By Request, a Preview of iLounge’s Comprehensive iPhone 3GS Review (Updated)
Published: Sunday, June 21, 2009
When we first created Backstage, we did so for two reasons: to let readers preview articles that might or might not appear on the main iLounge web site, and to discuss topics such as video games, Mac computers, and the like that weren’t necessarily of interest to the broader iLounge readership. Over time, Backstage has shifted more to the off-topic stuff than the advance article previews.
We’ve received e-mails and comments requesting our initial findings on various details of the iPhone 3GS’s performance. Rather than just posting them in a summary table, I had hoped to post the roughly drafted iPhone 3GS review here on Backstage. But due to its 10-page length, posting it in preliminary form on the main iLounge page—with appropriate caveats as to its non-final nature—seemed like a better idea.
So, you can see our comprehensive but preliminary iPhone 3GS review at this link, complete with some very interesting battery, Bluetooth, audio quality, and screen quality findings, as well as notes on compass and GPS performance, photo and video recording performance, and more. Pictures, audio, and video are for the moment linked rather than in-line. There will be a ton more before the review is done. Enjoy what’s there for now.
Updated: The second draft, radically expanded, is available now.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- iOS 7.1.1 makes in-app purchases clear in Top Grossing chart
- Apple releases iOS 7.1.1
- Apps: 1Password 4.5, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Health Mate 2.0 + WeMo 1.5.1
- Apple Reuse & Recycling program expands to iPad
- Apple offering free recycling of used products in stores
- Report: 5.5” ‘iPhone Air’ may not be seen until 2015
- Apple interviewing candidates for mobile payment service
- Apple launches environmental responsibility campaign
- Apple TV adds A&E, History, Lifetime channels
- Nike stopping FuelBand production
- Pelican ProGear Voyager for iPhone 5/5s
- ZeroChroma Vario-Edge for iPhone 5/5c/5s + Vortex for iPhone 5c
- JBL Synchros S300i Stereo Headphones
- AKG K845BT Over-Ear Bluetooth Headset
- JBL Voyager Home Audio System With Portable Wireless Speaker
- Harman Kardon Esquire Executive Portable Wireless Speaker
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac