Backstage: Yes, the iPod is THAT important to Apple
This isn’t an Abe Hirschfeld caricature (or a Highlights for Children Hidden Pictures game for that matter), but if you had to guess how many iPods were in this window of a bricks-and-mortar Apple Store, what number would you guess? Between 1 and 3? How about 5? Maybe 8? Ten?
If you answered 11, you’re mostly correct. As it turns out, Apple’s new rotating store displays include 5 new 4G iPods on one side, then flip to reveal 5 iPod minis on the other. The most interesting part: a reference to “collect all five” on the iPod mini side, the first suggestion from Apple to date that one person (other than Karl Lagerfeld) might want to own multiple iPods.
And then there’s the sign, which makes 11. But behind the display sits a row of Macintosh computers, each with its own docked iPod. Then there’s the other window, which features yet another collection of iPods, and the store’s entryway, which has one more stand-up sign touting the iPod. Yes, the iPod’s here to stay. And it seems like Apple wants to make sure we don’t forget it.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015