Backstage: iPod Photo initial impressions
Apple’s more than used to the haters by now - people who proclaim each of the company’s new products a likely flop based on price, or grouse about another company’s product that’s almost but not quite the same. But time and experience have given Apple another benefit: the opportunity to see their haters proved wrong. Often repeatedly.
Having played with the 60GB iPod Photo a bunch, it’s fair to say that the haters have at best a 30% chance of proving right on this one. Apple made at least three mistakes with the device - making its photo features less than intuitive to use in iTunes; seemingly requiring a potentially lengthy initial “optimizing” process for photos to be iPod-ready; and pricing it at a unfriendly $599.
But they’ve done at least as many things right. Very right. The iPod Photo’s new screen is wickedly beautiful, turning on quite unexpectedly with a vivid blue Apple logo (right) and using an interface that’s half iPod, half Mac OS X. (The familiar abstract sun/clock “processing” logo appears on the screen, and subtle grey touches with colorful non-interactive icons recall Apple’s Aqua interface.) Higher resolution, an even better white backlight, and the use of the Myriad font seriously improve the iPod’s look and feel - much more readable text can fit on screen, too, and long song titles now scroll in lists, not just when playing back.
Photos look very good on the screen, and are far more identifiable in thumbnail view than one would expect. TV playback of the photos is reasonably easy, too, though it could be even better, and users can create slideshows on the fly using the iPod’s interface. Keeping your photos and music synced with the iPod should be a real snap once the initial transfers of your libraries are done, too.
The only issue in my mind remains the one I identified in advance of the iPod Photo’s launch: do people really want to carry around their photo collections? Is that feature worth an extra $100 over the standard 4G iPod, absent the ability to transfer photos from a digital camera direct to the iPod?
There’s much more to say, and I’ll be saving much of it for our official review, but I like the iPod Photo a lot so far. It reminds me that Apple always has its eye on the future - one future, at least - even when the majority of its fans are very happy with what they already have.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?