Backstage: Why the RadioSHARK may change our lives
It’s rare that something potentially amazing arrives for testing at iLounge, but today, one such something showed up. I’m currently playing with Griffin’s long anticipated, once-rumored-never-to-be-coming-out RadioSHARK, a PC/Mac compatible accessory that lets you record FM and AM radio broadcasts for later listening… on your computer OR iPod.
Or iPod. Record radio on your computer and listen on YOUR iPOD. RadioSHARK is the device that Howard Stern and other talk radio fans have wanted for more than a decade, and it supports AAC format (read: iPod compatible, highly compressed) recording. It’s like TiVo, but for broadcast radio, and with far more on-the-road enjoyment potential. Imagine “time shifting” (recording) your favorite radio programs and listening to them whenever you want. Or pausing and rewinding live radio in real time. It all works. If no one screws this cool toy up with a lawsuit, it could change the way we listen to radio - and dramatically improve revenues for radio stations by rendering their late-night and early-morning programming even more accessible to larger audiences.
Only limitation so far: I’m getting a little static in the high-interference location where the RadioSHARK’s being tested. But I’m going to try and get rid of that. This thing is too cool not to like.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?