Backstage: The U.S. arrival of Power Support
Some people like Japanese products just because they’re Japanese. As a former exchange student and visitor to Japan, I’ve had thirteen or more years to get past that mindset. Today, the Japanese products I like are those that embody the best traits of Japanese design: elegance and an unusually high degree of attention to detail, texture, fit, and form. For these reasons, the soft launch of Power Support’s English-language, U.S.-based website is nothing short of an exciting event for me. And if you appreciate excellent design work, you’ll want to check it out immediately.
The oddly-named company has been selling awesome, decidedly Japanese accessories for iPods (and computers) through a Japan-only website for some time. Dennis and I have been hoping for many months that Power Support would export their catalog to customers outside of Japan, and finally, they have.
The company’s U.S. arm, Power Support USA, now has a bunch of new iPod accessories available for U.S. customers:
iPod Silicone Jacket set* (includes Crystal and Wheel Film)
iPod Crystal Film* (screen protector)
iPod Wheel Film* (protective donuts for the iPod wheel)
iPod Stand* (renamed iPod Mobile Stand for U.S., includes free Jacket and Film)
iPod Simple Stand* (likely includes free Jacket and Film)
iPod Flex Stand* (renamed iPod Swivel Fix Stand for U.S., includes free Jacket and Film)
The iPod mini gets all of the * accessories too, plus an exclusive case called the Crystal Jacket.
Japanese consumers can also buy an iPod Power Adapter, plus two other stands called the iPod Stand Universal, and iPod Flex Stand Universal, each designed to hold encased iPods. And the Japanese site supports 1G/2G iPods with a number of items, as well. If you’re a Mac lover, check out the G5 Skate and Rooftop accessories. My personal wish list includes an Ergo PowerBook stand and those PowerBook air vents. The stuff is just too cool.
Reviews of the aforementioned items (except the Simple Stand) are forthcoming, as is a review of Tunewear’s new Prie case, another cool release from the land of the rising sun. This is a great, great time to be an iPod owner.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?