Backstage: Xbox 360 and the iPod, part deux
When we last checked in with the Xbox 360 rumor mill, Microsoft was supposedly considering the platform as a potential challenger to Apple’s iPod: a game console with a portable storage device that also serves as a music player. If the latest whispers we’ve heard prove true, the company’s impending strategy is going to be even more Apple-influenced than we’d expected. You’ve probably already seen the shots of the console, which has widely been described as highly Applesque in person, but what’s coming next are the commercials and the spin. Apparently, the Xbox 360’s going to be pitched globally as the “must-have” gadget of the year (hear that, iPod and PSP?), and its music functionality is going to be a major emphasis of the campaign. Early shots of one side of the system suggest that a 40GB hard drive is in the offing, if nothing else.
The only hard part to swallow is what we’ve heard recently about the company’s earlier plan to sell two versions - one at $299, one at $399 with the portable drive - with 80% of the initial consoles being the more expensive one. Now we’re hearing that the company’s (wisely) skipping the spooky $399 price point, but - and here’s the part we’d call “impossible” - still planning to include the portable drive for the lower price. Sure, Microsoft’s accustomed to losing money on these things (billions of dollars, literally, on the first Xbox), but is it really ready to eat $100 or so per unit for a pocketable 40GB hard drive? It’s almost unimaginable, except for a company that’s looking to consolidate two second-place divisions (music and Xbox) under one line item for purposes of bleeding money (and desperately fighting for market share).
We’ll see. The debut is only a week away at this point, but we’re betting that the machine ships with a smaller drive - or none at all. Microsoft’s not dumb enough to get stuck fighting hard drive component prices twice in a row, is it?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?