Backstage: The U.S. arrival of Power Support
Some people like Japanese products just because they’re Japanese. As a former exchange student and visitor to Japan, I’ve had thirteen or more years to get past that mindset. Today, the Japanese products I like are those that embody the best traits of Japanese design: elegance and an unusually high degree of attention to detail, texture, fit, and form. For these reasons, the soft launch of Power Support’s English-language, U.S.-based website is nothing short of an exciting event for me. And if you appreciate excellent design work, you’ll want to check it out immediately.
The oddly-named company has been selling awesome, decidedly Japanese accessories for iPods (and computers) through a Japan-only website for some time. Dennis and I have been hoping for many months that Power Support would export their catalog to customers outside of Japan, and finally, they have.
The company’s U.S. arm, Power Support USA, now has a bunch of new iPod accessories available for U.S. customers:
iPod Silicone Jacket set* (includes Crystal and Wheel Film)
iPod Crystal Film* (screen protector)
iPod Wheel Film* (protective donuts for the iPod wheel)
iPod Stand* (renamed iPod Mobile Stand for U.S., includes free Jacket and Film)
iPod Simple Stand* (likely includes free Jacket and Film)
iPod Flex Stand* (renamed iPod Swivel Fix Stand for U.S., includes free Jacket and Film)
The iPod mini gets all of the * accessories too, plus an exclusive case called the Crystal Jacket.
Japanese consumers can also buy an iPod Power Adapter, plus two other stands called the iPod Stand Universal, and iPod Flex Stand Universal, each designed to hold encased iPods. And the Japanese site supports 1G/2G iPods with a number of items, as well. If you’re a Mac lover, check out the G5 Skate and Rooftop accessories. My personal wish list includes an Ergo PowerBook stand and those PowerBook air vents. The stuff is just too cool.
Reviews of the aforementioned items (except the Simple Stand) are forthcoming, as is a review of Tunewear’s new Prie case, another cool release from the land of the rising sun. This is a great, great time to be an iPod owner.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app