By Request, a Preview of iLounge’s Comprehensive iPhone 3GS Review (Updated)
When we first created Backstage, we did so for two reasons: to let readers preview articles that might or might not appear on the main iLounge web site, and to discuss topics such as video games, Mac computers, and the like that weren’t necessarily of interest to the broader iLounge readership. Over time, Backstage has shifted more to the off-topic stuff than the advance article previews.
We’ve received e-mails and comments requesting our initial findings on various details of the iPhone 3GS’s performance. Rather than just posting them in a summary table, I had hoped to post the roughly drafted iPhone 3GS review here on Backstage. But due to its 10-page length, posting it in preliminary form on the main iLounge page—with appropriate caveats as to its non-final nature—seemed like a better idea.
So, you can see our comprehensive but preliminary iPhone 3GS review at this link, complete with some very interesting battery, Bluetooth, audio quality, and screen quality findings, as well as notes on compass and GPS performance, photo and video recording performance, and more. Pictures, audio, and video are for the moment linked rather than in-line. There will be a ton more before the review is done. Enjoy what’s there for now.
Updated: The second draft, radically expanded, is available now.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple has sold one billion iPhones
- Parkopedia to provide detailed parking information for Apple Maps [Updated]
- Microsoft releases Pix camera app for iPhone
- Adobe launches new Lightroom viewer for Apple TV
- Australian banks team up to push for other mobile payment apps on iPhone
- Report: iPhone 7 may feature 3D Touch home button
- Apple turning ‘Carpool Karaoke’ into an Apple Music exclusive
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q3 results: $42.4B revenue, 40M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- Researchers expose security flaw in Osram smart bulbs
- Moe Bull Stand for iPad Air 2 + 9.7” iPad Pro
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app