Backstage: Microsoft’s Longhorn and the iPod
I’ve been busy with more important things this past week, but I couldn’t help but comment briefly on the latest oafish proclamation from Microsoft, the promise of a new feature in their Longhorn (Windows 2006) operating system that will - in their words - keep iPods from stealing data from PCs or unleashing virus attacks on business networks. (Edit: Alternate link for story. Search for “Microsoft claims”.)
“Wait a second,” you’re saying, “no one really uses iPods to steal data from PCs or unleash virus attacks. That’s just insane.” And of course, you’re correct. The average PC virus gets sent through e-mail, fits on a floppy disk (say nothing of a CD-R), and by no means needs an iPod for any stage of its transmission. Plus, everyone knows it would be a hell of a lot easier to attack or steal from the average PC with a non-iPod portable device (say, a USB key) that installs its own PC drivers. Each of these facts will be just as true in 2006, assuming nothing changes and we’re not all driving flying cars and eating Soylent Green by then. So why, then, would Microsoft say it’s securing its new operating system against Attack By iPod?
It’s obvious - to (a) smear the iPod’s good name while (b) providing a convenient excuse to make another Windows OS that rejects or screws with competitors’ products and (c) distracting people from discussing the huge virus problems that already plague Windows machines. Since Microsoft can’t stop people from infecting PCs with virus-laden e-mails (attacks that come 40 times a day) or stealing data through the Internet (which doesn’t even require that someone sneak up and attach an iPod to your computer), they’ll just invent a problem that they can solve. Attacking the iPod is surely a lot easier than actually coming up with a worthwhile iPod competitor, right? This, from the company that took 2 years to come up with a mouse with a built-in neon light. Ugh.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?