Cambridge Gets an Apple Store, in Grand Style
This year is supposed to bring major expansion to Apple’s international retail presence. I have seen this firsthand, as today marked the opening of the 15th UK Apple Store, this one in the “Grand Arcade” in Cambridge.
Whilst this is not really headline news by iLounge standards, it’s personally important for me as it now means I don’t have to travel an hour and a half to get to an actual Apple Store. Or send my iMac in for 10 days when it needs a repair.
As the opening also coincided with the that of the Grand Arcade, a new expansion of a local shopping mall, the numbers of people attending the event were quite high. Even so, there was a queue set aside solely for the Apple Store once visitors were inside the mall. It’s hard to make out from all the other foot traffic, but it was there.
In keeping with previous Apple Store opening events, the first 1,000 visitors through the door were given a free black T-shirt, bearing the usual Apple logo and “Grand Arcade” on the front, and entry to the Grand Opening Sweepstakes to win a 13-inch black MacBook and a silver 4GB iPod nano. Once inside, there were no surprises in terms of inventory, but it was nice to have access to some of the accessories I’m used to finding only in London, Bluewater or San Francisco locations of the Store when I make my way there. The store layout and displays followed the Apple corporate look, though one difference to the stores I have visited, was the apparent lack of a till point (cash register). Staff were equipped with portable card readers in holsters although, when I asked, I was informed that there was a till at the rear of the store where the Genius Bar was located.
There was certainly a good turn out for the Apple Store, such that the free T-shirts had all been handed out by the end of the first hour, accompanied of course by the obligatory clapping and cheering from store staff. One of the staff said that they were pleased at the level of attendance at the event. If it’s anything like other Apple Stores I’ve visited, this will be the first busy day of many yet to come.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods or accessories, or if you sell or market products, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators. Wondering why we're talking about something other than iPods? Check the Archives: Backstage has been here and kicking it since 2004.
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Apple releases first iOS 10.1, watchOS 3.1, tvOS 10.0.1 developer betas
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps