Backstage: Motorola’s V3x, a smarter iTunes phone design?
If we were betting, notes Larry, we would put a lot of money on this - the new Motorola RAZR V3x - to be one of the iPod/iTunes phones. Why? Other than one fact, it just makes sense.
Start with the core iPod-ready feature set: the great RAZR phone body most people dig, combined with what looks to be white glossy plastic and the latest in Motorola technology. There’s support for TransFlash/MicroSD memory cards (512MB - just enough for 100 iPod songs), wireless stereo Bluetooth sound (which in a perfect world would mean compatibility with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, conveniently supported in new Macs), and playback of AAC+ and MP3 audio files.
Then there’s the other, non-iPod stuff people would want from a next-generation phone - a 2 megapixel camera, 3D gaming, realtime two-way video conferencing, MPEG4/movie/media support, and simple web browsing. It just all seems “right,” especially considering the oddball appearance of a RAZR-esque icon in iTunes 4.9 mentioned on the site some time ago.
The one fact that wouldn’t make sense, of course, is that there’s a photo and announcement of the phone on Motorola’s site already, and no announcement from Apple. If this was an iTunes phone, particularly a premium one, we’d have expected the cat to remain in the bag until… well, a week or day before the “expected to be available in Q4 2005” date. Larry’s guess: contrary to all the rumors out there, Apple is going to hold off on doing an iTunes phone until after the fifth-generation iPod launch, and then do this, because it’s “right.” Then all Motorola phones released thereafter will be iTunes-ready. Quite a guess, but here’s hoping. It would be a hell of a lot better than launching that atrocious Xbox phone. We’ll obviously have to just wait and see.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?