Backstage: iPod shuffle Sport-cased and corded | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: iPod shuffle Sport-cased and corded

pic When we received reviewable samples of Richard Forbes’ SportRope lanyard replacement for the iPod shuffle last week, we puzzled briefly over both its utility and its pricing. Then Forbes dropped the price from $18 to $9.95, and Marware delivered the iPod shuffle’s first third-party case, Sport Grip, for our perusal. Suddenly, the SportRope began to make more sense.

SportRopes come in eight colors, and we’ve seen a bunch of them. Initially, the part that didn’t make sense was that you’d actually have to destroy the shuffle’s packed-in lanyard in order to use the SportRope - pull it apart at the white plastic cap where its two ends are glued together. That wasn’t going to fly. But when Marware’s Sport Grip showed up with a keychain ring attached to its rubberized end hole… which was just the right size for the SportRope… we had one of those Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups moments. And yeah, the two items look pretty cool together. Forbes’ lanyard has a nice metal clasp that works perfectly with the case, once the keychain ring’s been detached. (Click on Read More for a larger photo.)

Though we have no reason to think that the companies are working together to produce mix-and-match sets, I personally think that selling packs or individuals of these cords and cases with different possible color matches would be a great idea. The only question: does anyone really care about iPod lanyards? Two of iLounge’s editors think not. I’m on the opposite side on this one, and dig lanyards - only for the shuffle. What do you think? Would/do you wear your shuffle this way?

Click here for more photos of the iPod shuffle + Sport Grip case.

pic

« Backstage: The iPod family, cheaper, but fewer pack-ins

Backstage: Sonos Digital Music System, reviewed (updated) »

Comments

ok first off. Its all about the lanyard. When i first got my shuffle i carried it around. The lanyard was still in the box. I didn’t want to look stupid with it hanging off of me. Then i came home one night and needed to do some things around the house. So i pulle the lanyard out of the box and tried it out. 30 mins later i came to the realization that the iPod Shuffle is short of nothing without this lanyard. It MAKES the shuffle. The shuffle is light enough that you can’t feel it around your neck. Having it around yoru neck keeps it out of the way, your controls are right in the middle of your chest, and its one less thing in your pockets.

I was able to do what i needed around the house all night without EVER stopping my music, i was always listening. A couple hours of podcasts here, some music there, got to the bathrooom, put up this picture here, check my news on my Mac, take out the trash, next song… It fit perfectly into my night. I was hooked after that. The utility alone is worth wearing the shuffle.

Posted by seven5 in richmond on February 21, 2005 at 7:24 PM (CST)

shame about the USB port being completely inaccessible…

and about lanyards, nice idea, “let it all hang out”, but an easy way to get mugged, or have it snatched. not like apple’s normal ipod case protects much better though…

cya,
-Pete-

Posted by peterburk in Geneva, Switzerland on February 21, 2005 at 11:20 PM (CST)

The lanyard rules. No way am I walking around, especially at work or in the street, with wires hanging around and/or running to an outside pocket. People who wear their wires like that look not only vulnerable to muggers but messy. Your writers obviously aren’t women (lets hope they talk to some) - most womens clothes are designed without any pockets, let alone inside pockets.

Posted by Josie in UK on February 22, 2005 at 6:32 AM (CST)

I cannot stand the Lanyard!
It turns the shuffle into bling and when you are weightlifting and running around its easier to have it clipped to your waist!
PLEASE MAKE A BELT CLIP FOR IT!

Posted by JoeyJo in New York on February 22, 2005 at 3:39 PM (CST)

I definitely use the lanyard.  As seven5 said, it really does “make the shuffle.”

Posted by mcwvt in Columbia, SC on February 22, 2005 at 5:28 PM (CST)

I don’t have a shuffle, but this looks so innately useful I can’t believe you whiners!

Yeah you have to pop out one end to use it,  it looks like the cap can stay in and you stretch it out to pop the end out of the cap, and it’s still on, and keeps your cap from getting lost. That’s handy! the cap in one end and the shuffle in the other and half popped out so you can pug it in.

Jesus. You want ultimate protection but for it to be hermitically sealed in a bubble wrap case and a force field to protect the USS Enterprise. You can’t have both. You have to take it out of ANY case to plug it in with the usb plug in the end.

I’m a case whore as much as anyone on this site, but come on.

Posted by jen segrest in Cincinnati on February 23, 2005 at 3:35 AM (CST)

As a user of the SportRope, I swear by it. The original makes a great candle wick or emergency shoelace. For running or working, I tuck the device under my shirt. You do not see anything but the headphone wires. The original lanyard is cheap and ugly. SportRope makes it all good again.

Posted by danacondaman on February 28, 2005 at 11:54 AM (CST)

For jogging or for use in the car, I use the SportRope. I have an Alpine deck with rca inputs in the back. I have the rca to headphone cable run from the back of the deck to front and out the change tray. I get in the car, pop the Shuffle from the SportRope and plug it in. When I park, I just pull out the headphone cable and put it back into the USB cover. I am suprised that anyone needs a clip. When I run, I just put it under my shirt. No probs yet. The original lanyard was ruff on the short hairs of the nape! Go SportRope!

Posted by danacondaman on March 4, 2005 at 12:17 PM (CST)