Backstage: On pets, families, and group iPod listening | iLounge Backstage

Backstage

Backstage: On pets, families, and group iPod listening

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Backstage Categories:

pic While we spend a lot of time on Backstage discussing tech stuff, I do like to occasionally share a bit about myself outside the iPod world. After all, I mightn’t have brought the puppy here home if it wasn’t for some insightful comments on the subject from iLounge’s Bob that started in this very Backstage area back half a year or so ago. So if you want to skip this entry, feel free, but it’s a shout out to all the great friends I’ve made here at iLounge, and a reflection of how things have changed in my iPod and home life over that period of time.

Frequent Backstage readers already know that the dog here is Innisfree Daiginjo Sake (Sake, posed in shot two with his namesake), my nine-month old Siberian Husky, and they may also know that Dennis has his own dog (and iLounge mascot) Rocket, a really cool Labrador Retriever. What sort of surprised me is that most of iLounge’s editors are dog owners, too. Larry has Chewie, Bob has Briadha, and so on. They also have cats, but I pretend not to care or remember their names (Ferris, Meadow, and Weeble respectively), even though I more than occasionally think it would be cool for Sake to have a feline companion, if only for a snack. And all of us have families, or at least live-in significant others. None of us lives in a single iPod house, or listens to our music in solitude.

pic So why do I bother to blog occasionally on pets? Since the beginning, iLounge has realized that there’s more to life than just the technology side of iPods - they’re really enablers for a relaxed lifestyle. Coming from a background where I was highly familiar with “typical” technology journalists, I knew something was different about Dennis’ perspective from the first time I met him - having created iLounge from nothing, he was a legitimately relaxed guy and cared as much about the time he spent lounging as the time he spent iPodding. Some of that attitude is reflected in iLounge’s unique independence and its editorial focus, a point I’ll expand upon in a later entry.

Dennis’ attitude made it easier to realize that relaxation is bigger than just putting headphones on and tuning yourself out from the world (though that’s nice sometimes). Some of the most exciting stuff happening right now in the iPod world is public, not private, what spontaneously occurs when iPod lovers get together: strangers swapping earphones, people joining for iPod parties, and so on - or when they make digital music a soundtrack for their daily lives. That these things happen suggests that there’s more to the iPod phenomenon than just a passion for the iPod. It’s a passion for removing boring silence from life and sharing your musical preferences and discoveries with others.

I’m personally doing a lot more iPod listening through speakers than through headphones these days, and spending a lot more time listening with another person - or a puppy - in the room. What about you? Has your use of your iPod evolved over time? Are you more of a solo listener, or do you share? And do you want to share a picture of your pet with the iLounge community? grin

« Backstage: iPod, iTunes 4.7.1 problems on OS X?

Backstage: Finally, a good Sony PSP case! »

Comments

your dogs are gorgeous.

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on March 16, 2005 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

your dogs are indeed gorgeous.
I’m a solo listener….though, my iPod keeps my music tastes refreshed from time to time. Which helps a grat deal to show other people musicians/bands they may not have heard of, and of course, this also influences me in the fact that I myself am a musician, and everythign i’m inspired by comes from all around of course, but 60% through music, which is what my iPod is used for. So i don’t so much share my iPod, as the influence my iPod gives me through live performances. I would love to share a picture of my pet dog, lewis (the name isnt as exotic, but hes a damn cool dog, lol). how do i do this?(forum?)
Dan x

Posted by Spooky2k in barry, wales on March 16, 2005 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

Thank you… grin You can just post a link here to the place where you host the picture online.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 16, 2005 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

I work at a small advertising firm in Puerto Rico as graphic designer. There are two of us here (graphic designers, I mean) sharing an office and our boss lets us play music through speakers (pretty loudly). It makes work more enjoyable and we spend a lot of time singing while we work. iPods/iTunes and Playlists are an important part of what makes our weekdays go by quickly and smoothly. Yesterday we tried my new 1GB shuffle and it hit the right sounds throughout the day (after a call from a demanding client stressed me out, the shuffle healed my wounds with The Cure’s ‘Mint Car’).

Posted by Alfredo in Puerto Rico on March 17, 2005 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

ok, heres the pic of my dog, his name is Lewis and he’s a cross between a labrador and…another type of dog i forget the name of,lol, bu tu can see it in him when u see him anyway:

1st pic (a lil dark)

2nd pic (i swear he’s poing :S)

SO yeah, thats my dog, lewis.
Dan x

Links edited to display images - Bob

Posted by Spooky2k in barry, wales on March 17, 2005 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Can’t seem to get the photos to work, Spooky…?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 17, 2005 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

here ya go, sorry about the poopy links up there:
1st pic:
2nd pic:
hope those work for you.
Dan x

Posted by Spooky2k in barry, wales on March 17, 2005 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

Weeble - 1988-2005

:o(

Posted by MadPict in UK on March 18, 2005 at 2:22 AM (PDT)

Here’s mine

Posted by ogvor on March 18, 2005 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

These are some great pictures… awesome dogs… thanks guys!

And Bob, :-(. Sorry about Weeble…

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 19, 2005 at 7:54 AM (PDT)