Backstage: Microsoft’s big, quiet music plans?
Is it plausible? If it was coming from someone we didn’t know, we would have a harder time believing it. But a well-connected iLounge reader reports that a huge order - in the millions “per month” - has just been placed by Microsoft with a leading Chinese manufacturer of headphones.
Given Microsoft’s varied business ventures, the order could conceivably be for anything from Xbox 360 accessories to pack-ins for a new MP3 player - or both, as we’d heard separate and not entirely accurate rumblings about months ago. But the reality is that the company sells very few hardware products under its own name, and far fewer still that would demand millions of headphones per month. We’d doubt, for example, that it expects to sell multiple millions of the optional Xbox 360 Headset for online gaming right away. But perhaps it does.
Or perhaps Microsoft’s making plans for a bigger push into the digital music market? As Engadget noted yesterday, the company’s apparently looking into sneaky ways to endgame the iTunes Music Store with Windows Media-compatible audio files. Of course, for that plan to work, it would help if millions of people actually owned devices compatible with Windows Media songs. A Microsoft-branded product might be easier for the company to control and sell than the jumble of disparate “Plays For Sure” offerings everyone else is offering right now. What do you think?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!