Backstage: Motorola’s V3x, a smarter iTunes phone design?
If we were betting, notes Larry, we would put a lot of money on this - the new Motorola RAZR V3x - to be one of the iPod/iTunes phones. Why? Other than one fact, it just makes sense.
Start with the core iPod-ready feature set: the great RAZR phone body most people dig, combined with what looks to be white glossy plastic and the latest in Motorola technology. There’s support for TransFlash/MicroSD memory cards (512MB - just enough for 100 iPod songs), wireless stereo Bluetooth sound (which in a perfect world would mean compatibility with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, conveniently supported in new Macs), and playback of AAC+ and MP3 audio files.
Then there’s the other, non-iPod stuff people would want from a next-generation phone - a 2 megapixel camera, 3D gaming, realtime two-way video conferencing, MPEG4/movie/media support, and simple web browsing. It just all seems “right,” especially considering the oddball appearance of a RAZR-esque icon in iTunes 4.9 mentioned on the site some time ago.
The one fact that wouldn’t make sense, of course, is that there’s a photo and announcement of the phone on Motorola’s site already, and no announcement from Apple. If this was an iTunes phone, particularly a premium one, we’d have expected the cat to remain in the bag until… well, a week or day before the “expected to be available in Q4 2005” date. Larry’s guess: contrary to all the rumors out there, Apple is going to hold off on doing an iTunes phone until after the fifth-generation iPod launch, and then do this, because it’s “right.” Then all Motorola phones released thereafter will be iTunes-ready. Quite a guess, but here’s hoping. It would be a hell of a lot better than launching that atrocious Xbox phone. We’ll obviously have to just wait and see.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!