Backstage: Ugh, more rumors - PSP and iPod AV
If the third time’s really the charm, we might have to wait for the “color-screened iPod” rumor to surface once more before it actually happens. But yeah, for the second time in the last couple of months, the rumor is that Apple’s going to release a 60GB color-screened, digital photo ready iPod before Christmas. Thicker and heavier than the current 40GB model, the new iPod would supposedly sync with Apple’s iPhoto application (Mac only? Hmmmm) and likely include a higher-resolution (but still 2”) display, a video out port, larger-capacity battery, etc. The current rumor has it that the new iPod will play back digital photos, but won’t have its own media reader for transferring them off of a camera. I strongly, strongly hope that part is at least half inaccurate.
Since this rumor stuff turns out to be wrong on the particulars so often, I’m reserving judgment for when and if the actual announcement is made. But if the rumor turns out to be near-term true, I will be very anxious to see a new and improved color user interface, and disappointed if one isn’t there. Your thoughts?
On another rumor note, the other story making rounds is that Sony’s picked March 2005 (Japan) and September 2005 (USA) as launch dates for the PlayStation Portable, with an eye-popping price tag of $300 to further salt the wounds of delay. Then there’s the PlayStation 3, which according to current rumors Sony won’t release until 2006, but is trying very hard anyway to secure May 2005 (E3) magazine covers so as to ruin Microsoft’s Xbox 2 rollout. I don’t need to further editorialize on the PSP, but it looks like if there was ever a chance for Sony to be roundly dethroned in the electronic entertainment market, now’s the time.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Apple eyed Bill Simmons for exclusive podcast deal
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?