Backstage: Tiger kills first day’s productivity, then raises it
When it first arrives (ordered direct from Apple) a day ahead of schedule, then installs smoothly onto all three of my computers, Mac OS X Tiger is 75% thrilling, 25% frightening. Within minutes of finishing each machine’s installation, it’s already making significant progress in indexing each of my hard disks, making metadata connections between files that I can’t quite believe. Search the files on my computer by the person who originally sent them to me? Yeah. Simultaneously pull up a flight tracker, dictionary, Japanese-to-English language translator, currency converter and the Yellow Pages with one press of the F12 button? Yup. Today is the day I can’t get anything done because I’m too busy learning how to work smarter for the next two years.
And then there’s the new iChat stuff. My old “microphone-enabled” icon now looks like a stack of three icons to indicate that I can have multi-person voice chats. The one chat I’ve tried this morning with an iLounger in France was clearer and better-sounding than any I’d had with the last Mac OS. And Mail just looks ten times better than before. All of my information, sorted however I like it, with video and audio that’s better than ever before coming from multiple directions at once.
That’s the scary part. This had better be every bit as secure as they’ve been promising. Because the last thing I want is to have my super hard drive indices accessible to random people - or not-so-random people - via the Internet. Tiger is about to enable an entirely amazing new level of simplified personal computing, but in the wrong hands, its tools could also make personal hacking and snooping far more dangerous than ever before. After seeing how Microsoft nosedived over the past 18 months, I’m trusting Apple not to let hackers find ways to abuse these tools - and certainly hoping that the company doesn’t do anything foolish like that, itself.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?