Backstage: On the Portable Media Center backlash
If registration weren’t required (or you wanted the hassle), you could read a reporter for a reputable publication opining on Microsoft’s Portable Media Centers at this link that “there just aren’t that many places where you can make use of” portable video devices, and how “other passengers… [would] think of anybody lugging around such a clunky gadget: ‘loser.’”
Frequent Backstage readers already know that iLounge’s editors (a) love their iPods and (b) don’t exactly love Microsoft, but (c) aren’t closed minded to non-Apple innovations or cool new gadgets. Given these factors, it should only come as a partial surprise that we remain intrigued by the Portable Media Centers and won’t dismiss them out of hand, despite the fact that they’re not receiving the warmest of welcomes from the press these days. We think that if portable video had the right software package - read: TiVo, a legal DVD ripper, and access to a cheap pay-per-view TV library a la iTunes - the recipe would have the missing ingredient (or killer app, in Silicon Valley terminology) it needs to be a breakaway success.
We’re really curious, though, what you think about these portable audio, video and digital photo devices. Is it worth our time to pursue them for Backstage reviews, or should we ignore them altogether until Apple gets off its rear and joins the fray?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?