Backstage: The next iPod competitor is… Xbox 360?
Once in a rare while, we use Backstage to talk about interesting rumors that are circulating in the industry, and today’s going to be one of those occasions. For the news purists out there, we’ll say up front: none of this is confirmed, and it may all just be idle gossip, so we’ll have to see for ourselves.
We’ve been hearing for months that Microsoft’s new game console (once known as Xenon, now dubbed Xbox 360) was going to come in two or more flavors, and that at least one of them is going to include a hard disk for storage. Last we heard, Microsoft was planning to manufacture around 80% of their machines with the hard disk, and 20% without. The 20% will be sold for the plausible price of $299, while the other 80% will sell for the “uh oh, that reminds me of Sega’s Saturn” price of $399. If your local store just happens to be sold out of the $299 model you saw in the newspaper, you can always buy the $399 one. In our book, that would be bait-and-switch, only taken to a new height.
But… what if the $399 model came with something you might actually not mind having? Like, a portable hard disk (or flash drive) that’s also a portable digital music player? Made by a company that’s increasingly desperate to get people interested in its mostly ignored MSN Music store. And the drive would also be sold separately, for say, $100-150, quite possibly in various capacities and at different price points.
And what if you sidestepped the media by debuting the whole digital music player thing on a worldwide MTV presentation on May 12 and 13? And convinced MTV to “provide ongoing in-depth coverage of the next-generation Xbox highlighting the latest news, product details and previews of hot next-generation games”? That would be pretty sneaky, and a good way to manuever your way around jaded video game journalists who aren’t as excited about the Xbox 360 as Microsoft is.
Again, this is a rumor. But it makes a lot of sense - unlike that picture above, which is supposed to be the Xbox 360’s new logo, and amply demonstrates the fallacy of using focus groups to make important decisions.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?