Backstage: On RealNetworks and the iPod
Over the last few days, I’ve been enjoying the diversity of press reaction to RealNetworks’ announcement of Harmony, the wittily-named new application that enables companies other than Apple to create digitally protected music for the iPod. A few articles have made positive comments. Most reports have taken a wait and see approach. And then we have something as remarkably strange as BusinessWeek opining that “it’s in Apple’s best interest” to “loudly inform iPod owners that Apple will no longer honor their warranty if they buy songs from Real or other rival online music stores.” (When I was a kid, business magazines used to espouse a little something called laissez faire economics, didn’t they?)
The impetus for all of this clamor is RealNetworks, which despite (or perhaps because of) a very public one finger salute from Apple some months ago, still managed to roll out an iPod-compatible online music store with 500,000 songs. But that’s not the real story. The 99 cent songs are encoded at a higher bitrate than Apple’s versions - 192K - and apparently in AAC format, at least for iPod use. Early reports suggest that each core downloaded and copy-protected music file is subsequently converted into formats compatible with different players, which would be an impressive feat if it’s legally accomplished. One song could play on any device.
For consumers, especially iPod users, alternative sources and increased quality would be good news. RealNetworks’ offering would mark the first legally downloadable competition on a quality basis (rather than just price) for Apple’s 128Kbps-encoded AAC tracks from the iTunes Music Store, and would add to the variety of legal music downloading choices already available. It might even compel Apple to stop using low bitrate compression for its own files. But as of now, the Harmony download pages appear to be down, indicating that the beta software either had fatal bugs, or that a certain company received a cease-and-desist letter written in blood and smelling vaguely of rotting fruit. Something tells me that we’ll hear more on that subject later today…
(Update: Looks like the download page re-routes Mac users, but lets PC users get the Harmony-enabled version 10.5 of RealPlayer.)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?