Thanks Kirk!

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 24, 2005 at 12:33 AM (PDT)

I just purchased a 60gb & was slightly disappointed to find no firewire in the box.  I called the store and the rep admitted the USB may be slower than the firewire.  I called a tech friend and apparently the new USB 2.0 is faster than firewire? true? Sure wish I would have known that it didn’t come with the firewire because I could have picked one up while I was there, the nearest Apple store is 30 miles.
  It wasn’t responding yesterday for about 20-30 seconds and thought it was weird.  I immeadiatley thought of the USB….could be nothing until I saw the posts here…I may just buy the firewire and reformat and be done with USB.  Besides, what was wrong with the firewire in the first place?  I have only had it for 5 days…

Posted by frogman in philly on March 27, 2005 at 8:57 AM (PDT)