Backstage: Ugh, more rumors - PSP and iPod AV
If the third time’s really the charm, we might have to wait for the “color-screened iPod” rumor to surface once more before it actually happens. But yeah, for the second time in the last couple of months, the rumor is that Apple’s going to release a 60GB color-screened, digital photo ready iPod before Christmas. Thicker and heavier than the current 40GB model, the new iPod would supposedly sync with Apple’s iPhoto application (Mac only? Hmmmm) and likely include a higher-resolution (but still 2”) display, a video out port, larger-capacity battery, etc. The current rumor has it that the new iPod will play back digital photos, but won’t have its own media reader for transferring them off of a camera. I strongly, strongly hope that part is at least half inaccurate.
Since this rumor stuff turns out to be wrong on the particulars so often, I’m reserving judgment for when and if the actual announcement is made. But if the rumor turns out to be near-term true, I will be very anxious to see a new and improved color user interface, and disappointed if one isn’t there. Your thoughts?
On another rumor note, the other story making rounds is that Sony’s picked March 2005 (Japan) and September 2005 (USA) as launch dates for the PlayStation Portable, with an eye-popping price tag of $300 to further salt the wounds of delay. Then there’s the PlayStation 3, which according to current rumors Sony won’t release until 2006, but is trying very hard anyway to secure May 2005 (E3) magazine covers so as to ruin Microsoft’s Xbox 2 rollout. I don’t need to further editorialize on the PSP, but it looks like if there was ever a chance for Sony to be roundly dethroned in the electronic entertainment market, now’s the time.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!