Backstage: Obsessed with Beck’s Guero | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: Obsessed with Beck’s Guero

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, March 29, 2005
Backstage Categories:

pic I’ve steadfastly refused to use iLounge/Backstage as a music soapbox in the past, but I’m making an exception for Beck’s Guero. This isn’t the cover of the Deluxe Edition version I have here, but I daresay that the album in the photo represents the best way any music lover could spend $9.99 (the standard CD’s price at Best Buy) right now. Yes, that’s $9.99, the price of an iTunes album download, for a real CD with real CD-quality tracks.

While I admire his musical talent to the nth degree, Beck has been on-and-off for me for years. Midnite Vultures? On. Mutations and Sea Change? Off. Odelay? On. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack? On in a huge way. From my perspective, the guy’s best work has been in collaboration with the Dust Brothers (they, of Fight Club soundtrack fame, amongst many other more impressive feats), and now Guero repeats/enhances that track record. Que Ondo Guero is my favorite, but virtually every track on the disc is excellent, and worthy of the high-bitrate encoding I gave it for iPod listening.

The Deluxe Edition ($19.99 at Best Buy) includes a DVD with surround sound 5.1 mixes and videos. Worth getting? For me, yes. For you? Depends on the hi-fi equipment you have. I’d discuss it more, but I have an album that I need to listen to a few more times. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

« Backstage: Yes, the new iPod photo -is- different

Backstage: Buyers’ Guide celebration at Fogo de Chao? »

Comments

Don’t forget “Girl”. That song struck me big time, and I can’t stop listening to it!

Posted by seven5 in richmond on March 29, 2005 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

Mutations and Sea Change are both excellent albums, just not for the reasons that most people think of Beck’s albums as being excellent.

I haven’t made up my mind about the new album yet. I’d been listening to the leaked version and found it a bit flat, but midway through my listen to the release version, I’m liking it better.

We’ll see.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on March 29, 2005 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

I listened to the studio leak a few weeks ago, and quite liked it. I was even more impressed with the retail version, and it’s been on heavy rotation both at home and on my iPod since it’s been out.

Mutations is probably my favorite Beck album, though, because it not only showcases the odd lyrics and definition-defying music, but gives an idea of the many different styles he’s capable of playing, and pulling off well. Sea Change was good, but it was lacking a bit of the upbeat quirkiness that in my mind makes Beck…well, Beck.

Posted by Evil Timmy in Hong Kong on March 29, 2005 at 10:56 PM (PDT)

I’d been waiting for this release ever since the “Hell Yes EP” was released on iTunes.
The Guero album rocks!
I LOVE IT!
I’m a little surprised people are commenting on the LEAKED studio version.  If you’re going to STEAL it early - don’t knock it when it’s not supposed to be ready for listening anyway.

Posted by mbstuart.com in western NY on March 30, 2005 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

I especially like the more western feel. Now I want to get more beck. which cd’s do you suggest?

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on March 30, 2005 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

I love beck- i wish he would stray myway-seriously, he is fun and intense yet if you listen carefully a sense of frailty shows itself- actually the most impressed I have been is with sea change, his writing and composition is rarely surpassed in the music industry.I think i have listened to that album probably 100 times, needless to say i am thrilled a new one is out!

Posted by markflorida in florida on April 2, 2005 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

Posted by markflorida in florida on April 2, 2005 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

I like that he’s getting back to the Odelay type sound.  Sea Change and Midnight Vultures are great in their own way, but Odelay defined what Beck is all about.

Posted by mattydread in NY on April 2, 2005 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Beck rules. I absolutely love the new album (I, too, bought the deluxe version). The songs Girl, Guero, Hell Yes, Broken Drum, and Farewell Ride are my favorites, but the whole album rocks. In fact, all of his albums are excellent. I really love that there is variety in his sound, instead of the same sound over and over again.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on April 9, 2005 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Only with this album have I ever heard of Beck *blush* I love Hell Yes, and Black Tamberine ever so much!

I find now I’m interested to check his older stuff as well (any suggestions on older songs, PM me!).

I’ve already purchased 4 songs from ITMS from Guero.  Even so, if I can find the actual CD for 9.99 I will buy it and have my first experience ‘ripping’ songs at MP3 256bit (which I assume is better sound quality than iTunes files?).  Hmm aren’t iTunes files cd-quality?  smilesmile

Posted by Jing in USA/Singapore on April 11, 2005 at 11:24 AM (PDT)