Cambridge Gets an Apple Store, in Grand Style
This year is supposed to bring major expansion to Apple’s international retail presence. I have seen this firsthand, as today marked the opening of the 15th UK Apple Store, this one in the “Grand Arcade” in Cambridge.
Whilst this is not really headline news by iLounge standards, it’s personally important for me as it now means I don’t have to travel an hour and a half to get to an actual Apple Store. Or send my iMac in for 10 days when it needs a repair.
As the opening also coincided with the that of the Grand Arcade, a new expansion of a local shopping mall, the numbers of people attending the event were quite high. Even so, there was a queue set aside solely for the Apple Store once visitors were inside the mall. It’s hard to make out from all the other foot traffic, but it was there.
In keeping with previous Apple Store opening events, the first 1,000 visitors through the door were given a free black T-shirt, bearing the usual Apple logo and “Grand Arcade” on the front, and entry to the Grand Opening Sweepstakes to win a 13-inch black MacBook and a silver 4GB iPod nano. Once inside, there were no surprises in terms of inventory, but it was nice to have access to some of the accessories I’m used to finding only in London, Bluewater or San Francisco locations of the Store when I make my way there. The store layout and displays followed the Apple corporate look, though one difference to the stores I have visited, was the apparent lack of a till point (cash register). Staff were equipped with portable card readers in holsters although, when I asked, I was informed that there was a till at the rear of the store where the Genius Bar was located.
There was certainly a good turn out for the Apple Store, such that the free T-shirts had all been handed out by the end of the first hour, accompanied of course by the obligatory clapping and cheering from store staff. One of the staff said that they were pleased at the level of attendance at the event. If it’s anything like other Apple Stores I’ve visited, this will be the first busy day of many yet to come.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10