Backstage: Nyko “gets it,” and we’re relieved
There are bad things in some of the boxes that arrive at iLounge for testing. In fact, there are days when we feel absolutely certain that someone has a list of all of the things that could be branded with an “i” and scotch-taped to an iPod, and is only crossing off the ones that would cost more than $30 to manufacture.
Nyko could easily have fallen into that trap. It’s a video game accessory maker with a good development track record, but then, there are quite a few PDA accessory makers that have tried but failed to deliver anything of consequence for the iPod. Typically, that’s because they’ve released PDA-style accessories for a device that’s not a PDA. They’re different markets, different products, and different consumers.
Thankfully, someone (or a few people) at Nyko decided not to release gamers’ peripherals for the iPod. Instead, the company took the less traveled road, actually thinking about what iPod consumers might want and not already have. The results: cheap items like a Dock Connector-to-stereo RCA cable (the Stereo Link, sold for under $20 from a number of retailers) for one-stop iPod-to-stereo connections, and high-end accessories like an iPod video screen attachment (the Movie Player, approx. $249, coming later this year). There are a few really cool ideas in-between, as well.
The other key part is packaging. Most people hate to admit that they buy things because of the way they look, but the iPod’s changing that perception, and only a few accessory makers have figured that out. Again, Nyko could have gone in the video game direction - wacky colors, plastics, and so on. But it came up with its own riff on Apple’s style: Nyko accessories are made and packaged so as not to turn off younger or older buyers, and it’s not merely cloning Apple, Belkin, or Griffin efforts, either. There’s more transparent plastic, hints of color, and at least one “wow, that was smart” idea per accessory.
We’re glad that Nyko “gets it,” and we think that you are going to like a lot of what the company has to offer. For a larger photographic sample of what they’re up to, click on Read More below.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: CBS to announce standalone Showtime service for Apple TV
- Cook delivers fiery speech on privacy, encryption
- Apple issues recall of Beats Pill XL speaker
- Apple confirms Apple TV to act as HomeKit hub
- Apple TV adds NatGeo TV channel
- Insteon’s HomeKit-enabled Hub now available
- Apple’s subscription TV service won’t be announced at WWDC next week
- WSJ: New Apple music service to debut at WWDC
- Updated Apple document claims Apple Watch won’t measure heart rate while in motion
- Report: Apple pursuing Drake for iTunes Radio guest DJ
- RooCase Esteem for iPhone 6
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?