Backstage: Mac mini Tower - the New Hotness
Published: Thursday, February 17, 2005
If a “gimme” were to be defined in the dictionary outside of its golfing connotation, it would be an invention so smart, yet so natural, that the first person to sell it would almost certainly make a million dollars. Plasticsmith’s new Mini Tower ($39.95) is a gimme: a clear acrylic Mac mini enclosure made for all 100 million people who lusted after Apple’s G4 Cube computer back in 2000, but were deterred by the price.
For a pittance, the Mini Tower makes the inexpensive Mac mini look plenty like the Cube, suspending it vertically above the surface of a table and turning its top and bottom Apple icons into left and right sides. The mini’s top surface is obviously nicer looking than the bottom, but neither is unattractive, and the acrylic adds a ton of gloss and class to the already beautiful Apple case. Four rubber feet hold the Mini Tower still and prevent its polished bottom from being scratched.
If the Mini Tower is any indication, Mac mini accessories are going to be incredibly cool. We’ve placed a bunch of additional shots of this little beauty in the Read More link below. And it looks even better in person.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple appoints Beats Music chief to head up iTunes Radio
- Facebook promises monthly iOS app updates
- iLounge Game Spotlight: 80 Days
- Typo iPhone keyboard returns, updated, as Typo 2
- Apple posts official Beats welcome announcement
- Report: Vivendi SA sold its Beats stake for $404 million
- Apple content delivery network for faster downloads now live in US, Europe
- Apps of the Week: NPR One, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Interactive Alphabet 4.0 + more
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Tylt Energi 2K Smart Travel Charger
- Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad Air
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks