Backstage: Things you might care about
This’ll be a brief Backstage entry, but one with a few topics that might be of interest to different people.
First, we’re returning to more regular updates of Backstage after a recent Buyers’ Guide-imposed lull. So stay tuned for more. And there are going to be a lot of site updates this week as well.
Second, we’ve been in touch with Apple regarding the audio defect issue in the iPod Photo. For what it’s worth, though it’s still an annoying little sound when you hear it, we’ve mentioned to Apple (and also the Audio Defect thread) that it’s quieter in the Photo than in the 4G - in our experience, at least. Different 4G iPods exhibited the Defect at different volume levels from what we gathered, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with the Photo. All three of the iPod Photos we’ve tested at this point have the same issue, at around the same volume. Consider it a 10% annoyance versus the 4G iPod’s 35% annoyance.
My guess is that you’ll certainly not hear it through Apple’s headphones, and might never hear it if you’re using typical $50 headphones, though better quality ones have a better chance of picking it up. We hear the sound clearly through our UE-10 Pros and fairly well in our Etymotic ER-4Ps, but it’s less noticeable with earbuds that let ambient outside sound in. Average users won’t care, but then, the sort of people buying iPod Photos have more cash, possibly better gear, and more reason to complain.
We’d resigned ourselves to keeping our iPod Photos that exhibited the issue, because it’s relatively tame by comparison with the highly noticeable sound in the 4G iPods we’ve tested, but then sent one of our units back to Apple at its request for testing. We’ll update if there’s something new to say, and of course always appreciate your comments on the topic.
Third, if anyone’s interested in parting with a first-generation 1G iPod, working or non-working e-mail me at jeremy@(nospam)ilounge.com with condition, price, etc. We have one already but I’m interested in getting another for the right price.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10