Backstage: On the Portable Media Center backlash
If registration weren’t required (or you wanted the hassle), you could read a reporter for a reputable publication opining on Microsoft’s Portable Media Centers at this link that “there just aren’t that many places where you can make use of” portable video devices, and how “other passengers… [would] think of anybody lugging around such a clunky gadget: ‘loser.’”
Frequent Backstage readers already know that iLounge’s editors (a) love their iPods and (b) don’t exactly love Microsoft, but (c) aren’t closed minded to non-Apple innovations or cool new gadgets. Given these factors, it should only come as a partial surprise that we remain intrigued by the Portable Media Centers and won’t dismiss them out of hand, despite the fact that they’re not receiving the warmest of welcomes from the press these days. We think that if portable video had the right software package - read: TiVo, a legal DVD ripper, and access to a cheap pay-per-view TV library a la iTunes - the recipe would have the missing ingredient (or killer app, in Silicon Valley terminology) it needs to be a breakaway success.
We’re really curious, though, what you think about these portable audio, video and digital photo devices. Is it worth our time to pursue them for Backstage reviews, or should we ignore them altogether until Apple gets off its rear and joins the fray?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple TV adds Shomi, CraveTV channels in Canada
- Apple TV adds CBS Sports, USA Now channels
- GE’s intelligent LED lightbulbs will work with HomeKit
- Apple releases band design guidelines for Apple Watch
- New Apple TV remote to have touchpad
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?