Backstage: On iLounge’s logo - your thoughts? | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: On iLounge’s logo - your thoughts?

picSo Dennis and I have gone back and forth on this for the better part of the last year: keep iLounge’s logo the same, or change it?

Dennis wants outside opinions, and I think that’s a good idea. These two samples are just mock-ups.

pic If you like one of them, or both of them, better than the current logo, please just take a moment to say so in the Comments thread here. If you think the current logo is better, please say that, too.

As always, your input is very much appreciated.

« Backstage: A growing family of iPods, conceptually

Backstage: Your next pair of iPod earphones is… »

Comments

I doubt that I count as “outside opinion,” but I think I do prefer the current logo.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 15, 2004 at 7:12 PM (CST)

The circular one makes it more apparent that you’re supposed to be seeing an iPod. It’s a clever idea, but like literal interpretation of the site name in the classic logo—just update it for the 4G iPod. Maybe you coudl do something else with the new one, though…

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on November 15, 2004 at 7:15 PM (CST)

The old one is an iPod on a lounge. Makes sense.

The two new ones are just iPodesque—nothing lounge about them at all.

Posted by Xenex in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia on November 15, 2004 at 7:24 PM (CST)

The top one looks too much like Pac-Man. I really dig the bottom one. I’m all for a new logo no matter what it is. Don’t get me wrong, I really love the current one, but I always thought of iPodlounge as “The iPod Lounge” (as in a bar/night club type place—not a lazy iPod).

Posted by Larry Angell on November 15, 2004 at 7:26 PM (CST)

the circle is cool, but i tried makin one , email me for it

Posted by Daniel Ensign on November 15, 2004 at 7:26 PM (CST)

neither of the new ones is as good as the old… if it is time for a change, dont use those

Posted by 1000 Monkeys in PA on November 15, 2004 at 9:42 PM (CST)

The old one’s best.  Nice retro feel.

Posted by Sharik on November 15, 2004 at 10:29 PM (CST)

Of the three options, i’d stick with the current logo.  The two new options just don’t appear as iPod or loungey to me; too abstract.  it took me a good 5+ minutes to realize that it’s the tip of an iPod inset into an orange shape.

Posted by Blur in Toronto, ON on November 15, 2004 at 11:10 PM (CST)

Keep the “Shag” lounge logo, it’s a perfect representation of your site.  It’s very cool.  I’m biased though,  I’m a lounge and electronic music lover and a big Shag fan so….. there’s my bias.  I will miss it if you change it :(

Posted by daveNLA on November 15, 2004 at 11:48 PM (CST)

I would respond more fully but I don’t want to bias the results. So a follow-up question for those who prefer the current logo to the alternatives: do you affirmatively like the current logo, “don’t mind” it, or simply dislike the alternatives presented?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 16, 2004 at 4:10 AM (CST)

I like the current one. but maybe you should give it an iTowel and possibly a iMartini, just to complete the look.

(You sure you want outside opinions?)

Posted by Capnquirky in Shell Pile New Jersey on November 16, 2004 at 5:05 AM (CST)

I like the current logo better. The literal depiction is nice. The two new ideas aren’t clear enough- the Pac-Man comment being a great example of that.

Posted by MikeM on November 16, 2004 at 7:24 AM (CST)

I affirmatively like the current logo.  I am a new member so it does not hold nostalgic sentiments for me, it just is a more attractive logo and depicts the title of the site more accurately. IMHO

Posted by HoosierMatt on November 16, 2004 at 7:59 AM (CST)

I like the current logo as well

Posted by Brocktune in United States on November 16, 2004 at 8:05 AM (CST)

You don’t have to be so literal when working with logos. When you do, you can only get one layer of meaning out of it. On the other hand, the Web is not about subtlety. “Just do it” doesn’t work on the Web. “A shoe company” does. Anyway, for the two logo sketches, there is a way to get “lounge” if you flip the orange part on the second logo version 90 degrees counterclockwise, making it a reclining “L” for “lounge.” Then allow the inside of the L to be the lefthand side and bottom of an iPod (so curve the inside corner of the L as the bottom left corner of an iPod is curved) and place the screen at the top of the L just to the right but still inside the letter (curve the very top right of the L towards the top of the iPod so that the iPod is more defined; do this to the other end of the L as well, and you’ll get a groovy ‘60s sort of L and you will have defined all four sides of the iPod). Curve the outside corner of the L to justify the angle, and Bob’s yer uncle.

Posted by Jeff Halmos in Toronto on November 16, 2004 at 8:32 AM (CST)

I would say to keep the spirit of the current logo, but maybe update it. I still say put a 4G ‘pod in there.

I hope the new logos find a home, though. Maybe they’d be good incorporated in the layout, as nav elements of some sort. Don’t know, exactly, just hate to see such a nifty logo go to waste.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on November 16, 2004 at 8:52 AM (CST)

I’m a new member who’s been reading the site for about 15-18 months.

I’m not very fond of the current logo, but I like it better than either of the alternatives presented here.

Keep trying.  :-)

Posted by tpmn on November 16, 2004 at 9:36 AM (CST)

I like the old one better than the two new examples, but I do feel the old logo could use an update.
Here is just another option I threw together.  It’s not great - but it offers an alternative to trigger new ideas.
thanks.

Posted by mbstuart.com in western NY on November 16, 2004 at 9:55 AM (CST)

<3 the current one.

Posted by enjoilax on November 16, 2004 at 12:32 PM (CST)

I like the current logo the best.  I think the lounge chair with the iPod goes very well with the name of the site - iPodlounge.com.

Posted by honeybee1236 on November 16, 2004 at 12:47 PM (CST)

Perhaps you could use both the current and the round one. The current one when you have enough real estate for it and the round one for branding where space is tight. I agree with others that the round one makes it easier to identify the pod.

I think ipodlounge is a fairly recongnized “brand” so a switch shouldn’t be taken lightly. I see the problem, though as it’s getting harder and harder to show an image that represents ALL iPods.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on November 16, 2004 at 2:16 PM (CST)

To answer Jeremy’s secondary question, I like the current logo (not just preferring it over the alternative).  That’s not to say I’m against a change - particularly if you have a site remake in the works - but not changing it for the sake of changing it.

Why not open this up into an all out iPodlounge New Logo contest?  Creativity is so easily sparked at the prospect of free iPod accessories. ;-)

Posted by Blur in Toronto, ON on November 16, 2004 at 4:32 PM (CST)

The old one is the best…

Maybe just add some spice to the old one… A bit of 3d action possibly?

Contest does spark the creativity best!

-Maybe giveaway some of those speakers?  Bose might i Suggest? ;)

Posted by Mijman2 on November 16, 2004 at 8:00 PM (CST)

Simplicity in design is always an efficient manner when your audience is fully aware of product and service offering. Seeing as everyone in the world (thanks to photos uploaded to this site) knows what an iPod is and does, it wouldn’t be a neccessity to draw an iPod into your logo. This site has grown a great recognition as one of the best iPod related sources and to visitors I can gladly agree on their end that there would be no confusion to what the focus of this site has to offer and is offering!

That being said, I was urged to create and play my part to one of my favorite sites. I have incorporated the feel of the existing logo into a wordmark. Only one problem…who do I submit my ideas to and let them know that if they like it, they can have it for a trade for those Sony MDR-EX81 headphones?

Posted by Mavado in Toronto, CAN on November 17, 2004 at 12:34 AM (CST)

I like the current one ... but I can cope with change! I can, I swear!

It wasn’t until I read that users post that I realised that it was an iPod inset into a orange circle.

Whatever you do, don’t lose the orange, or go with a generation design, just an iPod in general

Posted by Snowy in Australia on November 17, 2004 at 2:11 AM (CST)

I think the current logo should remain being used.  It carries the iPodlounge idea much better than the two others proposed.

Posted by Lindan in Las Vegas on November 17, 2004 at 12:21 PM (CST)

Which intensity of like?

I LOVE the shagpod logo, I’d hate to see it go - but am open for more developed ideas other than the ones presented, which both to me shout out “something is missing” - not interesting enough

Posted by ginalee on November 17, 2004 at 12:31 PM (CST)

I too prefer the current logo.  Although the new alternatives are good, I don’t think they really capture the iPod and lounge concept.  Maybe they can be used elsewhere, as variations, but I’d say keep the current (or something similar) up on the front page.

Posted by d.w.chin in U.S. on November 19, 2004 at 1:18 AM (CST)

I like the current logo, and I don’t agree with the ideas above to update the iPod so it’s 4G—this carries the implication that the logo needs to keep changing everytime Apple tinkers with the click-wheel in a new gen (which atm there’s no reason to think they’ll stop doing).  The current logo has a basic outline of an object recognizable as an iPod; that’s fully sufficient.

Posted by nyorker on November 19, 2004 at 10:06 AM (CST)

current logo all the way.  it portrays the lounging ipod.  very much symbolizes iPodlounge.  thats what we all do here.  we get our ipods, and we lounge.

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on November 19, 2004 at 6:37 PM (CST)

I don’t mind the abstract L—and the colors provide consistency with the old. The existing logo is OK but a little cutesy for my taste.

But the logo is effective in showing visually what it stands for: an iPod and a Lounge! That’s pretty important, and the new designs don’t do that.

So if you DO change the logo, I suggest going in some different direction. A visual reference to the iPod is pretty important, I think. Lounge isn’t AS important, but maybe a new visual metaphor could be found for that too, if the graphic stays clean and simple.

Of the choices I’ve seen, I prefer the current one. And this site has some brand recognition that isn’t to be tossed aside lightly!

As for WHICH iPod, I think a very generic one—like we have now—is good. It could be a 1G, it could be a 4G, and it’s not unlike the Apple ads either. It could even be simpler—a circle with no center button visible—but I wouldn’t make it any MORE specific. A screen and a wheel are enough to say “iPod.” (Along with being white.)

Just sticking my oar in :)

Posted by Nagromme on November 23, 2004 at 1:11 PM (CST)

I affirmatively like the current logo, keep it as it is.

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on December 5, 2004 at 2:22 AM (CST)

I also like the old logo better. I agree that it could be updated, but I don’t care for the two proposed designs. As others have said, the round one looks like Pac-Man eating a dot and the square one simply looks like a square inset inside another square. If you don’t know an iPod is supposed to be there, one would never recognize it as being iPod related.

Posted by Shadow on December 6, 2004 at 8:54 AM (CST)

The old logo is nice, these new ones are alright.

I was wondering, would you be interested in people making designs of their own for iPodlounge logos, and you can see which you like or something like that? because I was thinking of trying making one for you.

Posted by Dark Blaze in World Wide Web on December 6, 2004 at 11:22 AM (CST)

The old one rocks my socks!  Keep it because it seems so much more…..iPodloungish.  Is that a word?

Posted by jpod999 in california on December 23, 2004 at 5:30 PM (CST)

The new ones have no personality.
I think personality should be considered. It’s about people and their ideas and fascinations.

Also, help me out. What in the heck is the black shape in Apple’s Podcast logo? It’s not an iPod. It’s more like a remote control. What is it?

Posted by Stuart on June 29, 2005 at 12:03 PM (CDT)