Backstage: The U.S. arrival of Power Support
Some people like Japanese products just because they’re Japanese. As a former exchange student and visitor to Japan, I’ve had thirteen or more years to get past that mindset. Today, the Japanese products I like are those that embody the best traits of Japanese design: elegance and an unusually high degree of attention to detail, texture, fit, and form. For these reasons, the soft launch of Power Support’s English-language, U.S.-based website is nothing short of an exciting event for me. And if you appreciate excellent design work, you’ll want to check it out immediately.
The oddly-named company has been selling awesome, decidedly Japanese accessories for iPods (and computers) through a Japan-only website for some time. Dennis and I have been hoping for many months that Power Support would export their catalog to customers outside of Japan, and finally, they have.
The company’s U.S. arm, Power Support USA, now has a bunch of new iPod accessories available for U.S. customers:
iPod Silicone Jacket set* (includes Crystal and Wheel Film)
iPod Crystal Film* (screen protector)
iPod Wheel Film* (protective donuts for the iPod wheel)
iPod Stand* (renamed iPod Mobile Stand for U.S., includes free Jacket and Film)
iPod Simple Stand* (likely includes free Jacket and Film)
iPod Flex Stand* (renamed iPod Swivel Fix Stand for U.S., includes free Jacket and Film)
The iPod mini gets all of the * accessories too, plus an exclusive case called the Crystal Jacket.
Japanese consumers can also buy an iPod Power Adapter, plus two other stands called the iPod Stand Universal, and iPod Flex Stand Universal, each designed to hold encased iPods. And the Japanese site supports 1G/2G iPods with a number of items, as well. If you’re a Mac lover, check out the G5 Skate and Rooftop accessories. My personal wish list includes an Ergo PowerBook stand and those PowerBook air vents. The stuff is just too cool.
Reviews of the aforementioned items (except the Simple Stand) are forthcoming, as is a review of Tunewear’s new Prie case, another cool release from the land of the rising sun. This is a great, great time to be an iPod owner.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: AirPods delay due to problems with wireless audio synchronization
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10